Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 141

Damo

A-List Customer
Hello again,

I managed to find this new size 40 schott 141 for a pretty good deal so I jumped on it. I was contemplating between this or a 641 HH but the price difference was a few hundred dollars and I wasn't able to try on the 641.

As many of you know the naked leather is soft and supple. It should break in quite quickly since I've been wearing all around the house. Its great the wifey has been making fun of me. I plan on wearing this jacket as a casual and no rain in the forecast motorcycle jacket. I'm not the biggest fan of the type of material the zip out liner is made out of but it does add warmth and when its warmer I can take it out.

Regarding the fit I do wish it was more fitted around the waist/mid section. The waist buckles can be tightened but I prefer the way the jacket looks without them fully cinched. But thats okay cause I can layer under it and also gives me an excuse to get another jacket. It fits well around the chest and the sleeve length is good too.

This technically wasn't my first leather jacket purchase (waiting on a vanson chopper and working with Alan on one) but it is the first jacket that I actually have. I really like the feel, smell and look of wearing a nice leather jacket. I do feel the American Cool of this jacket in Canada. I've posted a couple of quick and dirty shots. Thanks for reading probably something you all already heard/know about the Schott 141

IMG_20150205_204027.jpg IMG_20150205_204147.jpg

LouisBailie

Banned
You can make it tighter by putting it in a dryer with 10 or more towels and let it tumble for 20-30 mins on no heat cycle, take out put on and it will form to fit.

Use beeswax on the sippers and they will slide much easier also.

I have done it to several Schotts and Sansons.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Congrats Damo, it's a very good fit and will continue to mold to you and get even better. As you noted, since you have some other jackets coming, you'll end up finding the "niche" for each jacket... the one you wear when you're layering in the cold, the one to spill beer all over on pub nights, etc...

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, honestly, I wouldn't put a new jacket into a washing machine and tumble drier just because it does not fit like a diving suit. In fact, it looks like a very good fitting from the photo. Grayland is right, judging from the sleeves, it is almost the perfect fit.

pawineguy

One Too Many
How does that work with no heat? I never was good at science but I thought the heat was what was needed to shrink it.

You are correct. Tumbling will soften but not shrink. Sometimes softening the leather will lead it to drape better and so look better on the body. The problem in this example is that the rest of the jacket fits well so it's hard to just shrink the waist area.

Damo

A-List Customer
Thanks for kind words and suggestions.

I dont think i will be putting it in the dryer for now. I want to see how it looks when broken in before and if I try to make it anymore fitted.

I do recall Peacoat saying that water has shruken his naked leather jackets. so maybe once its broken in I can try getting it wet in a certain area once again that's if I want to.

@pawineeguy when comparing the 141 to the chopper the leather is much more softer to touch. I also found that the chopper made a lot of creeking noise when moving around in it. How's the break in process of the chopper going?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thanks for kind words and suggestions.

I dont think i will be putting it in the dryer for now. I want to see how it looks when broken in before and if I try to make it anymore fitted.

I do recall Peacoat saying that water has shruken his naked leather jackets. so maybe once its broken in I can try getting it wet in a certain area once again that's if I want to.

@pawineeguy when comparing the 141 to the chopper the leather is much more softer to touch. I also found that the chopper made a lot of creeking noise when moving around in it. How's the break in process of the chopper going?

It was coming along, but when I bought the Langlitz and ordered another, I decided to part with the Chopper and put it up on eBay. Vanson definitely requires some patience when breaking in, but they do turn out very nice once they start to soften. And yes, the creaking noise does eventually fade with the break in process.

Damo

A-List Customer
@ pawineeguy, good to hear that the noise lessens as it breaks in. Yes from having the jacket for a couple of days I thought it would be fun to break in. Dude how many jackets do you have in your collection? I feel like your burning through your collection with all these sales.

@ mendelboaz and monitor, thanks gents!

pawineguy

One Too Many
@ pawineeguy, good to hear that the noise lessens as it breaks in. Yes from having the jacket for a couple of days I thought it would be fun to break in. Dude how many jackets do you have in your collection? I feel like your burning through your collection with all these sales.

@ mendelboaz and monitor, thanks gents!

I still have plenty. I buy (jackets, watches, boots) and then I see what works for me and move the others along. I think I'll have 7 or 8 jackets when everything shakes out, which is actually far fewer than a lot of folks on here. I probably had 12 at the high.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nobody seems to mention i here but I've had 2 leather jacket taken in at the waist just like you would any other garment that doesn't fit how you want it.

I use a motorcycle leathers repair shop. Might be a better option that the drier? I'd wait for it to break in a bit though, then see if you still want it tailored.

msrtex

New in Town
Am I the only one who has a "Chuck Norris right after he got out of the Air Force" flashback from the first image?

Good looking jacket.

Damo

A-List Customer
@pawineeguy
Sounds like you really have to try several jackets to find which ones are meant for you. Must be a fun journey

@proteinnerd
You're right, I overlooked that option of having the waist taken in. Thanks! I also agree to break it in first and go from there

@msrtex
Chuck Norris! That's a new one for me, never heard that before. Thanks I guess…

Damo

A-List Customer
I see nothing wrong with the fit. It's excellent.

Thx Nick. Today I'm feeling like the jacket is too big and maybe I should have tried the 38 but oh well.I'll post some better pics in a few days

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The Nick. Today I'm feeling like the jacket is too big and maybe I should have tried the 38 but oh well.I'll post some better pics in a few days

It looks perfectly flush along your sides (when zipped up). I wouldn't want mine any slimmer. But yes, post some more pics up. I think you have a winner even if you feel it's a bit big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou