Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaping a fedora?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Yes it is indeed 100% wool felt, made in China (like most things) but nicely done...I've begun 'rolling the edges and bit by bit it's starting to work, whether or not it returns over time will become apparent!

I can't get those links to work(perhaps it's just the Sunday busy period?)

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'd be tempted to leave it alone for 2 possible reasons:
1) I have a feeling that no matter what you do it will eventually fall back into its original shape
2) Worse case scenario, it only goes halfway back to its original shape and you're left with a misshapen hat that doesn't look right.

My advice would be to buy lots of different hats! :) Let your M&S hat be what it wants to be, and also go out and buy a fur felt that you can shape into anything you want.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Sadly DR I fear the worst and that I shall indeed start yet another collecting spree of old things to go with my 50 or so vintage watches, 45 or so vintage binoculars, 6 vintage clocks, 14 rideable vintage and veteran racing and touring bicycles(along with 6 more in yet unrestored condition!)
Having said that I live in an almost antique (late Edwardian house) and much of our furniture is 1900-1940 so I guess some clothing is really in order and the best thing is that being 43 and obviously getting older the younger generation expect you to dress "like an old man" so sweet and cool with me it is...I just need to make some wardrobe space or perhaps better still invest in some 1930's ones with nickle plated integral ite racks etc!!!

DNO

One Too Many
I have successfully reshaped/creased/bashed several wool hats using the same technique used on fur felt hats...steam and patience. They are certainly not as easy to work with as fur felt hats but they can be done.

The links are broken for me as well but I know there are lots of threads on creasing or bashing hats...try a search. Something useful should pop up.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There are different types of wool hats. I have a couple that are completely reshapeable and a couple of others that won't take if new shape if you sat on them. It depends on how they were originally formed. Pictures of the outside and inside might help us (me) determine which type you have.

HatsEnough

Banned
I have also reshaped 100% wool hats. I found the key was to get them good and wet, then reshape them and let them completely dry in the new shape. Also, be sure and wear it a bit while it dries. I've not had a hat resist a new crease yet but, admittedly, I don't buy wool hats very often.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have also reshaped 100% wool hats. I found the key was to get them good and wet, then reshape them and let them completely dry in the new shape. Also, be sure and wear it a bit while it dries. I've not had a hat resist a new crease yet but, admittedly, I don't buy wool hats very often.

When I want a hat to retain a new shape, the best thing for me to do is to get them good and wet, as you said, reshape them, but then just leave them alone until they dry completely. I have found that so much as moving a hat can cause the felt to want it to return to its original shape. I sit hats that I have just reshaped on top of motorcycle helmets. That way, the brim isn't affected. Just my own observation.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
A question: How can I shape the front pinch/bash?
I showed my mother one of my new hats (a 1940s Dobbs) and she unknowingly undid the pinch, making it look like a homburg. She has no real love or knowledge of hats or hat wearing outside of my dad wearing his straw hats and newer stingies.

job

One Too Many
Dog, I get my hat supplies from sheplers.com.
FedoraFan, Sometimes it takes some steam and the correct size glass or jar being held against the hat to make a pinch stay in a hat.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up

Steam will do the trick. You can use a tea kettle to supply the steam. Hold the area of the hat you want to work with for a few seconds over the steam to soften the hat felt then adjust the pinch as you like and let cool.
I use a portable clothles steamer to do the work. But I have a lot of hats and since you are new to the wearing fedora's you might not have something like this.

Jiffy-Steamer-0601-ESTEAM-Travel

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I showed my mother one of my new hats (a 1940s Dobbs) and she unknowingly undid the pinch, making it look like a homburg. She has no real love or knowledge of hats or hat wearing outside of my dad wearing his straw hats and newer stingies.

If your mom simply pushed the crease out of a 1940s Dobbs, it should just pop right back into place. Have you given it a try sans steam or water?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I'd be tempted to leave it alone for 2 possible reasons:
1) I have a feeling that no matter what you do it will eventually fall back into its original shape
2) Worse case scenario, it only goes halfway back to its original shape and you're left with a misshapen hat that doesn't look right.

My advice would be to buy lots of different hats! :) Let your M&S hat be what it wants to be, and also go out and buy a fur felt that you can shape into anything you want.

That is very "zen" of you, sir :)

Dobb

Familiar Face
Indents?

Forgive me if use improper terms. I am very green , just starting the fedora addiction. This evening I bought a real beauty, she is a Dobbs 5th Ave Tuscany Mink Fedora. This old girl is gorgeous, absolutely mint in the box. The only thing it doesn't have, and I wish it had ,is the side indents on the crown. I am wondering if it is possible to add the indents.

Otateral

Familiar Face
I believe so. I'm a noob myself, but was able to do this recently. I brought a pot of water to boil (a kettle works better, I've read) and held the areas I wanted to crease over the steam for about 20 seconds. I then shaped it the way that I wanted, and let it dry. It now tends to hold that shape. There's a lot of threads here on various methods. Will see if I can dig one up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy