Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

Michaelshane

One Too Many
New stuff to try tomorrow....:)

P1050449.jpg
[/IMG]

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I think that is a new deluxe.I was going to sell it,until I used it this morning....What a great shaver!

New deluxe,with Derby
Caswell-Massey travel brush
Col Conk lime
Royall Lyme

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD021109.jpg

Time for something non B&W...

Monday morning:

Bull Mastiff (NEW head) w. Derby Extra (2)
B&B Essential
Williams Mug Soap in Old Spice Mug
Ivy Club (Old) Spice AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

cooncatbob

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Great looking razor Michaelshane.
I just can't get on with open comb razors for some reason...

You might want to try a Gillette NEW with long Combs.
The long turned over combs makes finding and maintaining proper blade angle much easier then the Old Type and short comb NEW.
Also many opened combed razors are very picky on which blades they prefer and will give a lousy harsh shave with blades they don't like.

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD041109.jpg

Wednesday morning:

Brit. Gillette NEW w. Derby Extra (3)
Laminated bone handle silvertip
Tabac SS
Tabac AS
Thayer's Witch Hazels

Regards.

Jakob

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Howdy gents, it is with great pleasure that I can ad something interesting and fun to this thread.

For a few years I was an electric man, now I've discovered the joy of using a real razor and such.

I keep it pretty old fashioned, aside from the Barbasol I use in a can... lol but, it is Barbasol!

I use a 1934 GEM razor that I purchased off of eBay years ago. Came in the original silver and black box, also had the "National Recovery Act" logo on the box.

Also, I have bought a few vintage barber's bottles to keep my Witchhazel or a light green astringent in... my favorite aftershave.

Then, at the PCC flea market, I picked up a number of these original PAL blades:

101_1235255545A.jpg

Just one sided razor blades that fit right into the GEM nicely. Only cost me a buck a box!

It's interesting to use an antique blade... you open the box, unwrap one of the blades and then there ya go, you're shaving with a good razor that hasn't ever been used in 60+ years! lol

Thought I'd share.:D

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Last shave until pitchers and catchers report for the 2010 season.
Gillette pictured
Derby extra
One earth shaving oil
E Shave Cucumber SC
Dickinson Witch Hazel
E Shave Cucumber AS cream
Col. Conk Badger
CIMG0983-1.jpg

MisterA

New in Town
Preparation: Piano Concerto No. 21 in C, 2nd movement (Elvira Madigan) and a few sips of my favourite Whiskey

Razor: Joseph Rodgers & Sons

Strop: Jemico

Brush: Colonel Conk Travel brush (..or the "Wee Yank" as I call it. It's small but still does the job very well. )

Soap: Sapone da Barba (Italian Barber soap)

AS: Lucky Tiger After shave & Face tonic

Result: BBS except for a couple of small areas I have a hard time getting at - Skin a little sore after the shave. It was the first time I tried the soap.. (Just got it from rasurpur.de) I have a little sensitive skin and I found the soap didn't do as much for my skin as f.ex. Proraso does, but it really helped the razor glide through my 2-day stubble.. Maybe even better than when I use the Proraso Pre-shave before slapping on the Proraso shaving cream. I recommend it if you don't have too sensitive skin.

00sotd.JPG

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD071109.jpg

Saturday morning:

Gillette Slim Adjustable w. Derby Extra (4)
23 mm. Shavemac silvertip
Speick SS
Speick AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD081109.jpg

Sunday morning, just a quick snapshot from visiting my parent's at Fuen:

Merkur travel razor w. Derby Extra (1)
Vulfix boar travel brush
Cella SS
Pitralon Classic AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Regards.

Jakob

MisterA

New in Town
Yesterday..

To get in the mood: Glen Miller at the Cafe Rouge (http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/bigbands.htm) and a large glass of Frydenlund Fatøl -Norwegian Beer (By the way, I only shave in the evenings not in the morning. )

Prep: Lucky Tiger Face Scrub + Proraso PRE shave cream

Brush: Bonds of Oxford Street - Super Badger Travel Brush

Soap: Colonel Conk Lime

Razor: Yahatamaru - Vintage Japanese straight
AS: Proraso AS + Lucky Tiger Mustache Wax

Result: BEST shave I have ever had. My first time with a Japanese Straight and I have never had a closer shave EVER. (In my less than impressive 3-4 months of Straight razor shaving I should add.. he,he.. ) I just got this today.. Bought it from OLD_SCHOOL from SRP (a straight razor shaving forum) and as I shave my head I couldn't do a HHT so I took a hair froom my Zebra hide rug, and it did cut it after a couple of tries so I concluded it was more than sharp enough. I did not strop it prior to shaving, just cleaned it a bit in HOT water and wiped it off with a towel. I can not believe how easy it was to shave with this compared to my western straights. I tried to use only one side at first, but deciced to try the other side as well as I couldn't get to the difficult spots only using the "correct" side. This not only let me easily shave those hard to get spots but I also FINALLY managed to easily shave those very difficult areas around my jaw that I have never managed to get completely smooth with any other razor. I use only my left hand though.. I guess I should mention that. I would also like to add, I used less time on my 1st ever shave with a Japanese Straight than I ever have with a western razor. I did WTG and ATG. No need to go XTG as My face was already extremely smooth after the WTG..

foqjgk.jpg

MisterA

New in Town
Music: Java's Bachelor Pad (http://www.javasbachelorpad.com/radio.html)

Brush: Colonel Conk Travel Brush

Soap: Edwin Jagger - Aloe Vera

Razor: Brookes & Crookes (Part of a 2 razor set in case I bought on ebay for $35.. The razors were surprisingly in perfect condition.. Even oiled. No rust no chips, scales good as new. Close to 'shave ready'. I just cleaned them, stropped them and shaved with one of them. Will try the other one tomorrow.) P.S. That is not a big chip in the blade you see on the picture, it is just the flash..

AS: L'Occitane CADE after shave balm + Smith's Rosebud Salve for a little nick on the chin where I managed to cut myself. And of course a little Lucky Tiger Mustache Wax for my 'Fu Manchu'.

zweq2g.jpg

Edit:

After an hour or so my skin is a little sore, so I guess the razor is a little dull.. But a few laps on a pasted strop should fix that.

Update on my shave with the Japanese razor. While I got a really smooth bbs with it and I found it very easy to use, I discovered today that my beard grew back quicker than when I use a western SR. Maybe it was because I didn't go WTG,XTG,ATG like I do with western SRs.. I just went WTG and ATG.

MisterA

New in Town
Razor: ERN - Crown & Sword

Strop: Thiers-Issard Paddle strop

Brush: Bonds of Oxford st. - Travel brush

Soap: Edwin Jagger - Aloe Vera

AS: Penhaligon - Blenheim Bouquet

k4jnfb.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
Having been too busy to post a proper SOTD pic. for the last few shaves, I thought I would test out my new Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro objective by posting a double SOTD:

SOTD13_151109.jpg

Friday morning:

Merkur Progress w. Derby Extra (2)
23 mm. Shavemac silvertip
Mitchell's Wool Fat SS
Proraso AS
Thayer's Witch Hazel

Saturday morning:

Brit. Gillette Tech w. Derby Extra (3)
Semogue boar
Tabac SS
Pinaud Clubman AS