Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saving a hat!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
A neighbor gave me this straw hat, it had been underneath a large heavy box, which flattened the hat about like having an elephant sit on it...but...from some of the information learned here, I was able to clean it up, and make a new thin ribbon for it, as I have a ton of vintage ribbon, and after spending a few hours of "coaxing" the kinks and crooks out of the hat, this is where it looks now....

This was actually such a nice hat, and even though I could still do some more work on it, I like it just as it is. I cannot tell what name brand the hat is, it does have a wide black leather sweat band, but nothing readable on it. 2 1/8 brim, 4 inch crown, and fits me like it was made for me. I have to thank all the fellow loungers that have posted about fixing hats, inspiring me to fix this one, or this hat would just be a part of franken-hats that get tossed!

It actually reminds me of the playboy by stetson, but a straw version!

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Very nice job! You give me hope for summer straw rehab projects. :)

I know what you mean there, I am already on the "prowl" for some nice summer hats. Been thinking of a Borsalino from Benchcraft, Panama, to add to my current collection, but then I am thinking of getting another Optimo....

quixoticTexan

New in Town
My first post, and I hope it's appropriate and in the right place.
Opened what I thought was an empty box in my attic (house used to be my parents'), and found this. Is there any hope? The inner band leather is still fairly pliable.
IMG_8281.jpg IMG_8280.jpg IMG_8273.jpg IMG_8274.jpg IMG_8275.jpg IMG_8276.jpg IMG_8277.jpg IMG_8278.jpg

My first post, and I hope it's appropriate and in the right place.
Opened what I thought was an empty box in my attic (house used to be my parents'), and found this. Is there any hope? The inner band leather is still fairly pliable.
View attachment 209406 View attachment 209412 View attachment 209413 View attachment 209414 View attachment 209415 View attachment 209416 View attachment 209417 View attachment 209418
Good score regardless. The felt looks to be in good condition. The verdigris on the liner and the brim binding is hard to get rid of.....I have had very little success at removal. I suggest if you want to keep the hat you send it out for a refurbishment. Fixing the popped stitches in the leather is an easy fix for a hatter as long as the leather is pliable. If the stitching is just popped in that area and the rest is sound they may just do a hand stitch of the damaged area. One other consideration is if it cannot be fully cleaned wear it as is and accept the stains as part of its antique patina and character plus any sentimental value as a bonus..

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The sweatband repair will depend on the condition of the leather. Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works was unfortunately unable to save one of my un-reeded Borso sweats that also had that corrugated ventilation.

And yes, that hat is un-shaped, or "open crown" in hat parlance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy