Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Merkur with feather blade (excellent), but for a week or so I've been doing something different. Along with the tube cream from Bath & Body Works, I'm adding a dime-sized dollop of plain old Barbasol in the green can, then whipping it up with the brush. It seems to make a really really rich lather and a very close shave.

I also start off with using Porter's Lotion from J Peterman as a pre-shave oil (witch hazel). Then HOT cloth, then the cream. Two passes, and cold water.

JEEP

Practically Family
60s British Gillette tech w. alu. handle
Gillette swede
Wilkinson artificial brush
AOS unscented soap
Taylor of Old Bond Street alum block
Organic 98% Aloe Vara gel mixed with unscented skin lotion
Two WTG passes and a little buffing
Not BBS - and a little too much irritstion, it is difficult to whip up a decent lather with the Wilkinson artificial. I need to get myself a badger travel brush

Regards.

Jakob

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Gillette Black Slim Superadjustable
Dollar General Blade
The Body Shop Shave Cream
Thayer's Witch Hazel with aloe
Art of Shaving Sandalwood Aftershave Balm
Halston I-12 cologne

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I bought a Vincent safety razor on eBay and it arrived yesterday. I'd been looking forward to it, as I haven't used a safety razor since I got out of the Navy in '85, and I still have fond memories of smooth, easy shaves. I figured I'd switch back to it because the price of modern cartridges has gone through the roof. shakeshead So, I hop out of the shower, grab my Sandhals shaving cream and badger brush, wetting it in hot water in anticipation of a good old-fashion shave. I worked up a good lather, took the razor out of it's little box...and proceeded to rip my face to shreds! :eek: You know, I looked at it when it arrived, and it didn’t seem to be as well made as the old Gillette I used to have, but I thought to myself: “It’s old technology, how hard could it be to make one of these things?” [huh] Now I know why they called it Vincent; I could have cut my ear off with that thing. :eusa_doh: Granted, it wasn't as bad as my foray into the realm of the straight razor :kick: but, ouch! Well, I'll just have to hunt down a vintage Gillette or a modern precision tool from Germany.

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
KingGillete.jpg

The Gillete razor pictured and since its Christmas One of my meager stash of NOS King Gillete blue blades (other days I use Feather blades) and the new Edward Jager (sp?) brush my wife got me for Christmas to replace the one I've used for many years and Omega shave soap. Very nice shave. :)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
HatMagnet,
Nice Slim Adjustable there. I have one as well, it's a great shaver. What's the date code on the under side of the head on yours?

Tell us a little about that Edwin Jagger brush! What hair? handle style?

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Gillette NEW with a custom Amboyna Burl handle.
Feather Blade
TOBS Mr Taylor

Amboyna%20Burl%20%28Large%29.jpg

This was a present to myself.
I sold my last replated NEW head and the plating shop hasn't finished the last batch so I'm using a head that I damaged when trying to buff the copper cap.

JEEP

Practically Family
60s British Gillette tech w. alu. handle
Gillette swede
Wilkinson badger brush - the old Wilkinson artificial I bought home to my parents didn't work with the AOS soap, luckily my farther had an extra new Wilkinson badger I could snatch
AOS unscented soap
Two WTG passes and a little buffing
Not BBS - but a pleasant shave

Regards.

Jakob

Macheath

One of the Regulars
cooncatbob said:
Gillette NEW with a custom Amboyna Burl handle.
Feather Blade
TOBS Mr Taylor

Amboyna%20Burl%20%28Large%29.jpg

This was a present to myself.
I sold my last replated NEW head and the plating shop hasn't finished the last batch so I'm using a head that I damaged when trying to buff the copper cap.

That thing's a beaut!

JEEP

Practically Family
Beautiful razor Lamplight!

Today; no shave. But I have been doing this:

Hylde01.jpg

A cheap bathroom utility hanger from Ikea, with a piece of thin plastic on the upper shelf for the brushes to stand on.

Not pretty, not at all classy, but it works and keeps my shaving gear in nice order.

The razors are, from the left: Gillette 60's british alu-handeled tech, Merkur HD, Merkur Classic open comb, Swedish Matador De Luxe, German replica Luftwaffe/Yuma, Gillette Old Style, heavily worn no-name open comb

Brushes, from the left: Douglas pure badger, vintage boar travel-brush w. bakelite handle, replica german luftwaffe (boar?) brush w. wooden handle, Wilkinson badger, Wilkinson artificial

The soap bowl is a copy of a medieval (late 14th to early 16th c.) stoneware drinking bowl.

Regards.

Jakob

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Thank you sir. :) It's just a razor made for Classicshaving.com, but I really like it. The great thing about DE razors is that you can get a brand new one that is dirt cheap, yet still nice. :D

BTW, that's a very clever setup you have there! Nice stuff, too.

JEEP

Practically Family
Vintage swedish Matador De Luxe
Gillette swede
Douglas pure badger
AOS unscented soap
Two WTG passes one XTG pass at chin- and jaw area and a little buffing
Not BBS - but ok. A little razorburn and a single cut from the XTG pass, aluminium chloride took care of that

Score111208_04.jpg

Regards.

Jakob

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Skipped yesterday, first day of vacation!
Today, back in the swing with my Gillette Super Adjustable
Derby blade
Nomad soap
Col Conk Pure Badger brush
Avon Slack Suede AS Balm
4 passes, lots of time and an excellent start to the day

JEEP

Practically Family
Yesterday:

Merkur HD
Gillette swede
Douglas pure badger
AOS unscented soap
Aluminium chloride
Organic 98% Aloe Vera gel mixed with unscented skin lotion
Two WTG passes one XTG pass at chin- and jaw area and a little buffing
A friend og mine, who is considering trading his electrical shaver for a DE, asked me if he could watch me shave. He was quite impressed - though I managed to nick my chin twice due to talking while shaving XTG, everything is harder with people looking on.

Today:

Hungover, no shave.

Happy new year!

Regards.

Jakob

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Broke in anew razor today
1961 Slim Adjustable Gillette [G3 date]
Nomad soap
Col Conk Badger Brush
Avon Wild Country AS Balm
4 passes and a super nice shave, this razor is a keeper!

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Got a brush/razor stand via Ebay, and it came with a Gillette Super Speed and an unknown brush that I think is boar hair. I was after the stand, but couldn't help cleaning up the razor and today I used it instead of my usual slim adjustable. I'm thinking of buying a badger knot and trying to replace the hair in the brush.

Col Conk Bay rum soap
Tweezerman badger brush
Pinaud Bay Rum AS
Personna Blade

I used a hot cloth before the shave, and went very slowly since it was an unfamilair razor. One pass WTG and another XTG, with some spot shaving ATG. One cut under the nose, easily taken care of with a styptic pencil. A very good shave, perhaps better than I normaly get with my adjustable (I set it at "4" and leave it there). In fact the burn I usually get from the Pinaud Bay Rum was much milder. Perhaps the older razor suits me better?

JEEP

Practically Family
Merkur HD
Gillette swede
Douglas pure badger
AOS unscented soap
Organic 98% Aloe Vera gel mixed with unscented skin lotion
Four passes: Two WTG and two XTG
A pleasant and smooth shave

SOTD040109.jpg

Regards.