Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Mackinaws

mike

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
One of mine.
Unfortunately, I didn't find these canvas and sheepskin mackinaws warm enough to take one to Halifax with me. They seem to look a lot warmer than they actually are.

That's surprising! My horsehide trimmed, black wool shawl collared rail road coat is quite warm, and is often my go-to coat for the depths of winter. The horsehide is really hurting in a few spots. I think for next season I'm going to have Aero Leathers replace all the horsehide.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
How do you mean compare? In terms of warmth? Fit? Style?
Which pattern jeep coat to which kind of mackinaw?
I suppose i want to know how well the WWII style jeep coats, with the cotton shell and wool lining, keep you warm. Like this one from At The Front
us_uni_mackinaw_main.jpg

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I have an original of that Mackinaw -I think it is termed the "First Model' mackinaw. Anyway, it is an excellent,warm coat-probably why so few have survived. When turned up, that shawl collar offers very good protection,too. It's a good-looking coat that is not overtly military in appearance.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
what actually are the defining features of a 'Mackinaw' ?
:arated: I want to learn more too. I really love the shawl collar machinaws. ( I told you before when you sold some, Dinerman...too bad they were not my size)

The "mackinaws" on ebay often look like ordinary hunting jackets or heavy shirt jackets. I don't see the connection.

EDit: Ok so I did read the other thread on mackinaws now...Still don't get the criteria but want to own a jacket like this even more. Haha.

Last edited:

potemkin_city_limits

One of the Regulars
I just picked up this waxed cotton wool lined mackinaw jacket from Klaxon Howl here in Toronto. The jacket is more brown than it looks in this photo.

mackinaw.jpg

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
we don't really use the term 'Mackinaw' in Britain... what actually are the defining features of a 'Mackinaw' ?

here's an interesting one that just sold for a high price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300653873...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

It's a short double breasted coat of thick woolen material. It was developed in Canada and the northern US in the early 19th century. Similar to a heavy greatcoat but short so it can be worn in deep snow without getting soaked. In the early days they were made by hand from trade blankets which were made of thick wool in red, green, and in striped and plaid material.

The name "Mackinaw" comes from the Straits of Mackinac in northern Michigan. Sometimes called the Mackinaw region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinaw_cloth

pauleway

Practically Family
That jacket is very nice. They had a similar one on the History Preservation site and I think they were asking $300-$400. You got a great deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes