Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle Woolen Co. Heavy Horsehide Police jacket-Size 44/46

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Seattle Woolen Mills Horsehide Police jacket c.1950

History:

Seattle Woolen Mills Company began in the 1890s. A google search will find much interesting information on the Woolen history of Pacific Northwest. While it seems odd a Woolen Mill would produce leather jackets, I have seen other Woolen companies that produced leather outerwear. Seattle used labels that say manufactured and others say Styled by Seattle Woolen. The Sport Togs was a common phrase on their labels. They may well have made some in house and others contracted for. This jacket also has a Union made tag in the pocket.

While Seattle Woolen is not as well known as other labels their jackets are often found in the “leather jacket books”. I have three Seattle jackets in my personal collection. As I write this there are two very interesting Seattle jackets on yahoo Japan.

I have seen two other Seattle jackets like this one. One was wool lined without a label for sale in Japan. The second is owned by a member here.

DESCRIPTION:

This is the heaviest Vintage leather jacket I have owned. I call it the Lost World of Vintage jackets. It must be 4 ounce leather. It compares in weight to my LW Test, but much stiffer. It is all business and feels like a protective shell. I would think it would be somewhat intimidating to see an Officer in this jacket. It has a highwayman fit, straight down the sides, no taper, nothing fancy.

This jacket has been civilized; Badge holder removed, belt loops removed. I like the look of the jacket as it is.

The collar is huge and cool, with no chaffing/cracking/flaking.

Shoulders/upper arms are solid. No chaffing/cracking/flaking

Both cuffs need some work, may be able to glue. Pictured

Label is attached and needs a few stitches. Some tearing in lining at the collar, minimal. The lining is original and very workman like. Two pockets, zippered pocket works fine.

Both pocket zippers work and both pocket bags are intact. One pocket zipper is a V Talon manufactured and used during the war. I assume this got pulled out the parts bin.

The main zipper is a paperclip Talon which I am not familiar with. I believe it is 1950s military style. Several zipper teeth are missing at pin end on the male side.

SUMMARY:

Buy, add to your collection and make a quest of repairing the zipper.

PRICE: $375 shipped in COUNUS.

Pictures and measurements:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WqdKjhtTeXJucxn8A

DSC00811.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

DSC05890.jpg
DSC05891.jpg
DSC05893.jpg
DSC05894.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here is a video with another heavy police jacket I'm keeping in the collection. I need to fix it and loose some weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran