Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 689H Fit Check

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
It's the same pattern as the Vanson Enfield.
I have a version of the Vanson Oxford, which is similar! No wonder! Here I am in it.

Attachments

• Pockets.jpg
    Pockets.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 196
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Great jacket, I love mine. The fit is good IMO and will get better as the jacket ages. The break in on these is no joke and yours has plenty of more evolution to come.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
This. I think the fit LOOKS awesome, but as a fellow middle ager i just prefer a little extra room. Probably from wearing a preponderance of non leather jackets that have more give.
Exact same here. At 55 years of age, I’m done with breaking in clothes. I want them to feel comfortable out of the box, and I’m willing to sacrifice the fitted look lol.

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
Howdy folks,

I am new here and am looking for some advice on jacket fit.

I have had this Schott 689H for almost a year. I wore it a lot last winter and spring to break it in and it is starting to soften up nicely now and conform to me. My chest measures 39" and I have an athletic build. I ordered a size 38, ignoring the recommendation from Schott to size up and I go back and forth as to whether this fits me well. There is ample room in the torso and the arms with just a t-shirt but sometimes I think the shoulders feels tight. Also when I put my arms forward in riding position the back bunches up, not sure if this is normal or bad sizing?

I would appreciate all y'alls input.

View attachment 455779 View attachment 455780 View attachment 455781 View attachment 455782 View attachment 455783 View attachment 455784 View attachment 455785 View attachment 455786 View attachment 455787 View attachment 455788 .
Welcome to the forum from another newcomer.

I've been on this forum for a couple of weeks now. During that time I have looked at hundreds of cool pictures of guys wearing leather jackets. Call it an awareness that I've never had before for fit and appearance, but I'm thinking about things differently than in the past. Call it appreciation for things that I've never paid attention to.

Probably the single biggest realization is the difference between a riding jacket and a motorcycle jacket that just looks cool.

In a Schott jacket the difference for me is a little tag with an "L" on it. If I wear a "normal size" it fits me great. The body fits me much like your photos. The sleeves come down to my wrist bone. Now, that's also how most of the sharp jackets that I've been admiring here fit. It just looks good and right.

When I try to wear this type of fit on my motorcycle? No dice.
Cool breezes teach me the err of my ways. You can compensate for the shortness of the sleeves with gauntlet gloves but that back of the waist thing poses the biggest challenge. I use an old school leather kidney belt to both help with my tore up back....and to compensate for a too short jacket body.

I offer these suggestions as a possible work around for you. That's a beautiful jacket and you can make it work with a little help.

In my opinion and experience I do much better in a Schott LONG sizing. My sleeves fall almost to the first knuckle of my hand with the zippers open. The waist goes well below my jeans belt loops. This extra length is necessary when seated on the bike seat. I have to roll the front under to prevent bunching. The back bottom of the jacket provides coverage when worn in this configuration.

It took me a while to figure all of this out by trial and error. The beauty of it is that even my mistakes look good when worn off the bike.

I have three sons who all ride. Being more progressive, they are into textile motorcycle jackets. I've tried them on and they are as light as a feather, have built in armor, AND are waterproof. Try making an argument for choosing leather when you are wearing a state of the art textile motorcycle jacket that has been purpose built. I just mumbled something about "class" and changed the subject.

Pelo

New in Town
Howdy folks,

I am new here and am looking for some advice on jacket fit.

I have had this Schott 689H for almost a year. I wore it a lot last winter and spring to break it in and it is starting to soften up nicely now and conform to me. My chest measures 39" and I have an athletic build. I ordered a size 38, ignoring the recommendation from Schott to size up and I go back and forth as to whether this fits me well. There is ample room in the torso and the arms with just a t-shirt but sometimes I think the shoulders feels tight. Also when I put my arms forward in riding position the back bunches up, not sure if this is normal or bad sizing?

I would appreciate all y'alls input.

View attachment 455779 View attachment 455780 View attachment 455781 View attachment 455782 View attachment 455783 View attachment 455784 View attachment 455785 View attachment 455786 View attachment 455787 View attachment 455788 .
Looks great, im going to buy one and came across your post researching sizes. I have a few Schotts and it takes time to get the jacket to behave. I think your shoulder and fit concerns will resolve as mine did after time. I'd want mine to fit as yours does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk