Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

Quigley Brown said:
Baron....you wouldn't happen to like zither music, would you?

how did you guess???? ;)

doodoo doodoo doodoo doo doo

The criterion collection dvd has a short of Karas playing in a club in London just after the movie came out. Talk about a one hit wonder!

Excellent music :cheers1:, excellent movie, excellent book, excellent suits, excellent hats, pretty girl, dashing hero (sort of), and the greatest - that's right, the GREATEST - pseudo-villain (and the most sinister homosexual character) ever committed to film. Could the movie be any better????

bk

makll

Familiar Face
Aint Misbehavin'

HI folks, I'm Mary Ann.
As you may, see I dont post often.
I stop by the powder room from time to time. I am a milliner / hatmaker.

I was playing a little guitar and wanting to play "Aint Misbehavin' ". I was hoping to hear a rendition via internet but my search comes up short.

The question is, Who sang it.
The music I have is by Thomas Waller and Harry Brooks.
Its an old Jazz standard.

Any ideas?

Thanks
makll

I didn't try to download it (dial-up connection at home - it would take hours) so i don't know if you'd have to pay for it, but here is Mr. Armstrong in 1929. I know this is a particularly good rendition because i have it on a CD somewhere.

Hope it helps ...

http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-details-db.php?collectionid=Misbehavin&collection=opensource_audio

Any other jazz fanatics with more suggestions? I know just about every jazz singer in history recorded it. Other internet recordings MUST exist somewhere.

bk

makll

Familiar Face
Baron Kurtz said:
Mr. Armstrong in 1929. Hope it helps ...

http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-details-db.php?collectionid=Misbehavin&collection=opensource_audio

Great thanks :cheers1:
I know just about every jazz singer in history recorded it. Other internet recordings MUST exist somewhere.

bk
Yes, Thats what I thought. google search gives lyrics by Fats waller, ray charles, ella fitzgerald etc.
I was looking it up on "Acquistion". I think I 'll try again, maybe my connection was bad...

The Duke

One of the Regulars
sonny.jpg

I was just listening to 'Plus 4' with Sonny Rollins on sax, Clifford Brown on trumpet, George Morrow on bass and Max Roach on drums, and Richie Powell, Bud Powell's brother on piano. Excellent record! every song is good. I recommend this record highly, Clifford Brown a.k.a Brownie & Rollins are awesome, If Brownie & Richie Powell didn't die tragically this band would of been one of the top be-bop bands.

I also recommend listening to 'Clifford Brown & Max Roach' on Emarcy records.

http://www.cliffordbrown.net/index.html

As to later jazz 50's, I am drawn to latin jazz such as Tito Puente and Cal Tjader although Cal is a little later still.

I am also in love with Damaso Perez "Prez" Prado and the sound of the Mambo. Cerezo Rosa, maria Bonita, Mambo En Trompeta, Mambo en Sax, Mambo #8 & #5.

Also Chico O'Farrel who did a lot of arranging of music for the big guys.

but if you want to see me happy watch when i put on Louie Prima and Keely Smith from the Vegas era. Jump Jive & Wail!

Warmest regards,

Harry Lime

Suspended
The Impossible Thread.

So many great artists, so little time, so much to think about. I narrow it to four who have affected me the most profoundly:

1) Duke. A genius, through and through. And it's unfair to mention to mention Duke without mentioning Billy Strayhorn, where did one start and the other begin.

2) Louis Armstrong. The man.

3) Billie Holliday, pain personified in vocals.

4) Bix Beiderbecke, pain personified in the coronet. As Lousi said, "ain't non played like hime yet." The brilliant, tragic, almost forgotten young man with a horn and one of the saddest musical stories of the 20th century.

So many others have menat so much. Dexter Gordon, Ben Webster, Count Basie, Bennie Goodman, Chet Baker, Dinah Washington, Zoot Sims, Art Tatum...unbelievable. I hope this thread makes young members go out and buy as much jazz as possible and listen to it as much as possible. Jazz id the American story told in music.

Harry Lime

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
One CD I like to reccomend is the Soundtrack to the movie the Cotton Club, whch has faithful yet modern reproducctions of the Ellington sound.
If you don't have it, get it, period.

Definitely, especially if you like the depression era sound - That was the soundtrack to my first trip to Charleston, South Carolina - fell in love with that city by those late 20s-early 30s Ellington tracks, the music fits the elegance & sophistication of the historic district so well, could almost hear it echoing through a Panatrope in the old homes...

DSC00266.JPG
patio-lg.jpg
hall1-sm.jpg

Cousin, that looks like a pretty nice town.

Anyone checked these guys out yet?

http://www.disconforme.com/

I have two of their DVDs: The sound of jazz (the big swing names, and some mid 50s big names) and "Great Performances: Lester young, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis". This one has all the existing film of Parker. Most of it is mimed, but there is one live number. The Lester young stuff is "Jammin' the blues" and some video of the Jazz at the Philharmonic troupe. The miles davis is "The Sound of Miles Davis" - some small group stuff w/ the coltrane sextet and some stuff with gil evans/+19 band etc.

Check it out. They cover pretty much every taste in jazz ...

bk

jpdesign

Vendor
On our honeymoon, my wife an I danced to the Jim Cullom Jazz Band in San Antonio, so they are one of our fovorites. If you mak it to the riverwalk you should check it out.

http://www.landing.com/

click on title "The Jim Cullum Jazz Band"

Jim Cullum Jazz Band
Goose Pimples
Jim Cullum Jazz Band Home Page

What you will hear has such rare cohesion for a traditional jazz band that someone is bound to ask about written scores. They were used in two instances only. Bix's lead on the outgoing choruses of Goose Pimples was scored for two cornets, working from the 1927 Okeh record. Cliff Gillette worked twice-weekly sessions in San Antonio, appearances at jazz concerts, musicianship and a rare flair for ensemble teamwork - not scores- have developed the sound of the band. For Bobby Hackett, Armstrong was, is and always will be "the greatest". Jim, Jr. feels Lu Watters should get the palm for the best ensemble lead. But there is a lot of Beiderbecke lurking around this CD and not just in the choice of tunes, either. -Alan Webber

Jimmy

Bebop

Practically Family
I just listened to Charles Mingus' "Blues & Roots". What a great CD! I sit down and do nothing but listen intently to this once every few months and I am always "spiritualy fondled". I love Pepper Adams and Jackie McLean on this CD. They make a great couple (of saxaphone players).
Blossom Dearie and Anita O'Day are also two of my favorites. If you like the sound of the clarinet, you will love the way Art Pepper plays it. Unlike any other clarinetist. He is known mostly as a sax guy but his clarinet is very nice and somber.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I really love jazzy R'n'B from the late 40's and 50's...the real greasy central avenue sound from Los Angeles. I guess artists like Big Jay McNeely, and Joe Houston fit in this category.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Jack Hylton!

rstarita-hylton.jpg

I have one 12" 78 on a black and gold 1930-31 RCA Victor "Scrolled" label of Jack Hylton's. I LOVE IT!!! On one side is "Just A Gigolo" and I'd bet it was one of the first recordings of that song. I can't recall the second side but, it's just as good!
jackhylton9pm.jpg

I'm looking for more Jack Hylton! He had a great band from the 20's into the 30's.

Also, if any one wants to hear some killer home cooked Jazz, McKinney's Cotton Pickers is GREAT! 1927-1929 are some good years of their band!

fletcherhenderson.jpg

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Also, if any one wants to hear some killer home cooked Jazz, McKinney's Cotton Pickers is GREAT! 1927-1929 are some good years of their band!

McKinney's Cotton Pickers is great indeed - one of my all time favorites. The band was led by Don Redman and, in the early 1930s, it continued on as Don Redman And His Orchestra. I think that is my favorite period for the band. Their "Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams" sends goose bumps down my spine. "Never Swat A Fly" is a really cool yet charming song. "Chant of the Weed" is downright strange - and breathtaking. "I Heard" is another great recording the band made. Pretty much anything McKinney's Cotton Pickers/Don Redman Orchestra recorded was a winner.

As for Jack Hylton - he had an excellent band too. I am very fond of the old British dance bands. Ambrose had a good one. Jack Payne and Jack Jackson also had nice bands as did Harry Roy.

There was just SO much talent in those days. And today - well, there is absolutely nothing I care to listen to at all when it comes to popular music. It truely was a "Golden Era" in so, so many ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points