Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shaving query

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Dave,
Depending on the source of the blades, they may be bad-to-God-awful. Try corking or hand stropping the balde for your next attempt. Some "generic" store DE blades feel like shaving with jagged broken glass, this I know first hand.:eek: :eek:

Chet

New in Town
Hello Dave,
You may want to consider getting a wall mounted, swivel arm, magnified mirror. I have mine mounted next to my bathroom mirror and find it has made shaving with a DE razor easier and more effective (miss less spots). 5x or 7x should be sufficient though if necessary, based on your eye sight, you can go up to 10x. Check them out at a retailer to see which suits you best.
Regards,
Chet

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm finding that I can judge by sound when I'm killing whiskers and when I'm not, then I can go by feel and see what I missed. I'm learning quicker than I might have feared. The only issue is that now I want more brushes, more kinds of soap, more razors. Mine is a 1954 Gillette Superspeed TTO, as it's turning out.

cptjeff

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Dave,
Depending on the source of the blades, they may be bad-to-God-awful. Try corking or hand stropping the balde for your next attempt. Some "generic" store DE blades feel like shaving with jagged broken glass, this I know first hand.:eek: :eek:
Modern ones or vintage ones? The modern generics I use feel fine to my uneducated skin.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
Modern ones or vintage ones? The modern generics I use feel fine to my uneducated skin.

Jeff,
An example:New Merkur DE razor blades feel, to me, like saving with a strand of barbed wire. They are brand new, wrapped and sealed, and utterly useless for my skin.

Like anything else, YOUR opinion is the only one that matters. If what you use works for you...:eusa_clap

cptjeff

Practically Family
davestlouis said:
I suppose if you've never used Charmin, cheap TP feels OK too:rolleyes:

That's the effect I'm afraid of...I have a feeling I'll become obsessed and never be able to finish a pack of blades.

Chainsaw

Suspended
A "lay Monk" named Ah-bao that I be-friended at a Buddhist temple, had the best saying. I had, had to clip his hair one day, and as he passed his hand over it, he said, "I wise Monk once said, let your hand be your mirror."

On another note, I recently bought a Merker Mustache trimmer and it seems to leave a lot of abrasions. Any wisdom?

Edit... Oh! There's a trick I remember for the straight razor if anyone needs it. You simply apply shaving creme to a ballon, and practice that way. If the ballon pops, then you've made a cut.

davestlouis

Practically Family
My barber mentioned the balloon trick years ago. I'm not ready to take the step to a straight razor, probably never will. I did find a vintage shaving kit on craigslist this morning, with several brushes and soap cups...the obsession starts here.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Picked up a cool leather shaving kit today...tan cowhide embossed with an elephant grain, plaid lining, zipper closure. It has 2 shaving brushes, 2 shoe brushes, and 2 metal tubes that I'm not quite sure what they do. I traded some Craftsman 1/4 inch drive sockets for it from a craigslist ad today.
One of the shaving brushes has a blonde wood handle, the other has a hard plastic handle, and reads CENTURY SET IN RUBBER STERILIZED MADE IN USA PURE BRISTLE on the handle.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Good grief, I just spent 30 minutes cleaning up a 1953 Gilette SuperSpeed that I bought at an antique mall. I think I may need to devise a rack of some sort to hold all the safety razors and brushes...they will accumulate quickly, I suspect.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Today a 1960s era Schick Krono followed me home from the local St. Vincent de Paul store, for $8. I'm getting better and better with the shaves, I rarely cut myself and if I bother to take the time, I get a great, smooth shave.

Feraud

Bartender
davestlouis said:
When you shave with a DE razor, do you do it by sight or feel?

An interesting question... mostly by feel I guess with some sight thrown in to make sure I don't take off a nose or earlobe.

If you are new to shaving with a DE razor you will need to learn proper basic form and get to know how best to shave your face. All faces are different and require slightly different technique, tools, etc.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm finding that instead of mindlessly dragging a disposable over my face, I am aware of where the razor is by looking in the mirror, and aware of whether my angle is right and I'm getting a good shave, by sound and feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy