Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling Length Preferences?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi All,

Long time, no thread.

How long do you all like your shearling? (For whatever temperatures and adventures you find yourself in.)

I ask because, in my search for something warmer than my heavy wool overcoats, I just purchased a double-breasted shearling coat off of Ebay. Nice coat, but man is that shearling short! From the naked eye, it looks to be 3/16-1/4" "thick". I did not even know they made shearling that short! I think it may be more of a summer weight...

Philalethes

Mark

Practically Family
I have an Irvin with the shorter shearling and that's plenty warm enough for the coldest weather the UK has to offer. Unless its very cold where you are I would avoid too long a shearling as likely to be too warm and the jacket will spend most of its life in your wardrobe.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
+1 with Mark

The really thick, ironed teddy bear shearling may be fine for those really cold parts of the world, but it really limits use and makes bending your arms hella hard. :)

HighandDry

A-List Customer
My B-6 was way too hot.
I ordered a D1 with the shortest shearling that Aero had. The D1 shearling is probably 3/4 to 1/2 of the length of the B-6. Much more comfortable and makes it a October-Feb coat in temperate Seattle. Because of the modifications, Aero gave me a civilian tag, rather than the D1 tag.

thor

Call Me a Cab
HighandDry how's the shearling D-1 in the rain? Being in Seattle you must get quite a bit of rainfall. I've heard some horror stories of Irvin jackets getting soaked in some nasty English rainstorm and looking like a drowned teddy bear :-(

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My B-6 was way too hot.
I ordered a D1 with the shortest shearling that Aero had. The D1 shearling is probably 3/4 to 1/2 of the length of the B-6. Much more comfortable and makes it a October-Feb coat in temperate Seattle. Because of the modifications, Aero gave me a civilian tag, rather than the D1 tag.

I think Aero's new Irvin shearling is much shorter than of old, makes it much more usable IMO.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
HighandDry how's the shearling D-1 in the rain? Being in Seattle you must get quite a bit of rainfall. I've heard some horror stories of Irvin jackets getting soaked in some nasty English rainstorm and looking like a drowned teddy bear :-(

If it's raining hard, I don't wear the D-1. A lot of days here are just rain showers, rather than the steady rain and the D-1 has been fine with the light rain.

I wouldn't want to test the D-1 in a steady rain.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thanks HaD; I just picked up an older model LL Bean lambskin shearling leather bomber jacket (A-2/G-1 hybrid). It's got 1/2" shearling lining in the body, Thinsulate quilted sleeves and a real mouton fur collar (46 Long, mint condition, for $125!). This thing is super-warm! It's a perfect bang around jacket on a cold day with no real need for layering.
I'm thinking that any serious shearling jacket (Irvin, B-3, AN-J-4) would be almost too warm for all but the coldest climates.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen.

I did not think about the corresponding puffiness of the sleeves with longer shearling length - that would definitely be an issue for me.

So, I have had the chance to wear my shearling coat a few times (and I finally measured the shearling length, which is just over 1/4"). My assessment is that it is warmer than my heavy wool overcoats, even though it is lighter in weight. That is a nice plus. However, I have also determined that it is not as warm as I would like. I am looking for something that will keep me warm on cold days even when I am not moving. I also have the added "problem" of being "lipid accumulation challenged" - i.e. I do not have much body fat. I sink; do not float. So, I require a little more warmth than others. I am thinking maybe 1/2" would be ideal.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks HaD; I just picked up an older model LL Bean lambskin shearling leather bomber jacket (A-2/G-1 hybrid). It's got 1/2" shearling lining in the body, Thinsulate quilted sleeves and a real mouton fur collar (46 Long, mint condition, for $125!). This thing is super-warm! It's a perfect bang around jacket on a cold day with no real need for layering.
I'm thinking that any serious shearling jacket (Irvin, B-3, AN-J-4) would be almost too warm for all but the coldest climates.

Thief... I was lookin' at dat!!!! Almost bid. Probably too small though. EBay's a terrible drug!!!!

Worf

LouisBailie

Banned
Sawyer of CA made some of the best coats and jackets in the 70/s 750 to 1K back then, 3/4 inch long very warm. Just like this one, it was $1150 new http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAPA-VALLEY...65?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item2a4933bd2d they sell for a bargain now and you can buy and alter to fit for much less than new.

Aero/Alexander/GoodWear/LostWorlds make 1/2 in and 1 inch very warm longer the better you can always trim it if it is tight. 1K 2.5 K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran