Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selentino Questions

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one Selentino hat; a grey homburg that I purchased from TheMensHats.com. I quite like it and it seems to be a very nice hat. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the hat bodies are from Tonak and they do not seem to get a good report here. Since my homburg is not an everyday hat and sees only occasional dress use (5-6 times a year), I cannot report on any problems regarding wear or durability; I do know that it looks very formal and is in the classic style. It seems very well-made and the felt, though stiff like a homburg is, feels very nice. Several others here have had experience with fedoras from Selentino and may be of a better use to you; this is just my thoughts.

MattJH

One Too Many
They're made in Argentina. The "lines" of their fedoras aren't exactly quite right to my eye, but their homburgs are very nice. They offer rabbit, beaver, and nutria felts.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Selentino

I have a Selentino fedora. The felt is thick but soft and seems to be pretty hearty. It's well made and all fur felt. My only dislike is that it's crown is rather short and tapered, and just doesn't seem to look right now that I have a high, straight crown in my Campdraft.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up a Selentino in Philly. I've noticed they are hard to find on line, but I'm pleased enough to consider a second at some point.

The tag did say it was from Tonak, and I don't know how the felt will handle the elements. But as a simple dress hat it does the job, but has certain "relaxed" look to it that avoids shouting "Dress Hat" on sight. Not an easy accomplishment for a black fur felt. Yes, black.

So far, it has drawn compliments every time I wear it. Not a single comment about being a Rabbi or whatever. Basically, it is what it is, much like a modern Stetson. It has it's place.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
I'm looking at one as an everyday hat, although I try to rotate so that one hat isn't taking all the wear and tear. I'm picking up some concerns about durability here, which concerns me. I guess if the price is right . . . [huh]

I've done some online research, but in what price range were the Selentino's that you guys bought?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Mine was in the $100 range, and the quality meets or slightly exceeds that tag from what I can tell. I wouldn't wear it in a rain storm, personally. But that's mostly because I don't trust factory dye on dark hats. That's applies to pretty much all brands, in my book.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
You know, I was poking around today, again, and I see that there are several different price brackets for Selentinos. It looks like I've got a bottom-rung hat. If that's anything to go by, the pricier examples should be more impressive. I hope.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Selentino Hat Quality - Any Good

I recently picked up a fur felt Selentino fedora called the Sterling. Does anyone know about the quality level of this brand? It seems pretty nice.

Also picked up the Selentino 'King' model, which has a heavier felt. It, too, seems to be very nice.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have a Selentino Spruce, which is the same felt as the Sterling. I have never chanced it in rain or the like, but based on my rathet large collection of hats, and the relative qualities that have passed through my hands...

The Spruce and Sterling are unremarkable in quality. Not to say they are "poor" but there are better hats out there, even among the current production models. I would consider them dress hats, and avoid putting them through much abuse, particularly rain, if you want them to last.

But, keep in mind that I have not put mine to a serious test. And I have no idea about the King. I think that is supposed to be a higher felt quality. The Spruce and Sterling seem to be their low-end line.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
My First hat was a Selentino (hence the name). I wore them for many years until I could step up. I think the brand is made by Tonak. I've worn them in all kinds of weather and they have done well. I've heard that they can bleed some if worn in the rain too much but none of mine did.They are nice looking hats but Not-Bogart13 is right, nothing special and I feel a bit overpriced these days for what they are. I still have a Galaxy that looks pretty good.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I just bought a Sterling last Friday from Henry the Hatter in Detroit. The only reason I bought it, I was looking for a white fedora to wear occasionally. Since it won't get much wear,, I did not want to spend a fortune. $99 plus tax. I own 3 Stetsons,(one vintage open road) and 3 Biltmores (one a Rosealinni) and the felt on this hat appears to be as soft as any I own. It is not felted as fine as my other hats, but it is not bad. Time will tell.

75726-m-0.jpg

75727-m-0.jpg

Last edited:
I plan to visit TONAK in the beginning of April. I would think they could still produce very fine felt based on their history (they were Johann Hückel´s Söhne up to the end of WWII)and felt production facility although I am sure the communist years took a major toll. I think they are pretty much in survial mode now (labor costs are too high in the Czech Republic) and need to meet a specific price point. By felted fine what do you mean? Do you mean the finish?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a very nice grey Selentino homburg "The Alpha" I purchased 2-3 years ago. It is a well made dress hat, though not on a par with my vintage Stetson, Barbisio, Borsalino, and Knox models. It is by nature a strictly dress hat, so I have no experience with it in weather. I have no complaints regarding its durability or manufacture.

HomburgCollectionGroup010.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24