Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

freebird

Practically Family
Shavemac pure badger brush
vintage scuttle (I find that TGQ's sample size shaving soap works perfectly in this one)
TGQ Cavendish Black
C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum a/s balm (not needed, but used anyway)
Black Bear brand strop -15 passes-post shave
8/8 Hamburg Ring (first shave with this razor, and also first time shaving with a blade this size)

3 passes, BBS
a nice coat of baby oil to prevent any spotting.

This razor shaves like a champ. Also found out why they call it a Hamburg Ring", the sound while stropping (didn't pre-strop) is a wonderful ringing sound.

sotd6-7-08009.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Nice set-up 'Bird!

For me today:
Lightweight Super Speed
Derby (needed to be changed really :(, tomorrow! )
Vermont Country Store Pure Badger
The Body Shop Shave Cream
EarthScience After Shave Splash
Pleasures for Men After Shave Balm
Pleasures for Men Cologne

freebird

Practically Family
B. Altmans & C o. Pure Badger brush
Black Bear brand strop
Wade & Butcher barber point
Geo. F. Trumper Coconut Oil Soap
vintage shaving mug
C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum A/S balm
3 passes, bbs

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I almost forgot!

Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Fresh Derby Blade
Art of Shaving Best Badger
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shave Cream
Thayer's Witch Hazel
Art of Shaving Sandalwood Aftershave Balm
Halston I-12 Cologne

shortbow

Practically Family
Heavy barber pole Merkur
Badger brush of disremembered lineage
Derby blades
Williams soap
Mucho antique shaving mug
Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal

Pretty pedestrian setup I know, but as an anarcho/syndicalist working type guy, gotta leave the high quality stuff to you Aristos.lol

freebird

Practically Family
shortbow said:
Heavy barber pole Merkur
Badger brush of disremembered lineage
Derby blades
Williams soap
Mucho antique shaving mug
Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal

Pretty pedestrian setup I know, but as an anarcho/syndicalist working type guy, gotta leave the high quality stuff to you Aristos.lol

If you only knew.....I'm a poor slob who isn't able to work, and still tryng to get my disability upon Dr's advice. Two of my razors were won in a drawing, the rest were picked up on ebay and sent out for a hone job. Much cheaper using a straight, than paying 15.00 for 4 disposable blades that will eventually get tossed in a landfill. (Plus it's cool to use something that old)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
This Morning:
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Derby Blade
Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum Shave Cream
EarthScience After Shave Splash
Burt's Bees Bay Rum After Shave Balm
C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Cologne

shortbow

Practically Family
Freebird, notice I said working TYPE. I too am acquainted with the disability thing, I feel for you and wish you the best.

As to straight razors, I tried one. It soon became apparent that death by a thousand cuts was a real possibility, so I decamped. As to blades, I use the Derby brand, and they are dirt cheap and really good. I think they come from the Czech Republic. I find them way better than the Wilkinson et. al.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
shortbow said:

I wouldn't say my setup is all that glamorous! I use one or two different razors, tho I do have several creams/soaps and brushes to choose from (tho I use one of 2 brushes almost every day), I have only a modest amount of $ tied up in my shaving gear. I feel that as Freebird mentioned, the savings in overpriced cartrige razors and/or fancy-schmancy electric razors vs. multiple razors/brushes/creams, I'm STILL ahead of the game!

freebird

Practically Family
I also am on a few shaving forums, and if one watches you can pick up some deals on some creams/soaps or after shave balms that someone just didn't cotton to. As a matter of fact, my C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum a/s balm, was one such purchase, the gentleman didn't care for it as it was too strong for him. I absolutely love it, and have yet to have a complaint about it's beng too strong.

freebird

Practically Family
shortbow said:
Freebird, notice I said working TYPE. I too am acquainted with the disability thing, I feel for you and wish you the best.

As to straight razors, I tried one. It soon became apparent that death by a thousand cuts was a real possibility, so I decamped. As to blades, I use the Derby brand, and they are dirt cheap and really good. I think they come from the Czech Republic. I find them way better than the Wilkinson et. al.

lol I can see that. Did you have a professionally honed razor to start with? That helps. Also, start out slow, just remember no lateral movements when the blade is on the face, and the right angle always helps as well. If you're still up for giving it a go, straight razor place is a good place to learn the ins and outs of straight razor shaving.

shortbow

Practically Family
I hate to admit defeat, but methinks I shall have to stick to a safety razor. I am a cold steel aficionado so I gave it a good try, complete with visiting how-to sights and getting a lesson from an old barber, but for me this one of those 'discretion is the better part of valor' things. Still, never say never.

freebird

Practically Family
shortbow said:
I hate to admit defeat, but methinks I shall have to stick to a safety razor. I am a cold steel aficionado so I gave it a good try, complete with visiting how-to sights and getting a lesson from an old barber, but for me this one of those 'discretion is the better part of valor' things. Still, never say never.

I wouldnt' give up. I was fortunate, didn't hack off my ear or anything, and with a van dyke, I don't have to worry about my lip or chin. If a one eyed fat man can do it, anyone can lol. (No, that's not how I lost the eye, although, I have had some folks ask):eek:

freebird

Practically Family
vintage scuttle-mug
Shavemac pure badger brush
Challenge Cutlery 5/8 round-point
Black Bear brand strop
Truefitt & Hill Grafton shaving cream
Truefitt & Hill Grafton a/s balm

later: Truefitt & Hill Grafton cologne.

Today is special, finally getting out of the house (the last time was mid November). Some of my friends from another board are meeting at a restaurant in town to talk straight razors, and enjoy dinner out with their families.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Awesome freebird! Go out and socialize man!! :eusa_clap

Todays Shave:
Super Speed Flare Tip
Derby
Taylor of Old Bond Street St. James Shave Cream
Thayer's Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm
J. Peterman 1903 Cologne

rikrdo

A-List Customer
arent there anymore real wet shavers around here ????

Wilkinson "Sticky" razor + Feather blade
ShaveMac custom brush
Caswell & Massey 1752 Sandalwood hard soap
St Charles Shave Shea Butter and Avocado Oil cream (cause the CM soap sucks so much)
Michelsons BayRum After Shave splash
EM's place BayRum ASB

freebird

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Awesome freebird! Go out and socialize man!! :eusa_clap

Todays Shave:
Super Speed Flare Tip
Derby
Taylor of Old Bond Street St. James Shave Cream
Thayer's Witch Hazel
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm
J. Peterman 1903 Cologne

Unfortunately it fell through at the last moment. One of the fellows I was to meet broke down and we decided to put it off until all could be there. Maybe tonight, maybe next week.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Todays' selections:

Super Speed Flare Tip
Derby
Valobra Shave Stick
Thayer's Witch Hazel
The Body Shop Kistna After Shave Balm
Davidoff Good Life Cologne

Forum statistics

Threads