Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott P213 Lambskin Perfecto Sizing and Fit

Which fits better?

• Small

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Medium

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • You are wasting your money, be patient and order custom

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Kevin O'Sullivan

Familiar Face
All,

Been lurking for some time here, and am incredibly impressed with the knowledge and friendly advice provided on the forum. Decided to spring for the Schott P213 in Mustang recently, started with a size Medium and then downsized to a Small thinking it would fix the shoulder bite issue. No dice. Is shoulder bite pretty common for anyone else when trying on leather? It is disheartening to think I won't be able to find a decent off the rack fit. Is custom fit aero/thedi my only option here with associated lead time? I like the sleeve and back length on the small, along with the chest fit. Specs below. The Medium fits better (less bite) but is boxy in the torso, zips up with absolutely zero effort through the stomach and chest.

What are the thoughts on fit? I have a relatively wide back and shorter torso so I figured it would be a pain to get a good fit, but didn't expect shoulder bite to be this bad.

5'9", 162lbs, true 33" waist. Typically wear 40 slim although it almost always pulls in the chest. This does have a biswing back (shoulders) so the shoulder to shoulder fit is a bit deceptive, it is not super restrictive.

Small measurements: 23.5" back, 17" shoulder, 20-20.5" pit to pit, 24" sleeve
Medium measurements: 25" back, 17.5" shoulder, 21-21.5" pit to pit. 25" sleeve

Any thoughts on a potential brand that might do the trick? Want something with a lighter weight leather like this jacket (2-3mm lambskin I believe), double rider preferable. Spring/summerish and early fall jacket, I have heavier boxier jackets for colder weather with heavy lining.

Thank you all and sorry for the wall of text!

IMG_20210422_172459~2.jpg
IMG_20210422_172512~2.jpg
IMG_20210422_172716~2.jpg
IMG_20210426_164328~2.jpg
IMG_20210426_164719~2.jpg
IMG_20210426_203213~2.jpg

Last edited:

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
ED7566C3-9501-427E-B49C-F8096818993B.jpeg
By “shoulder bite,” are you referring to this dimple at the top of the sleeve? It’s partly just due to arm position, and should go away when your arms are at your side. It may be reduced as the leather relaxes, but it’s quite common. There was a discussion about this a while back, and can be seen on the product images on the Field Leathers page.

Kevin O'Sullivan

Familiar Face
Yes Joe, that's exactly it. The dimple there, noticeably more pronounced on the Small size (and a rather perturbing ridge as well, I believe due to too small an armhole)

Comforting to know it's fairly common.

View attachment 331884 By “shoulder bite,” are you referring to this dimple at the top of the sleeve? It’s partly just due to arm position, and should go away when your arms are at your side. It may be reduced as the leather relaxes, but it’s quite common. There was a discussion about this a while back, and can be seen on the product images on the Field Leathers page.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Medium. Custom would be a waste of money in this case.

I voted medium, but the counter-argument (coming from someone who started looking at the P213 before going custom) is just go custom. The Schott is a nice jacket, but very expensive for OTR lamb skin. For the same price (JL) or about $350 more (FL), you get the exact fit you want with all the features you want and in the leather of your choice.

851DD777-ECDF-4D9F-97E3-536FD29DAD8F.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
All,

Been lurking for some time here, and am incredibly impressed with the knowledge and friendly advice provided on the forum. Decided to spring for the Schott P213 in Mustang recently, started with a size Medium and then downsized to a Small thinking it would fix the shoulder bite issue. No dice. Is shoulder bite pretty common for anyone else when trying on leather? It is disheartening to think I won't be able to find a decent off the rack fit. Is custom fit aero/thedi my only option here with associated lead time? I like the sleeve and back length on the small, along with the chest fit. Specs below. The Medium fits better (less bite) but is boxy in the torso, zips up with absolutely zero effort through the stomach and chest.

What are the thoughts on fit? I have a relatively wide back and shorter torso so I figured it would be a pain to get a good fit, but didn't expect shoulder bite to be this bad.

5'9", 162lbs, true 33" waist. Typically wear 40 slim although it almost always pulls in the chest. This does have a biswing back (shoulders) so the shoulder to shoulder fit is a bit deceptive, it is not super restrictive.

Small measurements: 23.5" back, 17" shoulder, 20-20.5" pit to pit, 24" sleeve
Medium measurements: 25" back, 17.5" shoulder, 21-21.5" pit to pit. 25" sleeve

Any thoughts on a potential brand that might do the trick? Want something with a lighter weight leather like this jacket (2-3mm lambskin I believe), double rider preferable. Spring/summerish and early fall jacket, I have heavier boxier jackets for colder weather with heavy lining.

Thank you all and sorry for the wall of text!

View attachment 331843 View attachment 331844 View attachment 331845 View attachment 331846 View attachment 331847 View attachment 331848
Medium looks great on you. That shoulder dimpling will go away with wear and when the leather molds to your form. The dimpling can also be caused by a badly shaped hanger so make sure to get a proper one that will support the shoulders so it doesn't deform your jacket.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Simple. You’re a tweener (the narrow space between two sizes). I am too. It’s a tough road. I think if you read here long enough you’ll learn custom is no guarantee. Between pattern choices and leathers and natural allowances for +- sizing in custom gear you may be no happier. Just look at all the great jackets in the classifieds for proof. Time spent on TFL may give you the impression that a “perfect fit” is very attainable. It may be possible but is quite rare. You’ll be much happier if your goal is a good fit. Regarding the two current images. If you’ll only wear a tshirt under the small might work but considering your geography (Alaska?) you’ll get much more chances to wear it if you go medium and fit a sweatshirt underneath. Btw it’s a really nice looking jacket.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Get detailed measurements from both the small and medium P2134 to figure out what you like. Take lots of fit pics of both before you return them.

Email Alan at Johnson Leather and tell him you want a jacket based on the P213 and then modify anything you want (I'd change the yoke and maybe add a half belt or side adjusters, brass chain pull zippers). Have a conversation with him about what sort of leather you have in mind and then he will send you a few dozen sample swatches.

Once you have finalized the design, the leather and lining of your choice, Damon will make you a cloth fit jacket and mail it to you to make sure the sizing is exactly what you want.

Long before it is getting back to jacket season this year, you will have the exact jacket you want that fits like a glove. Total cost the same as the P213 that doesn't quite fit right.

Pyritez

New in Town
That would depend entirely on if you're young & into wearing muscle shirts & impressing chicks (size 40)....or you're old & don't give a f*ck & want comfort. (size 44).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112