Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seasons for your hats

tonyper

Familiar Face
Hi all, As you can see I am a newbie here. Love all the discussions. How many seasons do you guys wear Felt and Wool hats, Can you wear felt in summer? comfortably ? I want to get a few fedora's a porkpie, and a stingy, will I be able to wear these most of the year here in NJ?

Thanks Tony

duggap

Banned
As far as I know there are just the two seasons for hat wearing. In the summer you can wear you felt if you choose and it's comfortable, or like most of us, just get a straw panama and light weight felt for summer. I wear a Panama and I have a lightweight felt from Art Fawcett that I wear all summer.:)

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Personally I'll wear an unlined felt in spring or fall, lined in the winter, and straw in the summer. I'm old fashioned enough to believe one should not wear a straw hat or white suit after Labor Day in temperate climates. The tropics, of course, are a different deal.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
RockBottom said:
I'm old fashioned enough to believe one should not wear a straw hat or white suit after Labor Day in temperate climates. The tropics, of course, are a different deal.
Actually, I think tradition states that you start wearing your straws on May 15th (Straw Hat Day) and remove them on September 15th.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
KObalto said:
Actually, I think tradition states that you start wearing your straws on May 15th (Straw Hat Day) and remove it on September 15th.

Makes sense.

I see you're from Bawlamer. I just finished watching the first season of "The Wire" last night. Pretty depressing. I lived on North Charles Street while in grad school, so recognized a lot of the outdoor shots and allusions.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
RockBottom said:
Makes sense.

I see you're from Bawlamer. I just finished watching the first season of "The Wire" last night. Pretty depressing. I lived on North Charles Street while in grad school, so recognized a lot of the outdoor shots and allusions.
The Wire, depressing as it is, is an incredible show which gets better every season. I'm a lawyer who spends a lot of time in the courthouse where some of the show is taped.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
When wearing your felts, do you go with season or temp or what the heck?

Well, I am so anxious to start wearing my felt hat it is buggin me!!! Memphis has some hot weather into October. So when should I start feeling good about breaking out the felt fedora?

Also, I have seen some threads about lightweight felts. Is a Banjo Patterson going to be lightweight vs. my Stetson Saxon?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
kaosharper1 said:
I think its a combination of temp and humidity. High temps and low humidity makes it OK for me to wear felt. Is it light weight?

I have no idea if the Saxon is lightweight or not. One guy did a comparison of various Akburas and the BP was the lightest of the six he had if I recall correctly

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I would say that everybody is different in terms of what they can deal with. Sure, felt is worn in Australian outback and working in the desert. But it's a tool in those places on a level that the average wearer does not need.

Comfort should rule your decision. You're not doing yourself any favors if you get overheated wearing a felt hat. I wear what the weather dictates is the best choice.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I have a general rule of thumb you may find useful:

80 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is 80+ I wear straws and light caps exclusively. If it is under 80 I will wear whatever I fancy.

Works for me.

RBH

Bartender
I am only around 50 miles from you and just this summer have worn a few felts.
I usually wear straws and the serve me well.
I have my MooreLite from Buckaroo Hatters that stands the summer well.

hpim2979fr2.jpg

006wz0.jpg

And my recent Knox Vagabond. Very lite weight hats.

007clu.jpg

But you will find that some mornings a felts is fine while the afternoon lends itself to a nice straw.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:

Rusty, that MooreLite is fantastic! Looks great with the mid-ribbon.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I wear felts every day, all year around. I have probably only worn a straw hat twice this summer, though I have three of them. I just like the felts. Maybe I'm old school though, because I wear long-sleeved wool uniforms, tie, and a cover at work year around too and I'm an outside guy, not an office pogue.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
I think its a combination of temp and humidity. High temps and low humidity makes it OK for me to wear felt. Is it light weight?

I'll put in another nod to the humidity factor.

I tend to wear felt of there's going to be rain no matter the temperature. Rain usually means a cold front anyway.

I tend to watch the weather closely so that I know how to dress anyway so it fits right in with the hat factor. I don't want folks to think that my Mommy dresses me funny like Goose's Mommy lol.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I always seem to go by the temperature. I live in california and really break a sweat with any hat on my head, whenever. Lighter felts help a bit, yet they don't really change the fact that you are wearing fur on your head. I really need a Panama.

Justdog

Practically Family
Weather and felts

Guess I have a personal threshold that varies. Yard work I have worn felts in 30 C. Recently for this year I aquired a couple of Ecuadorian panamas. Last year I wore the felt more. The Panama are fantastic and great for hot weather. I make up for it on really hot days by wearing the felts inside;) I really should post the Ecuador hats as they are an unbelievable value for the dollar.
EcuadorianPanama2.jpg

EcuadorianPanama.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I'm a what the heck kinda guy:D ...Temps can be a reason for one hat over another...but with so much rain during the summer months, I'd hate to destroy my Panama. So generally...I wear a felt year round...if there is no rain in the forecast, then I'll sport the panama...[huh] :D

Justdog

Practically Family
Panama and Rain

Colby Jack said:
I'm a what the heck kinda guy:D ...Temps can be a reason for one hat over another...but with so much rain during the summer months, I'd hate to destroy my Panama. So generally...I wear a felt year round...if there is no rain in the forecast, then I'll sport the panama...[huh] :D

What happens to the Panama in the rain?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk