Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Saint Charles

HOT Shower;)
Merkur Futur
Derby Blade
Kent BLK4
SCS Smoke and Beads
standard 3 passes
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
New Spice Eau De Toilette

DeaconKC

One Too Many
slow morning shave

Ah, working late tonight, so slept in today. Leisurely shave after the shower
61 Fatboy
fresh IP Blue blade
Col Conks Almond
3 passes and a buff
Clubman AS
ahhh

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
feelng a bit more vintage

1912 Gem Junior
SE no name blade <--- looking for better
Savile Row 3118
Provence Sante` soap
standard 3 passes
Aqua Velva
Hoyte's Cologne

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Gilette Slim Adjustable
Dollar General Blade
Kent BK4
Fraser's Shave Cream
Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm
Tommy Cologne

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
almost forgot

COLD Shower as my daughter decided to use all the hot water
1964 Gillette Adjustable
Derby Blade
Kent BLK4
Speick Shaving Creme
standard 3 passes
Speick Aftershave
Burberry for Men

Lonn

Familiar Face
Hollywood Shower

Staying in a Thousand Trails park this weekend so there is plenty of hot running water available.

Hollywood shower
Vintage travel Gillette
Ivory Soap
Fresh, no name blade
Home made Bay Rum

No mirror and a fresh blade in a razor with a short little handle. A little blood and a little extra sting from the Bay Rum. I will try to post pics of this razor. The German leather case measures 2 3/8" x 1 7/8" x 9/16". Found it in an Antique store somewhere for $5 if I remember correctly. Could not leave it there.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Hot water today

1964 Gillette Adjustable
Derby Blade
Kent BLK4
Clubman Shaving Creme <--trial
standard 3 passes
Pinaud Clubman LILAC VEGETAL

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
1964 Gillette Adjustable
Derby Blade
Savile Row 3118
QED B&B Soap
standard 3 passes
Aqua Velva
SCS Aspect Eau de Toilette

DeaconKC

One Too Many
1920s Ball Handled New Gillette Razor
Derby Extra blade
Vintage Erskine Badger brush
Superlather with Mama Bears Hydrogen and Bigelow cream
Aqua Velva Musk AS
3 passes with a very aggressive razor, not quite BBS but pretty good!

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
1939 Gillette Gold Tech Heavy Handle
Derby Blade
Savile Row 3118
MWF Soap
standard 3 passes
Burt's Bees
SCS New Spice Eau de Toilette

DeaconKC

One Too Many
This week has been different as I am trying out some "home-made" soap. It hasn't been too bad, okay shaves, but I am missing my Col. Conk's.
Today
"X-1" soap
HOT towel to face
Derby Blade
Fatboy
Clubman AS
A very good shave , 3 passes, not quite BBS, but a good one!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Gillette Super Speed (K4)
Taylors of Old Bond Street Avocado Shave Cream
Art of Shaving Badger Brush
Thayer's With Hazel with Aloe
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm
Dunhill Desire Cologne

JEEP

Practically Family
I have recently bought a Merkur crome saftey razor; http://www.thegoodstuffshop.dk/product.asp?product=19253

Modern razors, like the Gilette March 3, doesn't shave close enough for me, so I opted for something more "effective". So far the Mekur is doing a good job, though I am still getting some razorburn, in stead of having stubbels 2-3 hours after shaving I can now go for an entire workday without looking like I haven't shaved for a week. My farther has the same problem, in the danish airforce he was ordered to shave twice a day by his superior officers.

I am using the standard Palmolive palm oil shaving soap- but I am considering trying the Gold Dachs soap; http://www.thegoodstuffshop.dk/product.asp?product=19259 Does anyone have any experience with that?

Should I stick to the Merkur blades or are there better blades to be found on the market?

Regards.

Jakob

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Jakob,
Good to see you in here!

The Merkur blades do not play well with everyone's face. I have seen some micron microscope photos of the edges of several blades, and the Merkurs look like the surface of the moon almost. You may want to try corking a Merkur blade and see if that gives you any relief. I'm a fan of the blades made by Derby, and Personna blades also work well for me personally.
Also, be sure that you are letting the weight of the metal razor do the cutting. Many people, especially after years of using the multi-blade gadgets, develop a habit of pressing on the razor to get it to follow facial features and cut the whisker. That will definitely get you some razor burn! A good quality toner or after shave splash is also highly recommended. Look for witch hazel if you can find it. Thayer's is the brand that I use, great stuff!

whew, sorry for the dissertation!

Oh, Gold Dachs, I've not used it, but heard good things at www.badgerandblade.com about it.

Regards,
The Daddy

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Hi Jakob! Yup, the Merkur blades have the reputation as somewhat rough. I like the Derby's a lot, also the Gillette blades made in Sweden have an excellent report. Try some other shave soaps or creams, Proraso/Omega shave cream is excellent, one of my favorites.

JEEP

Practically Family
Thank you for the answers gentlemen.

Rmdaddy:

I will try to ease the preassure on the blade. I think you are quite right about the habit of applying too much preassure still hangs on from the modern shaver.

What does the term "corking" a blade cover?

DeakonKC:

I will try to get my hands on some Gilette blades. These should, as far as I remenber, be redily available here in Denmark. Are there more than one kind - or are all of them the Swedish kind of which you speak?

As to soaps and toners; unfortunally my girlfriend is highly allergic to perfume, so I will have to search out some that does not contain perfume. Any suggestions?

I usually wear a short cut beard, so I usually only shave my lover chin. But having lost quite a few pounds I am considering loosing the beard as it is no longer "necessary" to cover my, now almost nonexistant, double chin :) Maybe I will keep the sideburns and moustache.

Regards.

Jakob

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Jakob,
Corking a blade is exactly as it sounds. Take a blade, and run each edge through a regular wine cork. Just slide the very edge of the blade through the surface of the cork, cutting into the cork just slightly. This process can remove small burrs and irregularities from the edges and make it shave a little smoother.
Also, Thayer's witch hazel is available without fragrances, it has a little scent when applied, but no residual aroma once dry. I'd imagine that all witch hazel products are similar, so you could find one in your country that would work as well (I hope!). There are definitely other products (splashes and/or balms) out there that are unscented or perfume free.

Good Shaving!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Hi Jakob, if the Nivea line is available over there, check out their AS balms. Very lightly scented [hopefully your GF can tolerate them] and excellent for your face. As far as the Gillette blades they should be marked on the package "made in Sweden" . The Proraso cream has a rather menthol scent, but fades quickly. Good luck! If you drop in at badgerandblade say hi!

JEEP

Practically Family
I tried corking a fresh blade this morning - and to ease the preassure on the blade. It worked. I still got some razorburn, but that was mainly due to me getting too eager on the third pass.

Nivea is available in Denmark, I will try looking up some AS balm from them.

I do not think that Thayer's witch hazel is available in Denmark, bit I will definetly look for it.

Thank you for the excellent advice so far, it is much apriciated.

Funny how this place can make everyday things, like shaving, exiting and something that one looks forward to :)

High regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24