Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Service Boots...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hello all,

I have a couple of questions. the first is about the service boot put out by both At the Front and What Price Glory. Which do you folks, that own either or both, think is the better bang for the buck? How is the quality and comfort of these boots.
Also, I would like to know about the officers oxfords. Typically the brown shoes worn with the pinks. I think I've seen Wild Root wearing a pair in a previous post but I'm not too sure. Are there any deadstock Government issue WWII oxfords left out there, and where can one resource these shoes? Or is there a modern reproduction of these shoes? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to these questions.
Happy 4th of July to y'all.

Cheers!

Dan

Mike K.

One Too Many
gotta give folks some time to respond...

Hey Dan,
I've been looking into a new pair of repro service shoes myself. Based on the homework I've been doing, both of the companies you mentioned sell good replicas. The only complaint I've heard is about the color not being accurate but that's easily fixed. My only reservation concerns the fact that, at least with At The Front (don't remember about the other), the shoes run large and are built on an E last so they're wide too. I suppose if you wear nice thick wool hiking socks or have a foot that fits this you'll be okay. But what if you're a regular size and want to wear historically accurate uniform socks...add insoles? There's another seller of WWII uniforms on eBay
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkeith7524fnl
I've emailed a few people who have purchased from Keith and they have stated that the service shoes he sells are good repros, of good quality, and fit as indicated. Even though Keith exports from Hong Kong, products arrive in less than one week! There's also a lot of repro clothing on his eBay site - M1937 trousers & shirts, HBT items, etc. His buyers have told me that the items are at least as good as what you'd get from ATF or WPG.

As for the low-quarters shoes, there are a few expensive reproductions like Buzz Rickson (Eastman/HPA) out there. But remember that officers could go with private purchase shoes as long as they were plain toe and russet (or something close). On eBay, if you search for 'polo brown oxford' you might find a shoe put out buy Ralph Lauren called the 'Carlson' that's a pretty darn close match to the issue low-quarters (see my other post elsewhere on this site). You can also get a different color and take it to the nearest cobbler and have it refinished in russet. This might not work well with black shoes, however, you can soak them in diluted bleach for a day to remove the black finish, let them dry, then refinish them in the appropriate color. Sounds harsh but I've tried it with very good results and no harm to the leather.

Hope this helps!

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Hi Dan,

I own a pair of service boots, that Mike is talking about. Keith sent them very quick to germany and the quality is just as well as the ones from AT THE FRONT. A good buddy of mine is wearing a pair of AT THE FRONT like me for a half year now and we are also using them while motor biking. Take a look at the thread REENACTORS CAMP and see how we are wearing them. Me is the one with the mustache.

Happy 4th to yall.

J.B.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Expand possibilities

Mike K. said:
As for the low-quarters shoes, there are a few expensive reproductions like Buzz Rickson (Eastman/HPA) out there. But remember that officers could go with private purchase shoes as long as they were plain toe and russet (or something close).

Hi Dan

Mikes point is a good one - officers could wear private purchase items if they so wished ( and could afford ) and I'm sure that many of them DID ! If I was an officer back then and had the choice of wearing army issue shoes or a nice pair of Churchs oxfords or similar then it'd be 'no contest' !!

I saw the copies that Buzz Rickson / Eastman were selling and, whilst they look very good reproductions, they are kind of expensive !! For not too much more money, you could have yourself a pair of quality handmade shoes which will go well with lots of other 30s/40s civilian ensembles and not just USAAF uniform;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I have the WPG service shoes, and they are really pretty good. The color is good and the sole is spot on. They even have the US Army stamp molded into the sole. I'm not sure how durable the leather is, though, and I've never been willing to put them through their paces to test their durability! They are extremely comfortable from day 1, though, and if I wasn't afraid of destroying them I'd probably wear them on a regular basis. One of them even squeaks like an old shoe!

jake431

Practically Family
I've had a pair of wwiiimpressions service shoes now for about 4 years, and though they're worn in, the leather is sound. I need to get some stitching redone, and probably time for a re sole, but I think they're great, overall.

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats