Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seriously considering buying an Akubra Hampton

carldelo

One Too Many
jlee562 said:
Oh? How so?

It's my opinion, based on personal experience, I thought that was implied. I find that Stetson Sovereign felt is thicker, softer and more malleable than the Akubra felts I've had. Even Royal quality Stetson I believe has a better feel. I agree that in the construction details, Akubra is generally better and more consistent - they have great sweatbands, for instance, and good liners, although I don't care for the plastic crown protectors. There is plenty of opinion that Akubra get better with wearing, but I haven't kept any of them long enough to find out. I like my polystraw Capricorn, but it is certainly not up to the normal quality level of Aussie-made Akubra. I find it unlucky that Akubra has a dearth of medium brim-width hats (e.g. in the 2-1/8 to 2-3/8 range) which is my preferred dimension. On the other hand, I like that so many of their models have bound brims. I was sorry to part with the Sydney and the Stylemaster that I had for a short time, but the dimensions were not right for me.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
carldelo said:
It's my opinion, based on personal experience, I thought that was implied. I find that Stetson Sovereign felt is thicker, softer and more malleable than the Akubra felts I've had. Even Royal quality Stetson I believe has a better feel. I agree that in the construction details, Akubra is generally better and more consistent - they have great sweatbands, for instance, and good liners, although I don't care for the plastic crown protectors. There is plenty of opinion that Akubra get better with wearing, but I haven't kept any of them long enough to find out. I like my polystraw Capricorn, but it is certainly not up to the normal quality level of Aussie-made Akubra. I find it unlucky that Akubra has a dearth of medium brim-width hats (e.g. in the 2-1/8 to 2-3/8 range) which is my preferred dimension. On the other hand, I like that so many of their models have bound brims. I was sorry to part with the Sydney and the Stylemaster that I had for a short time, but the dimensions were not right for me.

Oh, indeed, it was implied, but I was asking about your reasoning. Comparing my Stetson Temple (sovereign) to my Akubra Fed IV (Imperial), while I wouldn't disagree that the Stetson is thicker and softer feeling, I've also had washout from the powder dye. I've also seen numerous examples of Stetsons that simply don't hold up to the weather, whereas my Fed IV is my go to rain hat because it can take a beating. That's why I would say that Akubra's felt is superior.

carldelo

One Too Many
jlee562 said:
Oh, indeed, it was implied, but I was asking about your reasoning. Comparing my Stetson Temple (sovereign) to my Akubra Fed IV (Imperial), while I wouldn't disagree that the Stetson is thicker and softer feeling, I've also had washout from the powder dye. I've also seen numerous examples of Stetsons that simply don't hold up to the weather, whereas my Fed IV is my go to rain hat because it can take a beating. That's why I would say that Akubra's felt is superior.

Fair enough, although this has not been my experience. But we're seriously hijacking this thread, so I think we should be good FL citizens and mosey off and discuss this in another locale, preferably with a cold one at our elbows......
Cheers ;)

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
jbucklin said:
I tried to PM you but was unable to for some reason. Maybe I haven't posted enough.

My hat size is 7 3/8, or 59 cm.

Sorry, mine is a size 57cm and it's in cruiser grey.

christphil

New in Town
I actually have both the Hampton and the Saxon. Here's the juice for those that can only purchase one or the other---and I'll try to refrain from using hyperbole.

The Hampton has a bound edge on the brim, clear inner plastic crown protector (great if you use greasy hair products), softer sweatband and more tapered crown.

The Saxon has a rigid leather sweatband, straighter crown, and slightly wider brim. Additionally my hat is charcoal and the color did stain my hands when rubbed vigorously. The ribbon is secured to the hat by what looks like very thin fishing line---I don't like the look of it.

I also agree with previous comments that Stetson Royal felt feels heavier and denser than Akubra Imperial felt. This is not an anomoly as I own several hats from both manufacturers. However this isn't a bad thing. I actually prefer Akubra felt.

It's a significantly different look despite the hats appearing so similar. The Hampton will complement your collection well.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks Philip for the informative comparison of the two hats. I was a little concerned that when I finally do buy the Hampton that it will end up being too similar to the Saxon. You have dispelled all my fears!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou