Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

JEEP

Practically Family
I got a gold US Aristocrat in box today :)

Crappy post-clean pics:

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_preclean_02.jpg

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_preclean_01.jpg

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_preclean_03.jpg

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_preclean_04.jpg

Slightly better post-clean pics:

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_postclean_01.jpg

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_postclean_04.jpg

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_postclean_02.jpg

Gillette_Aristocrat_01_postclean_03.jpg

The plating on the razor is about 85% intact, with the plating almost stripped from one of the silo doors. The interior of the box is in a rather sad state, but the exterior and the blade box, containing Thin and "Camo" Gillette blades, cleaned up nicely.

I am very much looking forward to shaving with this one.

Regards.

Jakob

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
A Silly Question

As some of you may know, I’m usually in the habit of shaving with an old GEM Micromatic and C.O. Bigelow shaving cream - I haven’t posted here in some time because, well, the routine rarely changes.

The other day I was at a garage sale and happened on a few old Gillette Double Edge razors and a few packages of Atlantic Steel blades. I’ve long wanted to try a vintage Gillette DE, as they’re supposed to be quite nice, and the price was definitely right: I think I paid a dollar for the razor and the blades were free.

Well, after a good cleaning and a boil, the next morning I fitted my vintage blade to my vintage razor and attacked my 48 hours of stubble. But I couldn’t do it! No matter which way I held the razor (handle at 90° to face or handle parallel to face), I felt like I was scraping my cheeks with a piece of broken glass, and I didn’t seem to be cutting hairs at all.

Any clues as to what’s going wrong? Is it the blades, perchance? I’ve thoroughly mastered my old SE Micromatic, but the supposedly easier DE Gillette has me baffled!

-Dave

Dull from oxygen.

David Conwill said:
No matter which way I held the razor (handle at 90° to face or handle parallel to face), I felt like I was scraping my cheeks with a piece of broken glass, and I didn’t seem to be cutting hairs at all.

Any clues as to what’s going wrong? Is it the blades, perchance? I’ve thoroughly mastered my old SE Micromatic, but the supposedly easier DE Gillette has me baffled! -Dave

The edge of the blade can deteriorate over time, literally oxidizes to dull. I doubt it was the fault of the holder but more of the blades.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
The edge of the blade can deteriorate over time, literally oxidizes to dull. I doubt it was the fault of the holder but more of the blades.

I rather suspected it might be the blades, but then I've met people who swear by deadstock old ones, so I thought I'd give them a try. Next time I'm at the drug store, I'll see if they have my brand in Treet.

Thanks John.

-Dave

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD070509.jpg

This morning, birthday shave and first shave with an Aristocrat:

Gillette Aristocrat w. Derby Extra (1)
The Shaving Shack "Shogun" onyx handle super badger
Musgo Real SC
Unscented Thayer's Witch Hazel
Musgo Real ASB

Regards.

Jakob

Bert

New in Town
Bonjour à tous

Today's shave :

PREP : Hot shower / Nivea cream (I can't wait to use Proraso Pre/post when i'll arrive in Canada - we can't find it here in France)

SHAVE : My brand new HJ Thäter pure badger brush / Merkur Progress / Merkur blade / Proraso cream

POST : Weleda AS balm (weleda is a typical european organic brand...Does anyone uses this ?)

RESULT : 4 passes WTG XTG ATG + J hooking / BBS !

Amicalement, Bertrand, France.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Bert said:
Bonjour à tous

Today's shave :

POST : Weleda AS balm (weleda is a typical european organic brand...Does anyone uses this ?)

Amicalement, Bertrand, France.

I've used the Weleda Shave Cream and liked the results. My wife is a CMT so I have used the Arnica, Rose, Citrus and Lavender massage oils but not as a moisturizer. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
Happy Birthday Jakob.
Tom D.

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD080509.jpg

This morning:

Ball-end Gillette NEW w. Derby Extra (4)
Omega Prof. 10098
Mama Bear's Aged Spice SS
Family Dollar Spice AS

Regards.

Jakob

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Jakob, happy birthday! I feel compelled to point out that I have soaps older than you...;)

Tonight:

40's SS
Dorco ST301
DeLong Badger brush
VDH Deluxe soap

I went with my standard pre shave - warm water wash with Palmer's olive oil soap, then more Palmers applied to the beard and left on. Made my lather and brushed it on, then took two minutes to brush my fangs. Refreshed the lather and did my WTG pass.

On a whim, I splashed on some Florida Water, then relathered for the second XTG pass. ATG pass with some touch up and the results were outstanding.

Finished with a cold water rinse, then Witch Hazel and some Aqua Velva.

I think I could pretty much shave with a 40's SuperSpeed every day. I enjoy using other razors, but if I want a great shave my top three are the Red Tip SS, the 40's SS and the 1942 Schick Injector.

JEEP

Practically Family
Got another razor in the mail today:

The box, which is in a rather poor condition, is clearly a mis-match:

Brit_Gillette_Box_01_01.jpg

Brit_Gillette_Box_01_02.jpg

Does anybody know which razor actually belong in this case?

The razor is a 50s British made Parat for the German market, pat. no. 694093, the end knob is the same diameter as the handle, making it a Parat not a Rocket.

Brit_Gillette_Parat_01_01.jpg

Brit_Gillette_Parat_01_02.jpg

Overall condition is nice; only a few minor scratches on the silo doors an a small patch of brassing above the end knob.

It is heavier and seems sturdier than my US 40s Super Speed. Does any one knows how it compares as a shaver?

I am going to shave with it this evening.

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD100509.jpg

This evening:

50s Brit. made Gillette Parat w. Derby Extra (2)
Omega 10098 Prof. boar
Norpro dip chiller/scuttle
Indian Palmolive Refreshing Lemon SC
Yellow Italian Floïd AS

The parat is a nice shaver, it is much like my 40s SS, though slightly more agressive - though still too mild for my taste. Like my SS it will make a nice travel or "in a hurry" razor.

Regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart