Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving, blood and white dress shirts

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There's also www.straightrazorplace.com

They're the two most respected shaving forums that you can find.

On YouTube, look for Mantic59 and GeoFatBoy. I learnt everything I know about shaving (apart from how to use a straight razor), from Mantic.

I learnt how to use a straight-razor purely by trial and error.

It's amazing I'm still alive.

Edward

Bartender
Taking the time to do three passes helps a lot, I find - with, across, then finally against the grain. Cold water afterwards, then cold water and rub an alum block right over the lot. Pat dry. I cut my head with a modern, cartridge razor more often than I do my face with a safety razor. Wish I could use the latter on my head, but can't get the angle.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, a lot of good advice in here and duly noted.

While my beard is not a quick grower, it is thick meaning the hair shafts are thick. I've never been able to shave everyday, as that leaves a lot of irritation. I use a Merkur shaver with the dimestore DE razors and Noxzema medicated Aloe shave cream. I used to just shave with a BIC disposable and soap but in the past two years or so, I started taking more of an interest. Anyways, I usually have to do 3 passes, down, up, and sideways to get a clean shave. The problems only arise on my neck where the hair seems to change directions depending on location and comes out of the skin at funny angles. I've been told using some sort of lotion on my neck could help this but I'm clueless about that stuff.

I tried putting on a tie today without flipping the collar. I still had to flip to collar up to adjust becuase the tie was showing in the back:eek: I need more practice.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If you're shaving with a D.E. safety-razor, I strongly suggest watching Mantic59's YouTube videos.

He doesn't know much about straight-razors (he doesn't use them), but he is an indispensable source of advice and information for shaving successfully with a double-edge razor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy