Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigans

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
this one just sold on U.S. ebay for £294:

Olive-2_zps4y1nrcpc.jpg

Olive-1_zpspn8ixn0w.jpg

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Going back to the start of this thread, it makes the Black Sheep Knitwear Shawl collar at £115 look a positive steal!

D

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the Black Sheep one has a post 60s look though.
the 20s-40s ones are desirable to those who want a cardigan to fit into a 20-40s period look. and they're scarcer. hence the higher prices !

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Edward, the knit is very heavy in the earlier cardigans, called 'shaker' knit and it has a distinctive mini 'chevron' pattern.

it's a very sturdy, heavy ply wool. many later cardigans are made with lighter 'Donegal' type wool which has a fuzzier, sometimes mottled look. that's not to say there's anything wrong with that type of wool, but it won't have the solid look of the earlier sweaters. also, buttons rather than toggles.

the subtleties of the overall 'cut' are harder to explain in words, and pictures really do the talking:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-25%20at%2011.46.06_zpsiswi1ust.png

Olive-1_zpspn8ixn0w.jpg

Vintage-Shawl-Collar-Sweater-Letterman-Front_zpsouff09q5.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Ah! I see. Thanks! We need to get SJC onto these!

Edward, the knit is very heavy in the earlier cardigans, called 'shaker' knit and it has a distinctive mini 'chevron' pattern.

it's a very sturdy, heavy ply wool. many later cardigans are made with lighter 'Donegal' type wool which has a fuzzier, sometimes mottled look. that's not to say there's anything wrong with that type of wool, but it won't have the solid look of the earlier sweaters. also, buttons rather than toggles.

the subtleties of the overall 'cut' are harder to explain in words, and pictures really do the talking:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-25%20at%2011.46.06_zpsiswi1ust.png

Olive-1_zpspn8ixn0w.jpg

Vintage-Shawl-Collar-Sweater-Letterman-Front_zpsouff09q5.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
JanSolo started this thread 4 1/2 years ago, but he has been noticeably absent for the past year or so. He used to call occasionally, but I haven't heard from him in a while. Anyone else had contact with him recently?

Nice sweaters, D-man. Is there anything you don't have at least one of? PC.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Hello everybody,

A couple of years ago I fell in love with a shawl collar cardigan that Aero had on their knitwear sales page. It was losely based on that type of cardigan Steve McQueen wore during a William Claxton photo shooting in Carmel/Big Sur. When I called them it was long sold out.

It looked pretty much like this.

mcqueen.jpg

However Aero’s version was considerably thicker and available in different colours. McQueen liked to wear shawl collar cardigans and I’ve seen several pictures of him (quite a number on various watch fora) wearing all sorts of these cardigans. Not only was he a good actor but he had an amazingly good sense for casual style.

4995102397_c1bd04d1e5_z.jpg

4995102403_191c56fb95_z.jpg

There have been several replicas of the “Big Sur”-cardigan during the last couple of years but most of them were made of cashmere/cashmere blend and were just too lightweight for my taste. I wanted something more rugged, made from heavier and rougher wool.

The way he dressed inspires people even today. A friend of mine always says: “Whenever I don’t know what to wear on a night out I consult Steve.” I have to agree, William Claxton’s book ‘Steve McQueen, photographs’ really is some sort of treasure chest.

Most interesting to see that Brad Pitt’s 1960s costumes in “The curious case of Benjamin Button” are very much based on what McQueen used to wear. We find an almost exact image of the “Great Escape” outfit: A2, Chinos, Boondockers and a short sleeved blue sweatshirt.

4995926824_d0acdb8bbc.jpg

Later in the film he is dressed with this:

4995515824_b87c8b1c86.jpg

When I watched the film I was really impressed by how well all costumes worked on several levels (forget the Belstaff jackets!!): They were stylish but also mirrored fashion trends of the 50s, 60s and early 70s very well. And damn, I wanted such a cardigan!

4995926820_85ba00013d.jpg

Pitt’s cardigan is supposed to be made by “Soviet Science” but I think it is more likely that it was a custom job for the film.
Anyway, I finally found what I was looking for: A slim fitting, super thick shawl collar cardigan that sticks to the original design. It’s made by Black Sheep /UK. They use very heavy undyed, oiled brown/grey wool for this piece of knitwear and the quality is outstanding.

4995926826_a011719541_z.jpg

Due to the patent knit pattern there is a lot (!) of wool in this cardigan. Repeated hand washing doesn’t affect the shape at all as long as it’s dried flat. I’ve handwashed mine twice to get a bit of the natural oil out and it’s still in great shape.

4995926828_7bed9515ff_z.jpg

My cardigan is fitted with horn toggles (which was requested by their German retailer) If you order directly through their site it will be fitted with leather covered “football type” buttons.
http://www.blacksheep.ltd.uk/

4995926838_edc5a83145_z.jpg

The usual suspect:

4995520603_0239be731f_z.jpg

What do you think?
I think it looks amazing! Great piece. Exceptional taste!

Amir

New in Town
Has anyone checked out Berk or Drakes shawl 4-ply cashmere cardigans for comparison purposes? Or anything similar?
How about multi-ply lambswool from a different maker?
I'm thinking Steve McQueen blue or grey goes with everything.

(As per my usual, my tastes do not align with my finances...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails