Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking Advice for a Custom Jacket

Thalasophile

New in Town
Hello to anyone who has taken intrest!

I'm having my first Custom Motorcycle Jacket made by Bill Kelso and I want to make sure I get the right fit. As with most off the rack jackets I own when my arms are outstretched the sleeves tend to ride up my forearm about 2" to 3" as well as tighten up around my Biceps making for a very uncomfortable and unsightly fit, which is odd considering that my sleeves fit perfectly right to the wrist as long as my arms are down at my sides. So what adjustments should I focus on when directing the craftsman as to my required measurements?

For reference purposes:
Shoulders measure 21"
Arm Length is 25"
Chest circumference is 44"

I usually wear an XL/48R however I prefer a more fitted appearance for motorcycle jackets so BK has advised a size 46R. I'd appreciate the input of anyone with experience in these matters.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
Ask about armhole height. OTR jackets are made with low armholes for day to day comfort and not function when riding. They also produce the dreaded batwing effect of lifting the body up when raising the arms and, depending on sleeve diameter, the pulling effect you me mentioned. Higher armholes allow the sleeve to stay very close to the arm when raising or stretching your arms out but can also be a bit restrictive in daily wear. Especially if you need to layer.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello to anyone who has taken intrest!

I'm having my first Custom Motorcycle Jacket made by Bill Kelso and I want to make sure I get the right fit. As with most off the rack jackets I own when my arms are outstretched the sleeves tend to ride up my forearm about 2" to 3" as well as tighten up around my Biceps making for a very uncomfortable and unsightly fit, which is odd considering that my sleeves fit perfectly right to the wrist as long as my arms are down at my sides. So what adjustments should I focus on when directing the craftsman as to my required measurements?

For reference purposes:
Shoulders measure 21"
Arm Length is 25"
Chest circumference is 44"

I usually wear an XL/48R however I prefer a more fitted appearance for motorcycle jackets so BK has advised a size 46R. I'd appreciate the input of anyone with experience in these matters.

Personally I wouldn’t consider the leathers offered by BK, which are very high quality, to be suitable for motorcycle usage. They’re designed to look vintage more than anything.

You would be far better served by getting a Vanson or Schott which are designed and cut to specifically address the problem you’re talking about. (And, in my view, they often end up looking more authentic to vintage than the fast fading stuff.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner