Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Service Shoes Type II

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Messages
143
I'm interested in a pair of Service Shoes and looking at the shoes sold by WWIIimpressions and At the Front.
The WWIIimpression boots are $150 and the At the Front boots are $109.99. The WWIIimpressions are US made and the At the Front are imports. I'm curious if anyone has either had both or possible been able to examine them both and have any comments that might help me with my descision?
 

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Messages
295
Location
La Mesa CA
Blackgrass said:
I'm interested in a pair of Service Shoes and looking at the shoes sold by WWIIimpressions and At the Front.
The WWIIimpression boots are $150 and the At the Front boots are $109.99. The WWIIimpressions are US made and the At the Front are imports. I'm curious if anyone has either had both or possible been able to examine them both and have any comments that might help me with my descision?

I'm wearing the imports from ATF. I dig them but had a problem with the right shoe squeeking. Powder fixed it.

My next pair, if I ever wear these out, will be made in America.

I see some quality issues with the cutting of some of the leather.

My advice: Go the extra bucks and get the Made in Amerca.
 

Baggers

Practically Family
Messages
861
Location
Allen, Texas, USA
I've got the ATF boots and really like them. I'd caution you though to go down a size depending on what you normally wear, particularly if it's a half size. I wear a 12 or sometimes an 11 1/2 depending on the maker, and their size 12s felt like clown shoes. I later got a pair of 11s and they fit much better. Other factors that you should consider is the thickness of sock you plan on wearing with them and whether or not you want to use an insole.

Cheers!
 

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Messages
10,041
Location
A devout capitalist in Los Angeles CA.
I have the WWII impressions service shoes... they are awsome.

IMG_2708-vi.jpg
 

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Messages
1,291
Location
Austin, TX
I have tried both the ATF boots and the WWII impressions. I think both are about the same quality. The leather used on the WWII impressions boots is a tad better, however the quality of the stitching is better on the ATF boots.

I ended up keeping the WWII impressions boots simply because they fit my feet better, so if the ATF boots fit you fine, I would likely go with them because of the price difference.
 

Mike K.

One Too Many
Messages
1,479
Location
Southwest Florida
I agree fully with Matt Deckard - the WWII Impressions boots are the best. Top quality leather, tough as nails, comfy, and a very good range of sizes (not just the E widths you find from other suppliers). You might find these threads from the WWII forum useful. Photos, comparison reviews of different suppliers, etc. are all available.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9102&highlight=boots

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21080&highlight=boots

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40508

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41020

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=38375

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=24820
 

JennyLou

Practically Family
Messages
689
Location
La Puente, Ca
Just bought my pair from WWII Impressions and so far I'm loving them. i was gonna go with ATFs because money is tight and they are cheaper but they didn't hav ethem small enough. I even want to use them for everyday wear so I think I might look into getting them treated so their waterproof.
 

Davep

One of the Regulars
Messages
221
Location
Los Angeles
JennyLou said:
Just bought my pair from WWII Impressions and so far I'm loving them. i was gonna go with ATFs because money is tight and they are cheaper but they didn't hav ethem small enough. I even want to use them for everyday wear so I think I might look into getting them treated so their waterproof.


Jenny check with the gals in your unit. As they may want you to "dub" your boots. "Dubbing" is what they did during WW2 to waterproof their boots. Once you dub your boots they won't look anything like they do now, i.e. they will come out darker.

You can always tell people with fresh out of the box boots, they look out of place. Also wear your boots alot before attending an event so you've got them broken in, otherwise your feet and ankles will be sore.

Also another thing many of us do is put an insole in the boot. The boots have no arche, and putting an insole in makes the boots more comfortable and less wear and tear on your feet. A lot of guys in my unit use superfeet.
 

JennyLou

Practically Family
Messages
689
Location
La Puente, Ca
Davep said:
Jenny check with the gals in your unit. As they may want you to "dub" your boots. "Dubbing" is what they did during WW2 to waterproof their boots. Once you dub your boots they won't look anything like they do now, i.e. they will come out darker.

You can always tell people with fresh out of the box boots, they look out of place. Also wear your boots alot before attending an event so you've got them broken in, otherwise your feet and ankles will be sore.

Also another thing many of us do is put an insole in the boot. The boots have no arche, and putting an insole in makes the boots more comfortable and less wear and tear on your feet. A lot of guys in my unit use superfeet.
Thank you for all the advice. I'll look into it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
106,693
Messages
3,019,476
Members
52,282
Latest member
joeydavies
Top