Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scala Fedoras - Good quality?

Kangfish

Familiar Face
My first hat was a fur felt SCALA from ebay for 19.99 new with tags. No one else bid on it. I loved it at first but soon wished I'd spent a little more and bought a better one from the Lounge classifieds once I found this place. I've seen some pretty nice hats here for as little as 30 or 40 bucks and watching ebay Ive seen some pretty nice ones go for 25 to 50 dollars. But... I can wear a size 7 or 7 1/8 'cause I seem to be right in the middle. More hats in the smaller sizes go for pretty cheap I'd rather buy from FL members than ebay because everyone here seems pretty honest and reasonable. With ebay you 'pays your money and takes you chances'. As for as the SCALA I have, I do wear it a lot 'cause I'll grab it if I'm just knocking around and don't know what I might be doing and if I mess it up it's no big loss. All in all not a bad hat though. My advice (which is far from experet) is to wait for something a little better in the used market. If I may ask what size are you and what style of hat do you think you like? I'll keep you in mind in my constant search of thrift stores and the like. - Kangfish

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Kangfish said:
My first hat was a fur felt SCALA from ebay for 19.99 new with tags. No one else bid on it. I loved it at first but soon wished I'd spent a little more and bought a better one from the Lounge classifieds once I found this place. I've seen some pretty nice hats here for as little as 30 or 40 bucks and watching ebay Ive seen some pretty nice ones go for 25 to 50 dollars. But... I can wear a size 7 or 7 1/8 'cause I seem to be right in the middle. More hats in the smaller sizes go for pretty cheap I'd rather buy from FL members than ebay because everyone here seems pretty honest and reasonable. With ebay you 'pays your money and takes you chances'. As for as the SCALA I have, I do wear it a lot 'cause I'll grab it if I'm just knocking around and don't know what I might be doing and if I mess it up it's no big loss. All in all not a bad hat though. My advice (which is far from experet) is to wait for something a little better in the used market. If I may ask what size are you and what style of hat do you think you like? I'll keep you in mind in my constant search of thrift stores and the like. - Kangfish

I wear a 7 1/4 and prefer a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch brim. I am looking for a fur felt in brown, navy, gray, tan, or even black.

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Ok I'll keep an eye out for ya. No promises - could be a week could be a month, could be a year. Ya just never know. Do keep an eye on the classifieds here. There are some great deals from time to time. good luck. - Kangfish

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
I won a Scala on eBay and it came in on Saturday. I can see why you guys say this would be a beater hat. It is not bad, mind you, but it is not a high end hat. The tag says that this hat was made in China. I wonder if that is the case with all their hats.

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
The tag says that this hat was made in China. I wonder if that is the case with all t

I have several Scala (Dorfman Pacific) Flat caps and a Gatsby that were made in Sri Lanka. They are 35% wool and the rest is poly blends. Actually they are not bad caps although I would'nt compare them to a Kangol in quality.

Dasmoeturhead

Familiar Face
http:// Well it's not the most most expensive,the quality to me is ok. Sure it's not a vintage Steston, but I have worn it for about 4 years now. I were it almost everywhere from hunting camp, to dinner. It's the hat I grab when I go out the door. It has worn perfectly. It fits great, and does what is expected from it. Yes It's not as nice or as expensive as my new Steston Open Road, but the OR will have to gain my respect before I grab it on the way out the house instead of my old Scala. I beleive in these times you get what you pay for, but dang it's getting expensive to get what you might consider the best.

Last edited:

JimC

New in Town
http:// Well it's not the most most expensive,the quality to me is ok. Sure it's not a vintage Steston, but I have worn it for about 4 years now. I were it almost everywhere from hunting camp, to dinner. It's the hat I grab when I go out the door. It has worn perfectly. It fits great, and does what is expected from it. Yes It's not as nice or as expensive as my new Steston Open Road, but the OR will have to gain my respect before I grab it on the way out the house instead of my old Scala. I beleive in these times you get what you pay for, but dang it's getting expensive to get what you might consider the best.

Ditto that...I'm with ya. I can't afford to throw down the bucks for a new top o' the line hat and it's tough to find better quality used hats in larger sizes at a decent price. I do have a really nice Biltmore that I like a lot but I end up wearing my dirt cheap Scala fur felt more often. It's "decent" quality and I don't worry about mistreatin' it! The current economy has beaten most of the brand snobbery outta me!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner