Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scarlett O' Hara's Lipstick

lyburnum

Practically Family
I daren't post another photo of my face for fear of appearing vain, but this is the colour I was talking about by Max Factor:

mouth.jpg

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Hmmm...The closest I know is Clinique's Color Surge lipstick in 05 Peach Pop.
May be a but too coral/bright tho. Has to be applied lightly too.

It appears glossy here but isn't at all.
ls2mt8.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I see a little thank you is due on my part. Decobelle and MK thank you for the inntriguing history! Needless to say I didn't know any of that. (Just for the record, I did know that The Wizard of Oz was Technicolor, I've seen documentaries about it, not that I think anyone cares :eek: .) I justed pm:ed ShrinkingViolet to ask if I can try her NARS Casablanca on, hope I wasn't beeing too forward seeing we've never met! They didn' have it in my little city. Lyburnum that Max Factor does look spot on, I'll check that out - posting pics was a great idea! Thanks to everyone I haven't mentioned too, I'm bookmarking this thread!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I was reading InStyle on the train yesterday and saw this and remembered ya'll talking about peach lipsticks. Anyway, the Nars Casablanca is actually shown here- #3

00000001-1.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
lyburnum said:
161007001.jpg

That's the closest I have in Mac, which is pink plaid, however the one they're wearing looks more peachy pink than just pink.

I also have No7 'Waterlily' No. 90 in Moisture Drench, which is very very close to the one she's wearing, but it has a bit of a glitter to it which you may not want.

I have also discovered recently MaxFactors Lipfinity Colour & Gloss. It comes in two parts, but I found that if I just used the one end that it gave me fantastic matte lipstick that wore all day long and didn't budge. It's almost identical in shade to the one they're wearing as well. It's shade 570 'gleaming coral'. MaxFactor seem to have a lot of shades that would be suitable, so it may be worth checking them out.

That shade of lipstick is beautiful on you. Well done.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Revlon has their lip stains which, give that natural peachy/coral/reddish look to the lips without appearing like lipstick.

I would give those a try, I use them frequently when I dont' want to wear lipstick, then apply a sheer lipstick on top to balance the color. The result is bee stung looking lips without all the lipstick.

I-lecdetJustBit.jpg

I have their lipstain in Blood Orange and Cherry Tart. Nice combo.

P-lecJustBitten-lg.jpg

You may want to go to their website (Revlon) and check it out.

~Desi

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
See Sheer lipstick from MAC - although you need to blot, because otherwise it looks a bit moist, not matte.. I find that color to bring life tothe lips without them looking made up!

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
lyburnum said:
I daren't post another photo of my face for fear of appearing vain, but this is the colour I was talking about by Max Factor:

mouth.jpg

I was running around over the weekend trying to find this color, but couldn't. Is this a shade they only offer in the UK?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Funny, I always thought her lipstick was rather "un" natural looking, much too coral for the BBQ scene, and esp. the honeymoon dress stills. Depends on exactly which scene and the lighting tho. In some scenes I would call it a more tomato-bisque sort of shade.

With the bbq it almost exactly matches her pink coral necklace only darker depending on the lighting.
2468933928_79735b7d24_o.jpg

I'm loading some more pics to an album now to share, maybe they'll help!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/2468115789/in/set-72157600477992773/

I also dropped Judy Cameron a line, she wrote The Art Of GWTW... perhaps she's since learned new info. She's been working on a new book on Viv.

Lyburnum I think you pretty much nailed it here~
Nikki

lyburnum said:
mouth.jpg

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:

I'm only able to access the last comments by ohairas--is anyone else having this problem? There are several threads that are doing this.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
What about from Besame', the color carmine? I tried it years ago and thought it had a slight orange tinge.

samantha

The carmine is quite a bit more red, but combined with a skin toned pencil or blended with a beige/skin toned lipstick, it could turn out like that.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Real Swell Gal, what colour is the lipstick in your avatar? that is nice.

p.s. did half this thread disappear in the great FL crash of '08?

christa

New in Town
Snookie said:
For Judy Garland, they went through several makeup/hair variations on The Wizard of Oz, and they settled on this version because it looked more "natural", which goes with the idea that GWTW was supposed to be a natural look. They actually started filming with Judy in a blond curly wig and really heavy makeup.

That would have been almost cruel.
Even though I've seen documentaries where it's been stated that Judy Garland wasn't pretty enough for Hollywood, I think her natural look was a lot better than any wigs or pancake makeup.
Back then I believe a lot of stars of her age was compared to Shirley Temple as well.

As for makeup and b&w there's a lot of colors that simply won't look good if you use them in a "regular" way. Deep red rarely turn out as dark in b&w as you might think. Purple tend to get darker as b&w than deep red does and blue eyeshadow looks darker than for example brown eyeshadow..etc.

It's not rocket science...but I believe that a lot of the makeup used ever since the times of silent movies looked very different in reality than on film.

C.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
^ That is SUPER pretty, Laura!

lyburnum said:

mouth.jpg

I went looking for the Gleaming Coral today but I could only find the No. 640 Coral Cristall. I bought it and this is what it looks like:

coralcristallvj4.png

It's slightly darker and more orangey/pink than in the picture. I'm not sure if maybe yours is only sold in the UK, but it's a wonderful color and you wear it really well!
Honestly though, this gloss is really drying. I have to apply chapstick over it so it's not so dry, but I love the color.

Aorta

Familiar Face
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Revlon has their lip stains which, give that natural peachy/coral/reddish look to the lips without appearing like lipstick.

I would give those a try, I use them frequently when I dont' want to wear lipstick, then apply a sheer lipstick on top to balance the color. The result is bee stung looking lips without all the lipstick.

I knew somebody would mention the lip stains here :D. Found them on the American Revlon website some time ago and had an instant "must-have" feeling. Unfortunately, the lip stains are not available in Germany. I've contacted Revlon, but they don't plan to carry them around here shakeshead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner