Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shady Lady

varga49

One of the Regulars
I have an old paper window shade that belonged to my Dad. He got it from a buddy while he was in the Army Aircorps. Not just any old shade mind you. On the shade is a beautiful, what I will refer to as a "pinup model" drawn in what I guess is pastels. It was signed "To Verne, an original shady lady but only has the initials DP"Has anyone here ever come across one of these? For years I've looked for some resources for any information. I do know that there were several shady lady paintings that were painted on WWII Bombers...I even corresponded with Max Collins,(Road to Perdition) who collects wwII pinup poster art...No help but he did offer to buy it...I'd just like to find out more about this shade! I'm going to take some pictures and post them soon

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hummm, sounds really neat! I'd like to see it. I don't think I have ever heard of pin-up art on paper window shades.

There are some odd and "One Off's" that came from WWII. You may have something very valuable there! Should try and make it out to Antique road show some time and have them look at it.

Good luck,
WR.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
is it a print or is it a painting......I know some of the troops would paint the pinups on thier shades so they could be rolled up out of the eyes of supiriors as well as gluing them to shades for the same reason........not sure how many basses this happened on just have heard a few old timers mention it to me

varga49

One of the Regulars
Hi Doc...It's neither print nor painting...looks to me like pastels...I'm having a few technical problems getting the picture uploaded...newbie-itis perhaps! I like the concept you offered..

varga49

One of the Regulars
OK lets see if this works

http://public.fotki.com/varga49/shady_lady/img_0899.html
http://public.fotki.com/varga49/shady_lady/shadylady02.html
img_0899.html

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Roadshow

I don't know, but I'd bet a dollar you have something pretty out of the ordinary and valuable there.
I wonder if Root could repop that on a jacket...

If there is an Antiques Roadshow in your neighborhood, I'd make sure I took that shade there. It's just amazing - for what it is, for how well it is executed, for the apparent condition, for the subject matter, for the clarity of the signature/initials, for the unusual medium, for the era produced - it has it all going on.
You could also email it to the Keno twins for their Find! show on PBS.

I'm stunned - what a great object! Thanks for showing it off.

varga49

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
You could also email it to the Keno twins for their Find! show on PBS.
I may do just that...right now I'm trying to figure out how to both display and perserve it for others enjoyment, rather than keep it rolled and tubed!

Glad you enjoyed the images!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Can you say: rare?

Oh, that is a rare pin-up! How cool is that image!!! You know, it reminds me of a girl I once knew. And she dressed 40's from time to time.

Crazy stuff my friend! Display that well! Take it to a pro and have it mounted and framed properly to preserve it!

What a master piece of WWII art!

WR.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Thank You! I appreciate everyones comments! Soon I'll be getting this shade properly mounted and up on the wallfor everyone to see!

PS I know what you mean about the girl!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran