Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SCHOTT STEERHIDE CONDITIONER

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Lots of info on conditioners here if you do a search.

Main thing is to not use too much and generally I use it every 7-10 or so years for a good leather jacket like an Aero or Vanson. Maybe more after a soaking, but even then the waxes in most good leathers last for many years without need for a top up.

Pecards and Lexol are good. You can even use common Vaseline - as used by the jacket making guru John Chapman.

I stay away from natural products as my experience with Neatsfoot oil, for instance, is the seams can rot.

I have a 30 year-old hand made leather jacket that has never had a treatment. It's totally fine. It's good to keep leathers out of sun and out of humid conditions.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Hi
Thank You for Sharing Your Experience with Conditioners. I have Used Pecards Before. Like you Said Don’t use a lot.
I see SCHOTT Sells Otterwax Oil. Your Right Lexol is a Safe Conditioner like
BICKMORE 4, this is Good too. My Jacket is 6 Years Old. Lucky Never Got Wet.
Thank You
Pete

zebedee

One Too Many
Hi
Thank You for Sharing Your Experience with Conditioners. I have Used Pecards Before. Like you Said Don’t use a lot.
I see SCHOTT Sells Otterwax Oil. Your Right Lexol is a Safe Conditioner like
BICKMORE 4, this is Good too. My Jacket is 6 Years Old. Lucky Never Got Wet.
Thank You
Pete
Renapur is what I use, but really sparingly. There's some debate on whether it makes any real difference unless the leather is very dry.

Peacoat

Bartender

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
This is what I use in Australia. I ride Harleys and do occasionally get caught in rain !

I try not to but you know how that can go..Made in Australia. They also make quality boots and clothing.

I have used it on quite a few Schott jackets , ( I am a Schott fan) , including this early 90's steerhide collared café racer , a 441PP.

Schott 441PP Sorrento 1.jpg

RM Williams leather conditioner.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner