Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serger Recommendations?

ShortClara

One Too Many
I'm thinking of asking for a serger for Christmas! Maybe $400 and under (is that possible for a pretty good one?) - any recommendations? Thanks! :p

ShortClara

One Too Many
* more info - I'd ideally like one that can cut as well as one which is relatively easy to thread. The thing I remember from the one I used in the costume shop was the nuclear-physics degree needed to thread the thing!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*squints eye*

Are you spying on me, cause I have been looking for a serger for a few weeks lol

Mine is an old Singer Merrilock 14U (4 cone) and it was my moms. Ive been scouring eBay for the same model. Ive come across a few nice models. Id looked there then go to eponions.com and get some feedback.

Ive worked on a nice Jenome for about $300. Its great, but loud as all get out!

I think you can find a great 4 cone serger for your budget. Im cheap and poor so Im looking at $150 and lower.

Good luck serger buddy!

LD

ShortClara

One Too Many
How did I know LD would answer me? ;)

You know, I have no problem with an older one - I learned to sew on a 40s singer and loved it.

I'm guessing the higher the number of cones the better the overlock stitch? And it seems that they don't all cut.

Let me know if you find a magic one! I may have to bring scrap material to the fabric store and just sit and play.

brizzdeco

New in Town
hi shortclara!

a four cone serger (or 'four thread overlocker if your in australia) is usually the go if you want your seams sewn and serged in one hit.
it uses 2 needles, the left needle will sew the straight stitch and the right needle will sew the loopy stitch. this is usually best for your knit/jersey fabrics - and the seam will be quite narrow, about 4mm.

a three cone serger will just serge the raw edges of your fabric.
so that means you are using your straight sewer to actually construct your garment and then switching to your serger to finish off your raw edges.

if you want both options go with a four cone, because you can use it both as a four or three cone by removing one of the needles and one of the spools of thread.
i have a four cone and i like the option to use it either way even though i rarely sew with knit fabrics, i have on occasion had to use it for this purpose.

regarding the cutting...im pretty sure all sergers cut?
i know you can remove the cutting blade on mine, but i have never done this.
whenever i serge i always am trimming a few millimeters of cloth as i go and i think you get a much neater finish if you do this.
plus if your cut edges are a bit wobbly you can neaten/straighten them up by having the cutting blade on your serger trim off any excess.

make sense?
hope i have not waffled on too much and confused you ;)

Miss Roulette

New in Town
I've got a Janome MyLock, a four cone overlocker (serger). It's great and really speeds up my sewing. It cost about £199.

It cuts but the blade is removable if you wish to use it for piping or cording (which I haven't yet). It's fairly easy to rethread - although best to remember the professional tip of always attaching the new thread to the old and pulling it through, saves a lot of time- and does roll edge hemming which was the main reason I chose this model as I use that finishing on the lingerie I make.

I don't know if Janome is available in the USA or not but I would recommend them if it is.

You will wonder how you managed without one!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jenomes are rad.

I think all sergers trim the edges, unless you remove the cutter (did you work on a machine that someone was doing a rolled hem?).

LD

ShortClara

One Too Many
Thanks to all! The serger I worked on did cut and I loved it, but when I was looking at specs for sergers they didn't all mention cutting, so I didn't know if they all did it. [huh]

So, the four cones actually sew your seams as well? So it almost replaces the sewing machine? What do you for bust darts or zippers? Or do you do the darts, etc on your reg machine and use the serger just for seams? Lots of questions :)

Thanks so much!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You can use a four cone serger for construction (so long as both top needles are threaded) without going back to a traditional machine and sewing. Were as 3 cone is just for finishing an edge.

LD

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Short Clara, I have a Juki, ( i forget the model) and I LOVE it!!! I had it for about a year and didn't use it because the threading was so daunting.. but it was actually very easy, it was all color coded, and it went rather fast so I was mad at myself for not doing it earlier..HA HA HA! But, It sure makes sewing a snap!!! It does all the different hems, mine came with different feet as well. But I use my regular Singer machine for buttonholes and such. That one I can thread with my eyes closed.:rolleyes:

My Juki was about $400, or just under.

Good Luck! It is a great investment, and fun to use! :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ea0f_1.JPG

A singer 14u64a
Just won this baby on eBay to replace my other serger. Yay!!

LD

dakotanorth

Practically Family
New serger

If you're willing to compromise- not actually "new" but "new to you" they tend up on Craigslist from time to time. There's one in the LA section now, I think.

To chime in on the subject I have the "Singer Tiny Serger". It _barely__ does what I need it to, and usually I have to help the flywheel along.
I do own an old serger, all metal, but the guy at the store wouldn't work on it- he thought it was "more trouble than its worth". :mad:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ShortClara said:
Lovely! You must give a review when you can! :)
They have this one at Stitch lounge, the place where I intern. My old one is in the same family as this one. Its a little work horse for sure. Wish it was a tad bit faster, and didnt bunch thinner fabric when ran through, but all in all a solid masheen.

How is your looking going ShortClara? :)
LD

ShortClara

One Too Many
My looking is tres casual right now - basically I read this thread, google what you talk about, and say oh, OK. :)

When I browse the fabric stores I'll start testing some out - hopefully the models you are all talking about. Then, I'll give a model number to husband and say, "Want!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda