Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 618hh. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
The hide isnt the only consideration in a riding jacket. How its put together is huge. Even the thread matters. Im not really trying to compare hd jackets to anything really, but, i was in the moco dealer last night for a minute to see what was available as far as a replacement bike. Decided to throw on one of their cafe style jackets simply to see if i liked the style (the whole straight zip, no collar thing). Tthat jacket was a huge pile of crap as a motorcycle jacket akd it was made to be worn on their bikes. It had about 100 panels, the sleeves were loose and short, the zipper im pretty sure was plastic, the leather was paper thin, and it did not move well. Saying aero isnt a real mc jacket isnt a dig at aero, its just what it is. Hd doesnt even sell a real mc jacket. A real mc jacket is not going to be comfortable off the bike. It just cant work. Standing in my ll, its short, the sleeves are really long, its stiff. Get on a bike and its a different story. You dont even feel it except for the collar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
I don't know about Cal, but Langlitz do not do armor (they opt for the quilted padding instead, which I don't know how well it compares to modern armor, but I suspect modern armor is better.)

As with anything, it all depends on the circumstances. Quitling and padding were the maingame in town beyond basic leather when it came to bike jackets even twenty years ago. The real breakthrough imo has been the relatively recent development of D30 armour - thin and light, so it can be slipped into pockets on a jacket and makes very little obvious 'bulge' in it. (Molty only really even noticeable on the back). The D30 armour will be superior in terms of impact - fall off and hit the ground hard, and it might save you a broken elbow, popped shoulder or badly bruised back. In terms of a slide, though, it's really all about the quality of the leather. (Which is why, prior to modern innovations in kevlar-lined and infused denim, the lower half was all about leather trousers in bike wear).

The one lapel snap got pretty boogered up during the slide. I can barely get the snap buttoned. I think over the winter im going to send it in and see if they can fix the shoulder padding where the stitching got ripped out.

You might feel different if you want other work done anyhow, but I'd be tempted either to leave it as is, or at least havethe repair done with adifferent coloured thread or something. It has a cool look; I like the idea that the jacket has that 'story' in it now - it did its job, clearly, and protected you. Kinda cool if the look reflects that somehow. YMMV, of course.

I cant express how glad i am i wear a full face helmet.

Doubtless. Pal of my dad's is a chaplain that works with a lot of motorcycle guys (including MCs, such as they exist in that part of the world) - had to do a funeralonced for a young lady who had been in an accident while wearing an open face lid and her jacket wide open. Slid on her front, ground to nothing. They had to just screw down the lid as the undertakers could do nothing.

Are lost worlds jackets even motorcycle jackets? I know for certain aeros are not. I know lw looks the part as does aero. Vanson knows a thing or 3 about moto gear, id feel very safe in something of theirs if you fit something they have in stock or if you can find your size on the bay. Give bates a call and see what they have to say. Theyve told me repeatedly that they can do anything i want. Johnsons comes up alot here, id give them a call too.

I've owned Schott, Johnson, Aero, LW and handled most all of the big motorcycle jacket brands over the years- except Langlitz, funnily enough. All depends what you mean by a "real" mc jacket. Back in the 50s and sixties, kids in the UK rode in sheepskin Lewises that would be sneered at as "fashion jackets" by today's standards; many on the Rocker scene still do, of course. That said, Lewis now have tow models out with Urban Rider that are madefrom a much heavier hide and carry armour pockets, and those are as much a 'real' jacket as any alternative. Aero and LW make historically accurate patternsof early bike jackets. In the right leather, like for like, just as much a 'real' mc jacket as any Vanson. The chief difference is that they are older patterns and so not designed around allsorts of modern ideas for better fit and such. An Aero MC will probably be much more comfortable on a bike from the era and place in which they were designed - i.e. that American, upright-riding position. C/f the way so many British jackets like Lewis, Mascot, Goldtop and many others had side buckles instead of a centre-fasting front belt, because riders of many British bikes preferred a more crouched-over style, and didn't want a buckle scrathing the paintwork. A modern jsacket not aping vintage style like a langlitz or some of the more contemporary Vanson jackets will probably feel better on a Japanese racing bike. Some folks want the smaller, faster, much more efficient Japanese racing bikes, others just want a Harley. Personal preference aside, an Aero in a heavier hide will do just as well in a slide. What they lack as standard is, of course, armour for impact, but not all modern mc jackets have that either. Thicker leather will, as a rule, last longer depending how far you slide, though goat and roo are both hides known for abrasion resistence and both light. Armour matters more for initial impact if you fall off hard.

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
None of this should be taken seriously anymore.

My Schott cafe racer is heavier than the last two Vanson jackets I have had, Model E and A, all of which were noticeably lighter than the last Aero in CXL FQHH I got. Ton312's Aero J106 is like 5 oz. Natal (or Walter Dyer) leather jackets that I have had were all over 7 oz. Go figure.
What I'm trying to say though is that none of those jackets are lightweight and 0.5 oz just won't make much of a difference in a crash.

Vanson makes a perfect motorcycle jacket. I love Langlitz and I love Aero but for a trip around the world on a bike, I would take a Vanson jacket, any Vanson jacket, without even considering the alternative.

@dogsbollocks - you're comparing a professional motorcycle racing apparel company that's been at it since the 70's, with a vintage reproduction clothes company. Aero makes a beautiful jacket, there's no debate there, a jacket that's definitely made with a better looking hide and a jacket that will even occasionally even out-weighs Vanson, but let's be realistic here.

Respectively your wrong! Completely wrong.
Aero go to extraordinary lengths to ensure the CMT ( cut make and trim) are as authentic as could possibly be. I’m not arguing for the sake of it just correcting the totally misleading statement that some are making. ‘That is Vanson is a ‘real’ biker jacket’ and Aero is a pretender or a toy.
I am clarifying that is completely wrong. Langlitz is infinitely superior to Vanson. I have 4 Vansons jackets and two Langlitz. Langlitz leather is just better. It ages beautifully whereas the Vanson with age just doesn’t do this...it just stays...well bland.

The two Langlitz are HH. The Vansons are completion weight.

I have the traditional style Steerhide Aero. The Aero just is so superior to both its not close. I would have no hesitation that for my around the world trip AND my protection I would reach for the Aero every time.
So, like you I presume I have worn and still own them alll...Aero is in a class of its own , even ahead of Langlitz. Vanson for me is a very good Jacket. Vanson is not however of the quality of Langlitz or Aero. It simply is not.
You say reproduction...what on earth do you think the Vanson Chopper is or the America or the CHP or the Hardcore is etc. THEY ARE ALL REPRODUCTIONS OR AS IS SUGGESTED HERE COPIES OF TRADITIONAL STYLES. You do know that the original Perfecto was not made by Schott do you? This reproduction point is a mute one. These are ALL styled traditionally , that’s it.

Go touch , feel , wear them all....you then tell me what you would want to be wearing if you ever needed protection or a REAL bikers jacket. I’m fortunate enough to currently own several of each of these brands jackets so can compare and contrast them all. I also have no allegiance to any brand. I’ve just attempted to graduate to the very best over the years. So , I’ll have an Aero please.

I ride hard and often on a Triumph Rocket here in the States. I would not buy a fashion biker jacket. I need it tough , functional , comfortable and fit for purpose. All the above fit that bill. However some are higher quality than others.

Look , this forum of course is about opinion and differing tastes and that’s perfect. It’s also about education and knowledge.
It is not however about being mis leading without correction. So I am merely putting the notion straight that somehow Aero is a pretend or toy Bikers jacket and the Vanson is ‘a proper biker jacket...’ This is factually wrong. You may prefer one to the other for sure. But owning 2 custom Langlitz , 4 Vansons and the Aero , the Aero is in a different class...go see!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
All you have talked about so far is looks of leather and weight. Weight doesn't matter here, all these makers offer sufficient protection. Looks I agree, Aeros leather is the most beautiul and I'd always pick an Aero for a casual jacket, as the HWM I Am wearing as I am writing this.

However Aero from my experience cannot compete with the others design-wise as a purpose biker jacket. I have owned 4 Aeros, three Vansons, one Langlitz and the Langlitz offers the greatest range of motion, I can lift my arms in it without the jacket moving up one bit. Vanson comes close, but their armholes are cut a bit wider and differently which results in excess material above the shoulder when lifting the arms. Looks a bit odd, not much difference in actual range of motion though, their action backs work well, however no underarm gussets like the Langlitz.

The Aeros are inferior in all these regards. The jackets rise up to your navel if you lift your arms, up your arms when reaching out and restricting in the back regardless of the shoulder gussets which do very little. So I'll have to agree with Monitor.

Dude, nobody said Aero is a pretend. Aero does their thing like no other but Aero's thing, plain and simple is NOT motorcycle apparel. Which is why you simply cannot claim they make a better riding jacket than Vanson. And I am absolutely sure that's not even they would claim. Aero makes the best and toughest (and prettiest) reproductions of the styles from the bygone era and if I was after a Half-belt, an Indian Ranger or a Levi's Type-3 repro, I'd go to Aero any day and twice on Sunday. But if I wanted a motorcycle jacket, Vanson is where I would take my business to. Or Dainese. Same difference. Because Dainese makes motorcycle apparel and their jackets are professional motorcycle equipment that I know I can count on on a bike.

Saying that you'd rather go to Aero than Dainese for a motorcycle jacket is literally exactly the same as saying that for a 40's car coat or a B-3, you'd go to Dainese rather than Aero.

But yeah, not even Langlitz makes proper riding gear anymore, for that matter. Langlitz used to be top of the crop but by today's motorcycle safety standards - which Vanson constantly adapts to - it is perfectly safe to say they're primarily looks - or fashion, if you will - focused on their traditional styles that made them what they are, just like Lewis Leathers. And again, that's not a bad thing at all! I want Langlitz on the market for what they offer, same as I want Dainese for what they do!

I don't even understand what jackets are you comparing here. Are we talking about a specific jacket? Or are you honestly gonna claim that Aero makes a better motorcycle jacket in general than Vanson with their, I dunno, armored Mark 2 Pro-Perf? There, two things in one jacket that Aero doesn't do - armor and perforated leather.

So how does Aero makes a better motorcycle jacket? Emphasis on a motorcycle.

Again, this isn't a dig at Aero which is a company that I love and it doesn't mean Aero makes a jacket that's in any way, shape or form inferior to anything from Vanson's civilian line. Hell, this could be about RMC, Himel or Goodwear just as much as it is about Aero. It just means that Aero does not make motorcycle apparel nor will you ever see an Aero MC jacket on a racing track. You will, however, see a Vanson leather jacket or a Vanson racing suit (another thing that Aero doesn't do) on a race track.

Also, this being a fact, do you honestly believe they do not translate some of these features from their pro-racing gear into even the most civilian of their civilian jackets?

So yeah, you're right about Aero being in a class of its own - they are a whole different class; class that is not a professional motorcycle apparel. That's not an opinion, that's a fact and claiming otherwise is actually misleading and possibly harmful, which is something even Aero, if asked, will agree on, simply on the account that this is something they neither do or pursue. They could! But they, as of yet, just don't.

What's your definition of a better motorcycle jacket? So far you haven't stated a single example of Vanson's inferiority other than the aging of the leather which, in motorcycle apparel terms is completely irrelevant.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Guppy, I would have to say a "power ranger" suit with full modern armor would probably be the safest. But , I don't think Marlon would've looked as cool. But then again, he was such a cool cat; if he would have worn one, we would probably call it a Brando suit.

01flhr, glad you were ok and thanks for the pics. The jacket really doesn't look that bad. I would maybe fix the snap and leave the rest as "earned" patina.

Ton, thanks for the weight comparison. I am really starting to second guess Schott. Especially if their product is not as advertised.
Yes, I was talking in terms of classic styled leather cross zip jackets without armor. Of course a full racing suit with armor is the best way to go if you are going to have a spill.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I just got off the phone with cal and im waiting on a return call next week to find out their leather weight. The poor girl was only able to tell me between 3-5oz. Theyre a double rider but not perfecto style really but theyre saying they can do whatever i want as far as pockets. I had to ask if theyre motorcycle or motorcycle style. The response i got was that they are the original, everyone else copied them. I guess from this point with the great double riders available on the market how close do you want to be schott perfecto?

Cal Leather makes jackets for police forces. They are real as real gets. They are very heavy. 5oz would not surprise me with some of the ones I've handled personally. But it does vary. They are not a Perfecto clone. Their cross zip is a style used by California Highway Patrol, very similar to other makers' CHP jackets. Langlitz calls theirs the Columbia. Vanson have their California Highway Patrol, and I'm sure there are others making them too. All mentioned are top notch and range from pricey to very pricey. Still cheaper than skin grafts though!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Respectfully, broad proclamations that XXX jackets are objectively or indisputably better than YYY jackets are generally inaccurate, ineffective and counter-productive for several reasons. Most importantly, people seek and emphasize vastly different characteristics in a jacket, including riding jackets. There is no universally accepted definition of the ultimate riding jacket -- what is ideal to one person is not ideal to another, and vice versa. Jacket comparisons are profoundly subjective. Aero, Vanson, Schott and Langlitz -- not to mention the many other competing manufacturers -- make outstanding riding jackets. All of these companies produce jackets that last for decades, endure accidents and successfully protect riders during accidents. Each company applies a different approach to their jacket manufacturing -- different patterns, leathers, production methods, hardware, etc. The key is to find the right combination that fits you best and works best for you, on your bike. That combination will be different for everyone. Proclaiming one jacket indisputably better than others serves little purpose.

roadking04

Practically Family
Lots of great points guys! I think we can all agree a fully armored racing suit, with the armored gloves and boots and a full face helmet offer the best protection hands down. But not very practical for grabbing a few brews with the guys. I've been riding for a very long time (more than 20 years) and I am still looking for a perfect riding jacket.

I know Vanson gets well deserved praise for their jackets. I have had a custom hardcore highwayman for about 10 years. It was a custom measured one, but the overall pattern was the same. I only changed the chrome hardware for the shiny brass. It never really fit me well on the bike, but I might have mismeasured or messed something up. I always had a cold wind down the front and if I rode without my windshield, The jacket acted as a sail. It did always look a little odd in the shoulder area also when on the bike. I just looked and it does not have the underarm footballs. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I wore my Vanson a ton and through many down pores. The leather itself just doesn't gain any patina. All the brass now looks antique, but the leather looks new, but without the shine.

My Action back is also a little funky. It is always in the "out" position. Not really a big deal, just might look a little weird.

Its not really fair for me to comment on Vanson because I went with a custom fit that never really worked from the getgo. I was also not impressed with their customer service, which has nothing to do with their product, but still worth mentioning. They got my money, I got excuses.

Respectfully, broad proclamations that XXX jackets are objectively or indisputably better than YYY jackets are generally inaccurate, ineffective and counter-productive for several reasons. Most importantly, people seek and emphasize vastly different characteristics in a jacket, including riding jackets. There is no universally accepted definition of the ultimate riding jacket -- what is ideal to one person is not ideal to another, and vice versa. Jacket comparisons are profoundly subjective. Aero, Vanson, Schott and Langlitz -- not to mention the many other competing manufacturers -- make outstanding riding jackets. All of these companies produce jackets that last for decades, endure accidents and successfully protect riders during accidents. Each company applies a different approach to their jacket manufacturing -- different patterns, leathers, production methods, hardware, etc. The key is to find the right combination that fits you best and works best for you, on your bike. That combination will be different for everyone. Proclaiming one jacket indisputably better than others serves little purpose.

Well... Yes and no and mostly no.

The thing is, there are specific safety standards that change each year as motorcycles become faster (and uglier), standards that Vanson, Dainese, Bates, Alpinestars, etc. have continuously been adapting, improving and innovating upon because it's what these companies elected to do. They indeed do have their jackets extensively tested both on the race track and in the wild.

Aero, RMC, Schott, Langlitz etc. do not. Not to such extent, at least. Because developing safer motorcycle apparel is not what they do. They could, easily and perhaps they would achieve even better results but simple enough, it's not what they do. Motorcyclists wear these jackets (I do and I used to spend half a day on a bike) and they're undoubtedly a much, much better protection over wearing a hoodie on a bike but while they may have been producing jackets for decades, how much of the recently developed motorcycle gear safety technology have Schott or Aero or RMC or Langlitz began integrating into their jackets?

None.

So, proclaiming that, for example, a Dainese jacket isn't an indisputably better motorcycle jacket than, for example, ELMC is not only unfair toward the company that invested infinitely more research, work and effort (and money) into developing and perfecting their product so that it would more efficiently save lives - which it does - but it is also dangerous to some extent, as it may indeed steer someone who has just sat on their first bike, toward the belief that the all of these makers make a product that's equal on every merit. And it's not. Seriously.

So I think saying that Vanson's recently developed V7 is a better motorcycle jacket serves some purpose.

Again, there's a reason why you won't see ELMC, Himel, Schott, Goodwear or RMC on a race track. You will however see Dainese and Alpinestars and Rev'it. And it's simple with bike jackets - if it's safer, it's better. Better in a way that you've less chance of getting killed on the road.

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
The hide isnt the only consideration in a riding jacket. How its put together is huge. Even the thread matters. Im not really trying to compare hd jackets to anything really, but, i was in the moco dealer last night for a minute to see what was available as far as a replacement bike. Decided to throw on one of their cafe style jackets simply to see if i liked the style (the whole straight zip, no collar thing). Tthat jacket was a huge pile of crap as a motorcycle jacket akd it was made to be worn on their bikes. It had about 100 panels, the sleeves were loose and short, the zipper im pretty sure was plastic, the leather was paper thin, and it did not move well. Saying aero isnt a real mc jacket isnt a dig at aero, its just what it is. Hd doesnt even sell a real mc jacket. A real mc jacket is not going to be comfortable off the bike. It just cant work. Standing in my ll, its short, the sleeves are really long, its stiff. Get on a bike and its a different story. You dont even feel it except for the collar.

You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried...whatever I’m done!

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
Well... Yes and no and mostly no.

The thing is, there are specific safety standards that change each year as motorcycles become faster (and uglier), standards that Vanson, Dainese, Bates, Alpinestars, etc. have continuously been adapting, improving and innovating upon because it's what these companies elected to do. They indeed do have their jackets extensively tested both on the race track and in the wild.

Aero, RMC, Schott, Langlitz etc. do not. Not to such extent, at least. Because developing safer motorcycle apparel is not what they do. They could, easily and perhaps they would achieve even better results but simple enough, it's not what they do. Motorcyclists wear these jackets (I do and I used to spend half a day on a bike) and they're undoubtedly a much, much better protection over wearing a hoodie on a bike but while they may have been producing jackets for decades, how much of the recently developed motorcycle gear safety technology have Schott or Aero or RMC or Langlitz began integrating into their jackets?

None.

So, proclaiming that, for example, a Dainese jacket isn't an indisputably better motorcycle jacket than, for example, ELMC is not only unfair toward the company that invested infinitely more research, work and effort (and money) into developing and perfecting their product so that it would more efficiently save lives - which it does - but it is also dangerous to some extent, as it may indeed steer someone who has just sat on their first bike, toward the belief that the all of these makers make a product that's equal on every merit. And it's not. Seriously.

So I think saying that Vanson's recently developed V7 is a better motorcycle jacket serves some purpose.

Again, there's a reason why you won't see ELMC, Himel, Schott, Goodwear or RMC on a race track. You will however see Dainese and Alpinestars and Rev'it. And it's simple with bike jackets - if it's safer, it's better. Better in a way that you've less chance of getting killed on the road.

Agree with you. I think you are right , there is the racing ‘crotch rocket’ gear that is specifically made as you rightly say embracing all the latest tech in the spirit of safety.
Then there is the cruiser crowd driving big 2.3 ltr lumps of iron around for hours on end. The Langlitz, Areo etc are catering to these boys and girls who just want the classic motorcycle jacket that has remained timeless. In the middle of these is the new Bobber revival who are injecting more ‘fashion ‘ into thier riding kit. It’s all horses for courses...good point Monitor , like trainers or wellies...

One need look no further than to whom the pros choose to protect their lives for the answer. People zooming around at nearly 200mph choose Vanson and other makers who are ignored on this forum (for the most part) to protect their lives.
Aero, Langlitz, Schott and LW, Himmel, RMC...these aren't what the pros choose. And nor should they be! Doesn't mean you can't get a high quality jacket that the average Joe 6 pack can feel safe riding in (you aren't cornering at 100plus mph!!) There isn't a jacket made that could offer me adequate protection at pro level riding b/c I'm not a pro. And I'll never ride like one. It wasn't long ago that I wouldn't even consider wearing a jacket when riding (unless it was cold).
Ivan is spot on. Some makers care ONLY about function, as do some riders. They know who they are and what they need ( and likely aren't posting here). Some guys want to ride to the bar at 30mph and don't need an armored 'roo race suit. Plenty of options for that guy that gradually make their way up the safety/form/function food chain.
I've always felt Vanson struck the best balance for me as a tool. Looks good on or off the bike/value/lack of fear if it gets damaged, etc.
I'll be ********** if I'm going to destroy my Aero M/C if I hit some gravel and dump in a parking lot!! Hell no. Just Hell no. For me:
Vanson is fatigues
Aero/Langlitz/RMC etc is dress blues

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've been watching this argument about who's a "real" motorcycle jacket maker and who's "best" today. There's a few good points being made by a few people.

So, first of all, let's separate a few categories.

There's all kinds of motorcycle gear. There's stuff for casual riders, stuff for pros. Stuff for cruiser riders, stuff for sportbike riders.

When you're talking about "better" or "worse", it's important to understand "with respect to what" and "compared to what". Mostly this is where the debate keeps breaking down.

There's materials, build quality, design, fit. These things can be broken down further, but you get the point. Fit is probably the most subjective, and you're all talking about a huge range of variables, from individual bodies, to riding style, to how well chosen the particular jacket was for the particular rider, and comparing off the rack sizing to custom, bespoke garments, sometimes which can still come out wrong.

Let's talk about Aero for a sec. Aero is mostly known for making reproduction old style jackets from eras pre '59. They make flight jackets, they make civilian jackets, and yes, they make motorcycle jackets. They're patterned from motorcycle jackets from the 1930s and 1950s, but just because it's 2017 doesn't mean that they're no longer motorcycle jackets. In a lot of cases, they're built with better materials and better crafted than the originals were.

Obviously, a 1950's Buco-inspired design isn't going to be the equal of a serious, modern jacket that has had the benefit of 60 years of R&D and testing.

Langlitz is very traditional, and has not opted to modernize its designs to include modern features like armor. They're doing great as a company, and they know what they're doing. Again, they're not going to perform the same in a crash as an armored racing suit designed in the last 10 years.

Vanson has a long, long pedigree of making leather motorcycle gear for professional racers, law enforcement, and civilians. They straddle the market, with one foot in modern racing gear, and one foot in the traditional "biker" market.

Cal Leather, likewise has a long history of producing leather jackets for motorcycle cops.

Schott, in my opinion, and it seems to be shared by most here, is largely a fashion brand these days. The leather isn't as thick as the serious makers of motorcycle gear. The designs haven't continued to evolve and improve with respect to the things that are important to performance of a motorcyle jacket. They have a long history as well, but have diversified to a wider variety of styles than any of the above makers. History is largely a posture, and image, for Schott. Schott's image is "cool", "classic", and "American". And out of all of the makers, I think Schott places more emphasis on their history than the others. This might be construed as not having as much to talk about their present. Marlon Brando wasn't a biker. He was an actor who played a biker. And Schott marketing always talks about Brando (even though the pedigree of his jacket is suspect) and the Ramones, and not... prominent, actual motorcycle riders. Their motorcycle jackets, at least the ones I've come across, and it's been more than a few, but not dozens, look great, but in all honesty I haven't been favorably impressed with their weight. I'd wear a good looking one, and I own several, and I like them, but probably would not opt to wear any of them on a bike. I'm sure there are counter-examples of Schott jackets that were made from heavier weight leather that may stand up to the needs of a practical riding jacket, and protect the rider's skin in a slide. But when it comes to leather, I always prefer heavier than what I've found in Schott's motorcycle-styled jackets.

But then, there's more to motorcycle gear than how it protects you in a crash. There's comfort, there's protection from the elements, there's practical features like pockets where you need them, there's visibility, there's venting and heat management, and so on.

There's also looks, but really, for a type of clothing that is called gear, looks are secondary to function. Looks are pretty subjective, and I love the way good, well-designed practical gear looks more than I like the way that was designed solely to look good without a thought given to function looks. And as I've said elsewhere, there's nothing that looks better than your intact skin.

And no jacket can protect you against every possible crash. Every ride is a roll of the dice, and you trust that your skills, your awareness, and your gear will preserve your life and keep you motoring through to the next ride, and the next one, and the next one. Leather, stitching, zippers, padding, and armor all have to do their part.

In short, everything is a complex set of compromises that hopefully strikes an optimal balance for the wearer, and for the wearer's purpose. There's no perfect jacket. For every rider. For every purpose. For every criteria I touched upon.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I still dont agree on aero being a motorcycle jacket. Look at the cuffs, the hem line, the cut, the zippers. Theyre not exact replicas either. Theyre really awesome looking jackets but theyre more form over function. Theyre beautiful jackets, i would be glad to own one but i wouldnt wear one on a bike.

I like Ton's analogy. Wearing Vanson on my bike makes me feel like a winged hussar, not some fobbit at the o-club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points