Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

freebird

Practically Family
Rick said:
I'm new and this post is long,
I had a Barber in College that used a Straight... yes a real one.
I miss it and want one.
Not vintage but a modern one is fine.
But where oh where can I find either?
...and a strap.

Try Straight Razor Place, that's where I learned the proper way to strop and shave with a straight. There are guys who also hone and a classified section as well.

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD050209.jpg

This evening:

Prep
Hot shower

Shave
40s Gillette Super Speed
Shaving Shack Israeli blade, first use
Douglas Rein Dachs/Pure Badger
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Four passes: Two WTG and two XTG + some buffing
Nice shave, no nics, no burn. Though some irritation, mostly due to frostbite i believe

Nivea Sensitive AS balm
Unscented lotion

Regards.

Jakob

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Oh Jakob, that is a great picture!
Another trial soap flop, so I said the heck with it and grabbed the Mama Bear's stuff.
58 Gillette Toggle
Derby Blade
Mama Bear's Diogene's Club Soap
Omega Boar Brush
4 passes, lots of time this week, off with a sprained knee
cold rinse
Clubman AS

JEEP

Practically Family

I am really looking forward to doing a SOTD picture with the Merkur "barberpole" 38C (due to arrive tomorrow), Mitchell's Wool Fat and my Blindes Arbejde brush.

I like playing around with my camera.

Regards.

Jakob

Rick

New in Town
ebay razors

Holy cow! It's take me a month to get throught the razors ending today!
Does it have to say stainless to be stainless?
Plenty from Stolingen but none yet I've seen say SS.
Are any brands of particular quality?
Red pont or something?
I remember my barber saying he preferred Italian made.

dnjan

One Too Many
If it doesn't say stainless, it will probably be a high-carbon steel. Still excellent metal (and some will claim that the high-carbon non-stainless will hold an edge better than the stainless which also contains some carbon), but you have to be much more careful to make sure it is completely dry before you put it away. Personally, I think the reason I can go much longer between sharpenings (just using the jewelers rouge strop daily) is that I use stainless.

I have never used an Italian straight razor, so I don't know about them. But if the blade says Solingen, it will be German steel made in that town (and possibly with the handle added elsewhere.

Edit - Wow! I just looked at a few, and there are lots of nice razors available. I would guess that "silver steel" is equivalent to stainless. Side-by-side, it is possible to notice a slight difference in color between high-carbon steel and stainless. Stainless will be just a bit lighter colored. So I am guessing that is a reason for using the term "silver steel".

Straights

Stainless is more difficult to sharpen but will hold a shave sharp edge longer. High Carbon sharpens easier and will take an edge quicker but get dull quicker too. HC will rust if left damp so it needs to be wiped dry and some keep it in another room away from dampness others use stuff like camelia oil to keep them from rusting.

It's a matter of sharpening and shaving to see what fits you best.

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD070209.jpg

This morning:

Prep
Hot shower

Shave
Merkur "barberpole" 38C
Shaving Shack Israeli blade, second use - Hmmmm, these blades only seem to give one good shave
Blindes arbejde Pure Badger
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Four passes: Two WTG and two XTG
Ok shave; quite close, no nics, a little burn - but more irritation than I had expected

Nivea Sensitive AS balm
Unscented lotion

Regards.

Jakob

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Okay, time I got a good razor.

I grabbed a Gillette safety razor that we had in the house (it belonged to my father) out of sheer frustration when I had run out of usable Fusion blades and I couldn't see dashing to the local mini-mart in my robe to shell out $4 for a %*@!! cartridge, and I couldn't find my Braun electric.

I used the single blade that was still in the razor after dunking it in rubbing alcohol :eusa_doh:, my usual shaving cream (Edge, not bad for goo in a can) and my cartridge technique (no prep and press hard, dammit!) and somehow survived the ordeal with a sort of presentable shave and only a couple of minor injuries.

I figured there had to be some info on how to do it right on the Internet, and I was surprised to find the wealth of information on wet shaving.

I now own a humble three safety razors - Dad's Slim Adjustable, a "New" that came with a stand I Ebayed for, and an aluminum Tech that came with a travel kit, also via Ebay. I've tried three or four soaps and a couple creams, a couple of different brands of blades, and a few aftershaves, balms and colognes.

Throw in the $2 shaving bowl, an old spice mug (Dad's, again), a Fuller Brush mug and a VDH boar brush, a Tweezerman badger, some talc, some witch hazel, a styptic pencil or two, a place to put them in (painted rolltop breadbox) and here I am. Almost all this stuff was bargain priced, sitting around or received as gifts.

Yes, the shaves are much, much better, but the real payoff is what used to be a mindless and irksome daily chore is now something I really look forward to! As a bonus, even with my very modest collection of gear accounted for, I still could spend about another $100 before I'll equal the amount I was shelling out for cartridges and canned lather in a year, and I'm having a great time acquiring stuff and using it.

In other words, Matt, go for it!

SOTD (Shave of the Night, really):

Prep:
Hot washcloth

Gear:
Dad's Slim
C.O. Bigelow cream, really house branded Proraso
Tweezerman brush
New Dorco ST-300 blade

Three passes, WTG, ATG, XTG. Spent several minutes touching up after the last pass

Clubman Bay Rum

A delightful, lazy shave, took my time and listened to Ol' Blue Eyes croon while I whacked the whiskers. Between DFS and BBS, and only one tiny weeper.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Matt, if you decide to get into this, let me know. I am always prowling antique malls for razors and will find you a good one.
Today was nice, slow morning with just me and the cat up.
58 Gillette Toggle
Derby Blade
Col Conk Badger Brush
Mama Bear's Soap
4 passes, bumped it up a notch on the dial and a very smooth shave
Aqua Velva Musk AS
Got the coffee going, starting out a nice day.

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD090209.jpg

This morning:

Prep
Hot shower

Shave
Merkur "barberpole" 38C
Derby Extra, first use
Douglas Reind Dachs/Pure Badger
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Four passes: Two WTG and two XTG + a little buffing
DFS. A wee nic at my lower lip for not paying attention. Strange irritation all over face again- maybe it is not the blade anyway - time to try a new ASB

Aluminium Chloride
Nivea Sensitive AS balm - I think I am allergic to something in this stuff, it gives me "burn" and irritation in parts of my untouched by the razors. Proraso ASB ordered, should arrive tomorrow
Unscented lotion

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD110209.jpg

This morning:

Prep
Hot shower

Shave
Merkur "barberpole" 38C
Derby Extra, second use
Mitchell's Wool Fat - tried Mantics "upside down" trick, it works!
DFS

Proraso ASB. I can't believe that people say that this is the same as Nivea Sensitive(?!), this stuff is quality, Nivea IMHO isn't
Unscented lotion

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Have everyone suddenly decided to grow a beard?

SOTD130209.jpg

This morning:

Prep
Hot shower

Shave
Merkur "barberpole" 38C
Derby Extra, third/last use
Mitchell's Wool Fat
DFS

Proraso ASB

Regards.

Jakob

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Uh oh. I was reading a thread on a shaving forum about cleaning up old razors, and I saw some beaters on Ebay. :rolleyes:

Then, I stopped at second hand shop to kill some time on my way home from work, and when I was getting ready to leave I saw a shoebox labeled "Razors"...and they were all priced at a few bucks each.:eusa_doh:

My small collection of three is now ten. :eek: How'd that happen? I'm thinking of going back for the rest....this is a bad trend. Matt, you still want a razor?

Prep: Hot washcloth over lathered face for two minutes

Gear: Gillette late '40s Super Speed
Dorco ST-300 (second shave)
VDH Soap
Tweezerman Brush

Three passes, WTG - XTG - ATG and some ATG touch up. No nicks or cuts, and got a DFS that could have been BBS with some more touch up or another pass. I'll save that for Saturday morning. I really like the Super Speed, and now I've got a '66 Flare Tip and a '68 Black Handle also.

Burt's Bees Bay Rum AS Balm
Clubman Talc

freebird

Practically Family
yesterday evening:

Loom Strop
5/8 Barclay Bros. square point
Prorasso cream
Alum block
Old Spice a/s

2 passes, near bbs

Forum statistics