Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 618 fit check

Wolfeimmer

New in Town
Hi guys, this is my first time posting; I've been interested in leather jackets for a while now, but this recent months I kind wanted to gear up and buy a good tier jacket which I didn't previously own (only mid-tier staff like European Schotts, Tigha, etc.). So, not wanted to invest that much, and inspired partly by this forum I saved and went for a good condition second hand schott, I thought about getting a 618, being the quintessential jacket and whatnot. I got lucky and got a good deal for a never used Schott 618 from 1996, the condition is top notch, not broken in, no creases, no marks, no strange odors (I would say it even smells a bit like new leather), the only problem is that i don't know how I feel about the fit, I think it is a little big in the shoulder area, but feels quite snug all around, especially on the back just bellow the armpits, also the sleeves are on the verge of what I consider ok. Summering up, I don't know if a size down would benefit me or if the fit is overall ok. It's a size 42 but the way.

PS. Sorry for the mirror

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 393
  • IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 355

jeo

One Too Many
Fit is pretty good, but there's clearly a lot of room at the waist. Don't think it's too big in the shoulders.

You can't go by size alone. The cuts back in the 90's were bulkier. If you buy a 42 today it will fit smaller than this 42.

Wolfeimmer

New in Town
Fit is pretty good, but there's clearly a lot of room at the waist. Don't think it's too big in the shoulders.

You can't go by size alone. The cuts back in the 90's were bulkier. If you buy a 42 today it will fit smaller than this 42.
Thanks for your insight! So... no bueno? would you let it go and try to get a newer model? it's quite difficult here in Europe in the price range that I got this one.

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Just judging from these pics you posted I would keep it, wear it and enjoy it.

Down the line if it's not quite working for you, I'm sure you'll be able to sell and recover most of your money.

Can you post fit pics of the back?

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Two things you’ll find here:

1) Fit is very subjective.
2) Your own opinion will change over time.

If you like it, wear it and enjoy it! My own experience has been, however, that if I don’t love it immediately, I’ll never pull it out of the closet. So if you have any hesitations, I’d say sell and move on.

As far as my own two cents: It looks wide in the shoulders and waist. The arms look perfect!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At the waist, this jacket would be too wide for me. I could certainly live with the rest. If it is broken in, it will be even better at the shoulders.
My recommendation is: wear and meanwhile look for something else. When it is broken in and you still have nothing else and have befriended with the jacket, to the leather cutter and make it tighter at the waist.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Always include back pictures when asking for fit advice.
My opinion:
- Too wide at the waist and especially the bottom hem.
- Body a bit too short.
- Sleeves too short for my personal taste.
I would not keep it.

Last edited:

barnabus

One Too Many
For me personally it would be too wide. It's too boxy, wide all the way down. Shoulders, torso, waist - too much room.

It will settle more and drape and conform as it breaks in, of course. But I would be unhappy with that fit so wouldn't be wearing it enough to ever break it in.

All my personal opinion, obv.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
IMO it's all wrong...
I would not wear a jacket with that much overhang as i think it looks bad.
It's nothing to do with sizing, it's just the shape of that jacket that is wrong on you.
IMO there is nothing you can do to fix it and no amount of break in will make it fit better.
I would sell it on and move on.

szPu7sV.jpg

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I like it. You can manipulate the front panels by manually folding, sitting on it etc. Once broken in, it will drape better, and the overhang at the hip will be less apparent.

Shoulders, lenghts etc. all ok, as long as you like it.

I say, what I always say: nobody in real life will have any second thoughts on how this looks at you (other than maybe thinking, "I´d better not mess with this badass-y dude...").
That said, ask for advice, be prepared to get it. This is a tough crwod when it comes to details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ