Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I love Django Reinhardt, great guitarist.

One my 20's favorites were Coon-Sanders Nighthawks, my favorite 78 of theirs is Sluefoot, great Orthophonic record.

I have a couple of Jack Hylton's 12" 78's, I'm not sure what the titles are though, fun listening to the original discs.

I run the gamut from Cylinders, to Diamond Discs, to 78's, both machines and the records.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
I can't help but share my enthusiasm for this subject.. Jack Hylton, Louis Armstrong, McKinney's Cotton Pickers!! All those names evoke a time in popular music that was truly ''golden." Listening to this music takes me back to a lost era. Imagine being able to hear Bing Crosby sing live over the radio, or dancing to Gus Arnheim's music at the Cocoanut Grove.

I have to agree with Dismuke completely.. There was just an incredible amount of musical talent during those years.

If you're like myself, and you enjoy it all, jazz that's sweet, hot, and in-between - the music to be discovered is almost endless.

Here's just a few of my favorites:

Coon-Sanders Nighthawks

Crooner Al Bowlly (his sides with the Ray Noble Orchestra are especially wonderful!)

Bing and the Boswell Sisters (the first and greatest of the female vocal trios)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say, that's a mighty fine photo of Bing with the Boswell's! Got some fine taste there friend!;)

You know, we must not forget Paul Whiteman! Or Bix!

whitemanbonusphoto.jpg

250px-Bixbeib.jpg

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
resortes805 said:
I really love jazzy R'n'B from the late 40's and 50's...the real greasy central avenue sound from Los Angeles. I guess artists like Big Jay McNeely, and Joe Houston fit in this category.

Heh, heh, Resos.
Now youre talkin!
Joe Houston is one of my all time favorites.
McNeely's great too.
I love "The Goof"!
Dont forget Chuck Higgins.

Thats jazz exactly how I like it. Fast and alive!!

EC

nightandthecity

Practically Family
when it comes to honkers lets not forget Wild Bill Moore...those tracks with Big Joe Turner are as hot as it gets.....send me every time

moore.jpg

kools

Practically Family
I have a video somewhere of Slim and Slam playing a smokey club in LA. Back in the 80s a friend of mine was seriously smitten by it ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú shortly after what does he do but run into Slim himself late at night on Crewe station! (for a US equivalent circa 1985 imagine running into Stephane Grapelli waiting for a Greyhound in some run down industrial backwater in the midwest).

I've got this on video...it's actually Slim & Bam (Brown) playing at Billy Berg's. Bam Brown wasn't quite the musician that Slam Stewart was, but was about as zany as Slim Gaillard. The video also has a lot of King Cole Trio clips. They were a much more refined approach to the small combo sound. Tasty stuff!

Identifying my favorite jazz (or related forms) is an impossible mission. One day I may be listening to any of the following categories...

early jazz
Louis Armstrong...did all his best in the '20s
Bix
Eddie Lang
Duke

'30s swing
The Count!
Jimmie Lunceford
Goodman
Chick Webb

'30s/'40s small combo/jive
Slim Gaillard
King Cole Trio
Stuff Smith
Big 3 Trio
3 Peppers
Cats & A Fiddle

'40s jump
Louis Jordan
Roy Brown
Wynonie Harris
Joe Liggins
Jimmy Liggins
Roy Milton
T-Bone Walker, etc...

Man, this list could literally go on forever and include other genres:(vocal...Mills Bros., Delta Rhythm Boys); Calypso. My life has a never-ending sountrack!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
kools said:
Man, this list could literally go on forever and include other genres:(vocal...Mills Bros., Delta Rhythm Boys); Calypso. My life has a never-ending sountrack!

yeah, there's no end to it! So much good music out there. I come back a lot to the Hot Club and the Duke though.

By the way, excellent list!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Kools,

Great list. I'm guessing you're either a diehard jazz fan or - the hair's a clue - a musician. Great list.

Good lists from everyone so far. Lack of boppers, hard boppers - and Davis! - is somewhat surprising, but each to their own ...

Me, i'm a Miles Davis convert. When i was growing up, all i was exposed to was his abysmal (IMHO) funky electro-jazz stuff. A real turn-off. Then i discovered Miles in the Sky and i was hooked. The Davis recorded output from 1954-1968 - pre-Bitches Brew - is one of the best i know.

bk

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Too much to post tonight but a tip for us 20s&30s musik lovers.

Every Sunday from 8PM to Midnite EST; a programme,The Big Broadcast streams on the internet Worldwide, and is on 90.7 fm in the Noo Yawk area. There is also an archive of past shows and a play list for the shows. The host; Rich Conaty,has been doing the show for about 30 years. He knows his onions.

http://wfuv.org/

Having lived in the City for all but the last dozen
years, I've seen and drunk to mucho Jazz. I attended Monk's Town Hall Concert in '59 and lived only a few blocks from the Five Spot and saw him and Trane too many times to count. From the mid-50s on, the drinking age was only 18 back then, I saw just about everybody who gigged in Town, most many times over. Birdland, Basin Street, Da 1/2 Note, Fat Tuesday's( down the street from me the other way), & on & glorious on... :cool2:

more to follow if youse are innerested...

topcat

Familiar Face
The Nat King Cole Trio.

Songs like Etymology "ool you cool means I love you ,so let me put you wise,
da bla blee means can't you see that I got great big bulging eyes".....with Jack Costanzo's bongos in the background 'dis is one solid number.

Suprised if Mr Wildroot has yet to hear of the Cole Trio song,"Wildroot Charlie". Should be your theme song. Quite the number.

"You better get Wildroot Cream Oil Charlie,start using it today,
You'll find that you, will have a tough time Charlie, keeping all those gals away".

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Repost 'cause it's SUNDAY

a tip for us 20s&30s musik lovers.

Every Sunday from 8PM to Midnite EST; a programme,The Big Broadcast streams on the internet Worldwide, and is on 90.7 fm in the Noo Yawk area. There is also an archive of past shows and a play list for the shows. The host; Rich Conaty,has been doing the show for about 30 years. He knows his onions.

http://wfuv.org/ :drum:

topcat

Familiar Face
Thanks for the tip Mr Katt in the Hat ,nice hearing an old fashioned nostalgic program on the air on a tranquil sunday evening of modern day 2006.

Among others worth mentioning in the world of Jazz- Bobby Hackett.

No one delivered a smoother tone with the horn than that guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21