Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seal skin hats

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I'd love to see the look on PETA members everywhere if this were an ad from today.

From Hatter and Furrier, Sept.1885:

SealSkinHats.jpg

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
I'd love to see the look on PETA members everywhere if this were an ad from today.

What is it that would thrill you so? The revulsion of PETA members would turn you on perhaps? :kick:

I eat meat and wear leather and have fur felt hats. I do not enjoy the sight of others who may be horrified by something. I doubt that I would accept an expense paid trip to sightsee a slaughterhouse.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
What is it that would thrill you so? The revulsion of PETA members would turn you on perhaps?

We (and two other local businesses) have been targeted by PETA members in our local paper because we sell hats/jackets made from leather and fur so yes, I would be quite happy to see a little discomfort on their faces.

People can believe whatever they want but don't push it on me or try to do harm to my livelihood.

Cheers,

jbrown173

New in Town
I wouldn't presume to speak for Aaron, but it's possible to agree with PETA on any one particular issue while simultaneously thinking that as an organization they are often extremely over-the-top and quite silly. And they seem to enjoy making people squirm so the least we can do is return the favor. Nevertheless, put me down as anti-seal-hat.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Aaron and jbrown both make valid points.

Aaron Hats said:
We (and two other local businesses) have been targeted by PETA members in our local paper because we sell hats/jackets made from leather and fur so yes, I would be quite happy to see a little discomfort on their faces.

People can believe whatever they want but don't push it on me or try to do harm to my livelihood.

Cheers,

Given the facts presented, I now can better understand your feelings. If PETA has caused harm to you while you are engaged in lawful enterprise; that is just wrong of them. :drum:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for posting that, Aaron. Fascinating.
Love seeing that stuff.

And yeah, I had problems with PETA tactics
long before the FBI's recent investigations came
up with some disturbing information.

I'm glad they are usually too poorly informed
to know I am wearing a beaver or nutria or
rabbit pelt on my head.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
There are many groups that focus their interest on single issues. I have yet to find that I am sympathetic to ANY single-issue group.

But I would certainly enjoy tweaking those who become obnoxious to me!;)

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
I see no problem ...

... with the idea of a seal skin hat. What's special about seals, other than the fact that there aren't many of them? I have a beaver fur hat, and to the best of my knowledge the beavers aren't "fleeced" like sheep are. If there were more seals, I don't know what the issue would be.

Imagine the revulsion people would have had to the idea of eating buffalo meat or wearing a pair of boots made from buffalo (more properly bison) just a few years ago. Until recently, the American buffalo was considered endangered, and for good reason. Now, through the efforts of (primarily private, not government) conservationists, the buffalo is back in large enough numbers to serve a utilitarian purpose. I'm a big fan of the buffalo: It's good eatin', and a heckuva cool critter when alive.

The wholesale slaughter of seals (and of the bison, for that matter) SOLELY for their skins was a bad idea mankind had. But the bison came back -- and maybe the seals will, too. Even when they're back from the brink, though, PETA and their ilk will have a problem with killing them.

shamus

Suspended
Burma Shave said:
... with the idea of a seal skin hat. What's special about seals, other than the fact that there aren't many of them?

Just for your info... the problem many people have with seal fur is that it is not harvested from fully grown seals, but instead the young baby seal (Harp Seals) are harvested. A group of men go out on the ice where the mothers have had their pups and then the men club the pups on the head as to not hurt the fur which is white when young and changes color when the pups reach a certain age.

I believe it's the act of beating baby seals over the head till they die and skinning them is the problem some people have with seal fur.

And yes, I have been to a slaugter house. It's quite an eye-opener.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Shamus:

Thanks for the input. I knew they clubbed baby seals, but I still don't get the outrage. A baby seal is cuter than an adult, to be sure, but that doesn't make it more "valuable," except in the literal sense. I guess it's sheer emotion that makes killing baby animals more reprehensible. But I have to say, I sure like lamb better than mutton.

As for the method of killing, I can understand people's reactions to the idea of a club. But I don't think people's opinion would change any if the industry started putting a bullet in the brain pan, do you?

I, too, have been to slaughterhouses (working on stories for newspapers). It is a surreal experience, to be sure. There's a reason they don't allow photographs to be taken! And I don't eat veal -- not because of the way the animals are killed, but because of the way they're treated while they're alive.

shamus

Suspended
Burma Shave said:
Thanks for the input. I knew they clubbed baby seals, but I still don't get the outrage.

It's because the seal pup is less than 4 weeks old when they're killed with the clubs and with the snow, you really see the blood everywhere.

Burma Shave said:
But I have to say, I sure like lamb better than mutton..

Lamb meat is considered lamb upto one year old. ( I grew up on a sheep farm, Baby lambs are not eaten.)

Burma Shave said:
As for the method of killing, I can understand people's reactions to the idea of a club. But I don't think people's opinion would change any if the industry started putting a bullet in the brain pan, do you?.

No. It's the killing of a new born pup. Shooting it would put holes in the hides, making them less valuable.

Burma Shave said:
I, too, have been to slaughterhouses (working on stories for newspapers). It is a surreal experience, to be sure. There's a reason they don't allow photographs to be taken! And I don't eat veal -- not because of the way the animals are killed, but because of the way they're treated while they're alive.

as to veal, I don't eat it either for the same reason. And for those that don't know a Veal cafe is about 2-3 months old when it's slaugtered.

Aaron Hats said:

From Hatter and Furrier, Sept.1885:

SealSkinHats.jpg

Put me down for a few hats some gloves and the etc. :p
Seriously, PETA doing that to you is like the pot calling the kettle black. They are nothing but a group of hypocrits:
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
What more proof do you need? They are reprehensible.
article_petatrial1.jpg

article_petatrial2.jpg

Regards,

J

Yup, sign me up for some vintage seal skin hats, gloves &cetera. Something that died so many years ago deserves to be worn - not thrown on the trash-heap. Killed yeaterday? Afraid i'd be a bit too guilty about that one. Don't want too many souls on my conscience.

I'm a mutton man. makes the best curry, by far ...

bk

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
My two questions ...

As a wildlife biologist and hunter, I tend to get into this sort of discussion often. I like to ask two questions to set the stage: "Do you eat meat?" and "Do you wear leather?" If they don't, we have a real discussion. If they do, then we are just discussing about how far away from the killing we feel comfortable. I think it is more honest and respectful to make decisions like these after seeing how the sausage gets made.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
PETA OR WHAT EVER...I TAKE NO SIDE

Barry Goldwater, in his 1964 speech accepting the Republican Party's nomination to run for president, responded to repeated accusations of "extremism" as follows: "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!

How ever you take this quote...i think it is always a reminder of when

involved ...extremism may be in someones spectrum of action.

:cheers1:

jbrown173

New in Town
In my case I was a vegetarian for 20 years but had to start eating fish again due to a digestive disorder that altered my 'cost'/benefit analysis regarding the eating of fish. I also wore plastic shoes for about the same 20 years and all that moisture was uncomfortable and turned me into a Tinactin addict (I'm still battling to regain sovereignty over a couple of my toenails, not to get too graphic). So I recently caved there too and am now wearing leather shoes. As of last week I own a fur felt hat.

So what I'm trying to sort out these days is whether I'm in some kind of hedonistic free-fall or what. I would find it helpful to know how other people, such as hunter/wildlife biologists sort this stuff out. But I'm no longer on a moral high horse about this sort of issue (I must say that PETA's hypocritical behavior and outrageous methods contributed to my rethinking this stuff).

I have come to better understand the fact that animals (humans included) killing other animals is part of nature's design. But the fur felt hat is the first time I've justified the killing of an animal for a purpose that I really can't remotely claim is a necessity, since I could wear another type of hat without any deleterious effect to my health or wellbeing. Maybe I just need a good smack in the head (but wait 'til I take my fedora off, please).

Fedora

Vendor
But I would certainly enjoy tweaking those who become obnoxious to me!

:cheers1: Ah, and me as well!! What really gets my goat about these peter people is they seem to be incapable of understanding basic facts of existence. It is perfectly natural for a lion to eat your ignorant rump, if he is hungry, and if you present yourself to him. It is just an natural for me, to kill an animal for protein sources, or pay someone else to do it for me, if I am lazy, or squeamish about killing. I say, the best way to appreciate, and respect fur bearing animals, is to kill them, eat their meat, and make a fine hat from their fur. Why else are they here? If you have to kill, do it quick and as humanely as possible. There is a respect involved in doing it in this manner. You can throw all of the ideology at me that you want, but the facts of existence involve killing, and eating, and using the animal for other things. I think the peter movement was started by folks who survived the LSD trips of the 60's but exited the movement with a bit of brain damage. Unhealthy brains have a habit of creating ludicrous movements, flawed my illogical thinking, and the inability to actually see the world as it truly is. Trying to make these folks understand, is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It is a tremendous waste of time, and of course, it annoys the pig.:) Fedora

shamus

Suspended
GA Wildlifer said:
I like to ask two questions to set the stage: "Do you eat meat?" and "Do you wear leather?" If they don't, we have a real discussion. If they do, then we are just discussing about how far away from the killing we feel comfortable. I think it is more honest and respectful to make decisions like these after seeing how the sausage gets made.

First off this thread seems like it should be moved to the observation....

The orginal post was on a 100+ year old newspaper ad. It then moved to someone saying they didn't understand the big deal over killing seal pups.

Now it's "do you eat meat?" what's the big problem?

Well as a meat eater, but not in every meal and having grown up on a livestock farm, I know a few things about killing animals for food.

It's not as simple as "Do you eat meat? then no discussion. This thread was started as to seals and lead to harp seals and harp seal pups.

It's like saying, "Do you breathe air? Then don't complain about pollution!"

I wear vintage beaver fur hats, I wear leather. Now as to the hats, they're 50+ years old. As to the leather, it's horse. The entire animal is used. Meat, bones, guts, hooves.. Seal pups are skined and then the rest is left for the polar bears... of course they're being killed by pollution... ah the circle of life.

That is the issue some people have with modern seal. As to vintage, I'm with Kurtz, if it fits me I'm wearing it.

I don't belong to Peta nor do I know much about them. I'm just not into the crule treatment of animals. Some are, I'm not.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
You pose a knotty problem.

I took stands when I was younger,knowing with absolute certitude that I was on the side of the angels. Little by little, over time, the realization that some of my moral dilemmas had nothing to do with morality but were either matters of taste or were influenced by external pressures; including those angels. [angel]

Just like Dad in the story, one is amazed to see how much smarter one becomes with the passage of time.

NB:Jeremy>>> Luv the reference to Mr. Mackey in your sig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart