Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 602 Police Jacket

My opinion is that the fit is ok. I'm not a fan of this jacket style. To me it looks like the mix of a couple jacket styles that do not really go together in my eyes. i.e. a collared Vanson B, some police moto jacket touches, and car coat type fit

It's a police jacket style that has been around for the better part of the last century in pretty much the same form. I'm not sure where it originated but I see a lot of these with NYPD patches. Though NYPD had another very distinct style as well.

Taylor's still making it and here's an older one by Skaggerac.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This one is a bit different but it's very similar and probably very old. Vanson did this exact style, too.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it is a strong statement because I strongly believe that I am right. I'm surprised that you of all the FL members would find someone standing by their own beliefs sad but of course, that's something you're entitled to.

But let's not turn this into a discussion - What I mean is, if, as some of the other guys have noted, this jacket doesn't fit Carlos well, then I simply don't see how else the manufacturer would have intended this particular style of a jacket to fit?
Because considering that every single part of this jacket fits just the way it's supposed to, that every seam sits at just the right place and just the right angle, not to mention that Carlos himself says that the jacket feels very comfortable... How else would you define a good fitting leather jacket?

I think you are right, it would fit perfectly if i was carrying a huge belt with a handgun, some mags, a pair of handcuffs and a bunch of crap around my waist, my fear was that the bottom would be too large without anything to fill it.
But, the more i wear it the less i care, it is super comfy, and as a couple people have said, it is so different from everything i already have that it is worth keeping.
It is staying in the herd for the moment, i might even see if i can get a fur collar made for it...

Thanks again for the opinions everyone.

Last edited:
I think you are right, it would fit perfectly if i was carrying a huge belt with a handgun, some mags, a pair of handcuffs and a bunch of crap around my waste

Well, what's stopping you? Would make a killer fashion statement. :D

But I wouldn't say the flare is so overly pronounced or at least I don't think it's that noticeable. Many longer jackets, especially older ones slightly flare toward the bottom hem. Often the case with 60's cafe racers. I don't think this one's all that different.

Fur collar would rock! Does it have snaps to accommodate one?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Well, what's stopping you? Would make a killer fashion statement. :D

But I wouldn't say the flare is so overly pronounced or at least I don't think it's that noticeable. Many longer jackets, especially older ones slightly flare toward the bottom hem. Often the case with 60's cafe racers. I don't think this one's all that different.

Fur collar would rock! Does it have snaps to accommodate one?

It does, two on the under side of the lapels and one in the back, you can actually see them in the lining picture.
And i have read a post on the Schott forum saying that Schott would still make a fur collar for it but they had to have the jacket in hand since the patterns had changed through the years.
I will send an email see how much they want, maybe ask Aero if they would do it.

This jacket with a fur collar would be the best winter coat!

It does, two on the under side of the collar and one in the back that you can see on the back shot.
And i have read a post on the Schott forum saying that Schott would still make a fur collar for it but they had to have the jacket in hand since the patterns had changed through the years.
I will send an email see how much they want, maybe ask Aero if they would do it.

Yeah, I think Aero would be a much better choice and I'm sure they'd do it. Knowing Schott, they'll quote you something ridiculous for it, probably $400 or so.

Argh, reading how much you like this one, it just hurts more and more knowing that I missed out on that Vanson cop jacket. One you were supposed to send me. Why didn't I just buy it, why!?

It does, two on the under side of the lapels and one in the back, you can actually see them in the lining picture.

One size up on a 618 collar should work. Order a 44' collar and it'll fit that 42" Ask Gail but I recall reading that when I was looking to order one for mine.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
One size up on a 618 collar should work. Order a 44' collar and it'll fit that 42" Ask Gail but I recall reading that when I was looking to order one for mine.

"Gail on 09/27/15 at 09:00 AM

Peter,

Please contact Jerri in customer service in having a collar made for your jacket. Our current collar that we offer will probably not fit as patterns have changed, especially on the older vintage jackets. Jerri handles all repairs and special collar orders, her email is: jerri@schottnyc.com

Gail"

I sent Jerri an email, will see what she says and update.
Also i think the regular collar only exists in faux fur, i would rather have a real one.

Last edited:

ksozay

One Too Many
Yeah, it is a strong statement because I strongly believe that I am right. I'm surprised that you of all the FL members would find someone standing by their own beliefs sad but of course, that's something you're entitled to.

But let's not turn this into a discussion - What I mean is, if, as some of the other guys have noted, this jacket doesn't fit Carlos well, then I simply don't see how else the manufacturer would have intended this particular style of a jacket to fit?
Because considering that every single part of this jacket fits just the way it's supposed to, that every seam sits at just the right place and just the right angle, not to mention that Carlos himself says that the jacket feels very comfortable... How else would you define a good fitting leather jacket?

I took your statement to mean - this is how a jacket in this style should fit. If someone disagrees, it's likely they don't understand the purpose of the design. Of course, it can be easy to miss the intended tone when reading a message, as opposed to hearing it in normal conversation. I give you the benefit of the doubt, Monitor, nothing in your contribution to the forum strikes me as being mean spirited. Passionate yes. Mean spirited, no. Fixated on trucker jackets.... without question. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR