Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving travel set-up

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Gents,

I am expecting a WWI era Gillette military issue razor and case to be arrving very shortly. With the holiday coming up and knowing I will be traveling I am pretty excited to give this old razor a whirl.

Anyway, in looking at the kit I am expecting and my current home set up, I am wondering if folks have any advice in regards to traveling and wet shaving: any tips on inexpensive brushes, how to minimize soap and therefore not need to lug my mug with me etc.

Any hints or tips are appreciated!

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
You can buy travel soaps and brushes easily enough.

I always grab a tea cup or coffee mug wherever I'm staying... even a plastic cup should work in a pinch.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Yep, you could use a small brush and a shave stick (shave soap in a stick format). Just wet your face, rub the stick all over, and then face lather with the brush. Edwin Jagger makes a very nice travel brush with tube that I like. I actually travel with creams and a latte mug in my Dopp kit, and the mug hasn't broken yet.
Shave soaps and sticks:
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/shaving-soaps.html
And this is a very nice lil travel brush too:
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/siweesc.html

flylot74

One of the Regulars
Since the TSA would have a cow finding a straight razor in my Dopp kit, I use a Schick injector with a travel tube of Truefitt & Hill 1805 shave cream and a cheap Badger brush I picked up for the princely sum of $16 at (http://www.mysteryrazor.com). I use a large pill bottle courtesy of Walgreens with holes drilled in it for air circulation to store the brush. A coffee cup in the room works to complete the ensemble.

I tried a puck of Van Der Hagen soap in a small tupperware bowl with lid, but I found the travel tube of shave cream is a bit more compact and easier to use when away from home.

matei

One Too Many
Interesting topic... I'm facing this issue now, as we're off to Oslo at the end of the week for a few days.

At home I use a Merkur safety razor, a badger brush and a mug (actually a small bowl). I'm a bit hesitant to travel with my Merkur in my carry-on, as they'd probably confiscate the blades, so I'll most likely have to put my washbag with my checked luggage.

What did people of yesteryear do re. cream/soap?

I hate shaving cream in a can, I'd much rather have something like my soap but the thought of carrying a leaky, bulky ceramic mug or bowl doesn't thrill me.

I guess I'll give shaving paste (?) in a tube a go. I tried it in the past and wasn't too thrilled with it.

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
I travel a llot with the army and something I did a long time ago as a quick fix turned out to be a really good idea. My ex-wife decided she did not like the shaving mug I had picked up and proceded to "accidently" drop it shattering it to pieces. Well later that day we were is the pipe shop and I saw an aluminum dip can that had some designes on it and I thought well I can use that until I find a new mug. That was about seven years ago. The can holds a round of soap nicely, has been to Iraq twice, Germany once, and everywhere in between. I still would like to pick up a new shaving mug sometime but I am going to keep the tin for travel. I was also thinking of picking up one of those travel brushes to make life just that much easier.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522951/296971.htm

Edward

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I have found 'Jack Black' shaving creme in a tube works real well when travelling. I normally use 'Crabtree and Evelyn" shave soap, which comes in a teak bowl with lid, but when travelling, the tube of Jack Black is hard to beat!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Shangas,
Most of them come ready made. Some vendors do offer new roll on dispensers similar to the ones deodorant/antiperspirant comes in, into which you "could" melt a glycerin based soap. I don't know personally how effective a glycerin soap would be in stick form though. I'm sure Down Under you could find one of the many brands of shave sticks available. See my above link to the BullGoose website for examples to look for locally.

in/y

One of the Regulars
The family is heading on an extended 2 week vacation this summer. I was wondering if there were any other/new suggestions for a travel shaving brush. Are the turnback type (operating like a lipstick holder) of travel brushes better?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
shaving 001.JPG
shaving 003.JPG
shaving 005.JPG
shaving 006.JPG

Here's my vintage shaving travel kit. I have had it a good few years, thing is, I can't remember buying it, so it's probably a chance find by Tina. Whenever we are at a festival you can be sure that will produce the find of the day. Much as I love this travel pack I must admit I use a modern razor, but I never let on.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use Golddachs 35g soap bars with a snug fitting, dedicated chromed brass bowl, so quite small and lightweight. Mühle system shaver plus Mühle regular brush, small bottle of aftershave that’s it. With the rest of my stuff that takes just a small corner in my girlie‘s RIMOWA Aluminum beauty case.
But that only for trips of three or more weeks. Up to two weeks I usually don’t shave at all.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
Interesting topic... I'm facing this issue now, as we're off to Oslo at the end of the week for a few days.

At home I use a Merkur safety razor, a badger brush and a mug (actually a small bowl). I'm a bit hesitant to travel with my Merkur in my carry-on, as they'd probably confiscate the blades, so I'll most likely have to put my washbag with my checked luggage.

What did people of yesteryear do re. cream/soap?

I hate shaving cream in a can, I'd much rather have something like my soap but the thought of carrying a leaky, bulky ceramic mug or bowl doesn't thrill me.

I guess I'll give shaving paste (?) in a tube a go concrete sealing minneapolis. I tried it in the past and wasn't too thrilled with it.
Hey. I'm excited! I might get a job requiring me to to travel. Although I'll be working in a central office(communications) I still want to keep my grooming up. I was wondering what you guys do while travel. What euipment you take with you ect....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner