Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sergei's PanamaBob Montecristi - Review and Pictures

Sergei

Gone Home
Well my Panama Montecristi Hat from PanamaBob came the other day. All I can say is wow. The density of the weave, weaves per square inch and the quality of the weave are the highest I have ever seen. There is only one hat that I have seen that blows the quality away is Adam's Super Fino that just arrived from Optimo. But that hat was over $1000. This one was far less.

I am not kidding, this is the tightest, quality weave that touched my hands. I did order the hat with wider brims, thinking that this is a summer hat where I need complete protection from the sun. The brims in the front are 3", the sides about 3.25" and the back 3.25". It's big. The crown height is about 4 1/2".

The finishing touches were completed by Sir Art Fawcett. He did the C-Dent, added the gorgeous double bow, black ribbon and a very comfortable brown leather sweatband. Art you did well. I highly recommend Art's work for all of you.

And of course cudos go to Bob for picking out a wonderful piece of art from Equador. I enjoy looking at it more sitting on the table. It's just gorgeous.

I may have second thoughts on the brim width. It does look a tad wide. So I may have some of the brim straw reblocked and thrown into the crown area. But, that maybe awhile. I am getting used to it. And my wife likes it as well.

Thanks again, Art and Bob. To all of you that were on the fence, man you don't know what you are missing. It was a hot weekend in SD this past weekend. I enjoyed wearing my new straw.

Montecristi10-vi.jpg

Montecristi11-vi.jpg

Montecristi12-vi.jpg

Montecristi1-vi.jpg

Montecristi2-vi.jpg

Montecristi3-vi.jpg

Montecristi6-vi.jpg

Montecristi4-vi.jpg

Montecristi5-vi.jpg

-Sergei

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Wow!

Nice lid Sergei! That certainly knocks me off the fence. I've been thinking about contacting Panama Bob and now I definately will. I look forward to seeing it in person.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Jeepers Wow

I knew you'd love it. Art is making me one now. It is finer than the one you got (I saw all the shippment from Bob).

I already have a hat from Panama Bob and I love it. I traded a rare straw brim iron to Art for his services. He got a good deal. Plus he needs the iron, if I kept it, it was just a curio on the mantle.

My hat being made also has "too wide" a brim, but Art is gonna do a very wide deep blue ribbon. With my fair skin, wide is better. Art says that a Panama is supposed to be wide, to shade yur face!!

Fedora

Vendor
Wow!! What a great hat, and what a great job Art does. I have a Panama that I bought from down there last year, and was quite disapointed. There is not enough hat there to call it a hat. I am still looking for a new summer straw type hat for these Mississippi summers. I would want the taller crown, though. Does this fellow still offer the taller crowns, like 5 inches after creased? I owned a Stetson Panama once that came with the metal eyelets in the crown for ventilation. They work. Fedora

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Fedora, yes, Bob can get the higher crown bodies at a premium, but well worth the additional expense ( just a few $). I have actually requested all taller bodies (5"+) to work with so that we can offer the "retro" look in toquilla.
Sergei, I am SO glad you are pleased. I wanted to call this weekend but was tied up. If you want to see the hat i ruined last time- I am wearing it in the other post with the pics. Can't see the damage in the pics though.)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am jumping

I will also get on the band wagon, and show the hat that Art "reblocked" for me , the one from Panama Bob.

As posted earlier, the hat was great. Art decided the crown was too low, and didn't have the right look. So here is what was decided upon, and I LOVE the side and rear creases to this classic tall crown block. I also have ANOTHER one with a wider brim on order (it's done, we are resizing and ribbon changing), and I will get it on Wed. Anyway, here are pics of another "Panama Bob - Art Fawcett " production. I love it.

f8deaeb0.jpg

f8deaebe.jpg

f8deaec6.jpg

f8deaeb7.jpg

f8deaec5.jpg

f8deaecc.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sergei, that is a beauty! Art does a really good brim on his hats. They have that nice swoop to them.
Good on ya!

Sergei

Gone Home
Sergei, I am SO glad you are pleased. I wanted to call this weekend but was tied up. ...[/B]

I know you were busy. I didn't want to interrupt your work for that TV project. Thanks again, Art and I will call you sometime this week to verbally thank you. I just didn't the sense of interrupting you.

AndyKev: I can't wait to see your other straw. The one that blows mine away.

Switching topics: Wait till you guys see Adam's new straw from Optimo. Now that one is extremely dense and floppy. Gorgeous dark burgundy ribbon with their Havana Block (same as Zohar's).

-S

rayk

Familiar Face
Sergei: Great lid!! I have a Panama Bob fino fino which should be at this minute on its way to Art for blocking and finishing.

Your hat appears to be about 700 wpi (?), at least that's what this blind guy counted; the weave appears very tight and regular; the color is terrific; and Art did a fantastic job on the blocking and finishing.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Sergei,

That is a gorgeous hat. Congrats! I wish I could afford one...but alas, I will have to live vicariously through your photos for now. ;)

Bogie1943

Practically Family
WOW, I am indeed exreamely impressed by the quality that Bob and Art have now brought to the table for panama hats here at the Lounge. With these reviews and pics to boot, I would expect an increase in orders around here. The weave is very nice, wonderful, having seen and held a $5000.00 Monticristi before I know that this item is top notch. Well done!

thefish

Familiar Face
That's a mighty fine looking chapeau, Sergei.

I've got a Fino from Robert as well, (wearing it in the avatar pic.) Mines an optimo block. Does Art have the blocks to do that style as well? (anyone? Art?)

Mines gotten caught in the rain a couple times, and I'd like to get the block cleaned up a bit.

-Dan

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dan

Does Art have the blocks to do that style as well? (anyone? Art?)

Mines gotten caught in the rain a couple times, and I'd like to get the block cleaned up a bit.

-Dan [/B]

Dan, look back in some of the prior posts in the HATS section. I posted numerous pics of the inside of Art's shop, and the vault.

If they aren't there, PM me with you Email and I will send you some.

I also have pics of Optimo, and a couple other hat stores in the Bay Area.

BTW, I just left Art's, we do lunch weekly. Today was my treat (we take turns). Art is getting ready for the show in LA this weekend. However, he does have some magnificent straws he's just blocked. WOW. He's gonna take some to the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass