Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 141 vs Vanson Comet: size and cut/fit

Booneville

New in Town
Hello,

I am eyeing a Vanson Comet PLU-3 in size 46.

I am 6'2", 220 lbs, with a 45.5"-46" chest. I recently tried Schott 141 44 Long, which is a tiny bit snug. (Pics below for ref.) Seems like Schott 141 46 Long will be ideal for me. I love the cut/fit of Schott 141, however, I am not fond of the underarm football as I am not a motorcycle rider.

My search led me to Vanson Comet PLU-3 from Thurston Bros. How does it compare with Schott 141 in the same size? Thurston Bros. website says Comet PLU-3 in size 46 measures 25.5 inches pit-to-pit. In theory, it should work for my 46" chest. In your experience, will the cut work for my body type?

Also, in terms of thickness and weight, how is Comet's "competition weight" leather in comparison with Schott 141?

Thanks,

Pics of Schott 141 44 Long:

Attachments

• Schott-141-44-Long-front.jpg
    Schott-141-44-Long-front.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 269

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I am 6’1” and 205 pounds with a 45” chest. I have a Comet PLU3 in size 46 and it fits me perfectly. My jacket is about 10 years old by my best guess, I picked it up secondhand. I just measured it and the P2P is 24.5” and the hem tapers down to 21.5”.
It seems like the jacket from Thurston should fit you just fine through the shoulders and the chest.

Booneville

New in Town
So I am 6’1” and 205 pounds with a 45” chest. I have a Comet PLU3 in size 46 and it fits me perfectly. My jacket is about 10 years old by my best guess, I picked it up secondhand. I just measured it and the P2P is 24.5” and the hem tapers down to 21.5”.
It seems like the jacket from Thurston should fit you just fine through the shoulders and the chest.
Perfect. Thank you

Schambach

Practically Family
I’m close to your size(6'1 220ish) and have both the 141 in 42L, and the comet in 44 plu3. The vanson is more of a motorcycle jacket, the schott is much more casual. Both fantastic though.

I love the 141 in general because it was my first good leather jacket. Ive had a couple in different sizes over the years . The long version a size down hits a sweet spot for me. The naked cowhide is lovely. Very soft, it’s like wearing a hoodie almost, aging nicely as well. Great for traveling, driving, probably my most comfortable leather jacket. The downsides are it feels a little more delicate, the sleeve zips are a joke, and I think the comet probably looks better on me as long as I don’t get too fat.

The comet is brilliant. Minimal. Perfect. It’s got way more of a taper than the 141, works well for V shaped torsos. The hardware is better, the sleeve zips are real. Mine is in a slightly lighter weight brown leather, motorcycle suit leather, nothing fancy. I’m not sure what the comp weight is like right now, it’s varied a lot over the years. If you order through Thurston you have choices of all sorts of hides, and they can send you a fit jacket to try first.

TLDR-Both awesome, but different, get both if you can!

Booneville

New in Town
I’m close to your size(6'1 220ish) and have both the 141 in 42L, and the comet in 44 plu3. The vanson is more of a motorcycle jacket, the schott is much more casual. Both fantastic though.

I love the 141 in general because it was my first good leather jacket. Ive had a couple in different sizes over the years . The long version a size down hits a sweet spot for me. The naked cowhide is lovely. Very soft, it’s like wearing a hoodie almost, aging nicely as well. Great for traveling, driving, probably my most comfortable leather jacket. The downsides are it feels a little more delicate, the sleeve zips are a joke, and I think the comet probably looks better on me as long as I don’t get too fat.

The comet is brilliant. Minimal. Perfect. It’s got way more of a taper than the 141, works well for V shaped torsos. The hardware is better, the sleeve zips are real. Mine is in a slightly lighter weight brown leather, motorcycle suit leather, nothing fancy. I’m not sure what the comp weight is like right now, it’s varied a lot over the years. If you order through Thurston you have choices of all sorts of hides, and they can send you a fit jacket to try first.

TLDR-Both awesome, but different, get both if you can!
Thanks, that was helpful. What is your chest size in inches?

chollie

One of the Regulars
I've had both of these jackets. They are very different. The Vanson is a much more trim fitting coat, mine is in the older comp weight leather, it is like a suit of armor. It's probably my favorite coat ever. The schott is much more wearable than the vanson. For me I size down in that style and the fit is just about right. I'm a big fan of Schott's naked cowhide too. But for my $$, almost nothing out there beats the comet plu-3. Love the big chunky double ended zipper, and I prefer the two pocket design as well. I don't ride these days but used to, imo they are a wash in that department. Both have their plusses and minuses. Overall though, it's vanson all day for me.

Schambach

Practically Family
Yup, should just be a wee bit larger than the 44 comet. I just measured mine as i was curious, pit to pit is 24.5", and the bottom hem is 20.5".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko