Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sanitizing old safety razors?

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Hello! I've recently found 2 old single edge safety razors that really are quite nice... I'd love to use them occasionally if I could, but I know I need to sanitize and clean them first.
What are the general steps/procedures to such a thing? I've searched old threads but couldn't find anything with enough detail to suffice. Help, please! THANKS FOLKS!!

RJCNTX

Familiar Face
When I purchased a vintage Gillette double edge safety razor I placed entire razor in boiling water for several minutes. I also used an old tooth brush and q tips with a bleach water solution to rub it down further. This was on the razor itself as I purchased new blades of course.

you could also check out www.shavemyface.com for additional information.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay, I am a sucker for old razors and here is what I do. First, spray with Scrubbing Bubbles and let sit for a few minutes. Scrub with an old toothbrush, this will get it very clean, then soak in Barbicide, you can get this at any beauty supply. This is what barbers/beauticians use to clean their combs and razors. Boiling can damage some older finishes or scales. Good luck and enjoy!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The boiling water is probably plenty enough. The pressure cooker just gets the water to a higher temperature (water won't go higher than 212 in an open pan), which is the whole idea behind the autoclave. It's pressurized and the water get hotter and heats the item even more to kill even the most persistant germs and bacteria.

As for modern razors versus vintage straight and double-edge razors - you probably could see the difference between a face shaved with a modern razor and a vintage razor. Even if you couldn't see it, you would DEFINITELY feel the difference. It's a much closer, smoother cut, and a more long-lasting shave.

Randy

Familiar Face
DeaconKC said:
Drop in over at http://www.badgerandblade.com I don't use a straight, so I can't answer, but it's a good bunch over there and you will see a lot of familiar faces from here.

+1

This is a fantastic source of information on this topic. There are other forums as well, but this is the one that I am most familiar with, and know personally to be a good source of information.

- Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner