Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaping a fedora?

tealseal

A-List Customer
Update

Thanks to everyone that provided their input to my misshapen hat issues. Thought I'd share with you all that I successfully adjusted the pinches in my homburg to give it a symmetrical, but hand-handled, look. However, since I have no flange I was unable to rescue the brim of the Cervo :( That one's going to the hatters, assuming I can find one in Arizona that has a 2-inch flange (AZ Hatters in Tucson, apparently, does not).
All the best!
tealseal

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
I have a couple of fur felt fedoras that I would like to re-shape a little. Mostly, I like to turn down the front of the brim more sharply, and tighten the pinch in the crown. I've just done it by hand and the new shape doesn't last long before it returns to its original shape. I've read about steaming and soaking on the Internet, but the sources don't seem trustworthy. Is there a sticky here I should follow, or would ya'll mind giving a little advice?

Thanks.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Not sure why said sources seem suspect, both steam and water are quite commonly used to shape hats. You can use steam from a kettle, but be aware that it's the moist air you're after, not the heat per se. Alternatively, a spray bottle with distilled water will work.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Brim:
Steam or apply distilled water, then press the brim front over a convex surface, like a large bottle or can (Pringles perhaps, or a large SIGG water bottle), and hold the brim firmly in place until it keeps the shape. With steam, you will have to be quick about the whole procedure. With distilled water, there's no hurry - on the other hand, the brim will take a minute to actuall hold the new shape.

Front pinch/ side dents of crown:

Resistant creases (the felt's memory) are best removed by spraying the felt with distilled water rather than by steaming it. New creases that wouldn't hold as a dry crease will definitely hold after a generous wet treatment as well. The old crease may still show through in some cases.
Sometimes it's useful to get the crown back to open crown first, then let it dry completely, use distilled water once more, and put in the new crease. Usually, however, all you need is one sitting from the old crease to the new one.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I do just as Rabbit suggests. I bought a block on eBay (1 size smaller than I wear to avoid having to remove the sweatband) which I use often.

After giving the hat a good spay (I've been known to but the hats under the shower if no distilled water available) and get to open crown on the block.

Once the old crease is gone and hat is dry, spray again and shape.

It you are just looking to get your hat to hold its crease, just get it pretty wet, shape the crease how you want it and Bobs your Uncle! These hats are pretty tough - you won't hurt them with this process.

Edward

Bartender
I've always used steam from the kettle to reshape hats. Hold the area you want to reshape over a boiling kettle, git it well 'covered' with the steam. Just be careful with your paws - easy to sustain a burn there. Once a good lot of steam has passed over the part of the hat you direct into it, you'll feel the fur much softer. Reshape as desired and leave to cool. Never failed me.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
You can indeed apply too much water and soak the felt to the core. However, if you're using a spray bottle, it would take you a while to do so.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I reshape hats quite often. I use a spray bottle. Spray the hat until it darkens evenly, then stop. The hat will be wet enough to reshape but not too wet to cause any future funkiness. Don't be too gentle. Move the creases around until you get what you want. You may have to hold it in place a short while until the felt gives in. Set the hat on a surface where any part of the brim that swoops down won't touch anything. I use a large mixing bowl or motorcycle helmet.

If it's a particularly stubborn crease, you may have to repeat the process, but that hasn't happened to me often.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Upside-down on a folded towel works too. That's how I dried my Federation when I was done bashing it, and it was how I dried all my rained-on hats before I got a stand for them.
A felt hat soaked to the core will happen if you wear it in the rain. Just make sure it's in the shape you want it to dry in, throw a stretcher in it, and let it dry completely.
I often use rain to reshape my hats :p
You're asking the right questions!

clossonrr

New in Town
Hey all, So I also have a hat I would like to reshape.It is a beaver brand custom teardrop hat. The thing with these hats are that they come EXTREMELY STIFF. I do not have a hat block, what do I need to do? Should I just soak the hat with distilled water until i can work the old creases out?

job

One Too Many
Try steam first. I have sprayed on felt water repellent on hats that are more for rainy days and it helps.

Hey all, So I also have a hat I would like to reshape.It is a beaver brand custom teardrop hat. The thing with these hats are that they come EXTREMELY STIFF. I do not have a hat block, what do I need to do? Should I just soak the hat with distilled water until i can work the old creases out?
For pressed in factory creases, I use a spray bottle with distilled water to really soak the crown to work out those stiff, factory types. If you don't take it back to open crown, there will be a good bit of "memory" for the original crease. My best luck for taking out factory creases is going back to open crown, letting that set in some, then changing to my desired crease. Before getting a hat shaper, I have modified factory creases more than actually change one, mostly taking out cattleman creases & going to a teardrop. Took a long time to work out the remnants of the factory creases tho. YRMV.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points