Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seam down the middle in the back - poll!

How do you feel about a seam down the middle in the back?

• Don't care either way

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Hate it - will not buy a jacket with it

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not crazy about it, but will buy a jacket with it if it has features I like

Votes: 39 54.9%

• Total voters

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I found that I will not buy a jacket if it has a seam straight down the middle in the back. I like one-piece backs the most, will accept sunburst or similar patterns, but somehow I associate a two-piece back with a straight seam down the middle with material savings (cheapness) and will just not buy it. Is it an extreme view? WDTLS (What Does The Lounge Say)? Vote in a poll!

Psant25

One Too Many
I have a love hate relationship with the vanson model B that has the center back seam. Bought and sold one prlly 4-5 times. Never cared for that center seam. It did fit really well and obviously wearing the jacket ya cant see it so I do not really know why it bothered me. The schott asset jacket has it and dont mind it too much on that one I think due to the lower back panel right under it

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/asset-cafe-racer.htm

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A lot of good makers have done this in their patterns - Vanson, Bates, Aero, Sears - and it has long been a look people here have identified as undesirable. I personally don't mind it on some jackets.

There are two types - there is the two piece back, with one long seam and no yoke (Vanson Model B). And there is the traditional three piece back - seam down the middle with a yoke (Aero veste Des Rallye). I've seen both of these on jackets since the 1930's. On larger jackets, like an Aero car coat, it is more understandable, on their board racer I am not keen on the look.

What I really don't like is a half-belt jacket, where the centrel panel has a seam down the middle.

Last edited:

jglf

A-List Customer
Don’t care for the look, but in the case of my Vanson Oxford, it really helps with the V-taper. I would rather have a well fitting jacket with the seam than the other way around.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Are we talking this? (a)
E3210990-FA8B-4FA2-B19E-4DC4A70B2B6B.jpeg

Or this (B)
BF149545-95B2-4A01-A098-C7C253DDDCC5.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Ok I think (a) looks absolutely terrible, but I really can't explain why. Maybe it's because I associate this type of back with those Japanese jackets which are really fitted and too long for their style, making them look like sausages.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Depends on the jacket. On some you sort of need a center seam there. A giant slab of plain leather doesn't always look right depending on what's going on elsewhere on the jacket. I personally don't like the look of a straight horizontal back yoke with no vertical center seem underneath it. The "T" look is preferable IMO

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I hope that I don’t look like a sausage. Lol

View attachment 266452
Lol no you don't. Nobody voted 'love it' so since you own one I guess you voted 'don't care either' way? :)

These are examples of jackets that look too long and too snug to me:
34F8DE19-4BD1-4AE9-B05A-1AFCAC1EE976.jpeg

34AE5262-F951-4B01-9C31-CA9C7FD39703.jpeg

Edit : goes without saying, the Caboose is an awesome jacket. I just don't like the proportions of this one.

Last edited:

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Ton, in your quiz you've possibly forgot to add the button/paragraph "It depends on the pattern".
So, for instance - never for CRs like J100 pattern, never for cross-zippers, A-2s and A-1s etc., but sometimes O'k for carcoats.
Though, am not a big fan of that middle seam feature. To my taste jackets like HBs usually look better when they have a middle pleat instead just a middle seam.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
to me if there is a reason I don't mind. I have it on my goat jacket because the goathide is narrow, also it has to taper and shape the back better not just there to join 2 panels flatly

saying that, I don't "love" it, I rather a 3 pieces back to shape it rather than 2 pieces with center seam
other than my goat jacket I don't have it on my other jackets made from cowhide

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails