Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Windward

Practically Family
jb771213 - welcome!
This jacket is called Windward - well made by Aero - and yes, it has two gun pockets inside with leather puller (deep enough for a Sig Sauer P226);)
Windward

Jules

New in Town
I have a Highwayman with a shearling lining (i asked for the thickest shearling) that i use when the weather is 0c and below I have used it to minus 30c .
At 0c its a little too warm and I have to open the zip if I am walking around but when it dips below that the shearling is great. It does add bulk and weight to the jacket but it isnt restrictive for me.
One thing worth noting is Aero do not line the sleeves with shearling but so far this hasnt been a problem as I normally wear a ight jumper underneath. The I think a B6(quater inch) type shearling would be a good compromise as you would still be able to layer underneath it to build up insulation or shed layers i it is warm.
I also have a Hercules with an alpacca lining i consider this lining to be a mild(5or10c) autumn/spring lining it adds very little insulation to the jacket you have to layer a lot if its cold. My hercules will be going back to Aero for a heavy shearling lining to make it in to the winter jacket i wanted.

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
Great thread, it's nice to read a comparison with alpaca. It's tough to decide something that will be warm but not too warm so as to receive maximum utility.

Peacoat

Bartender
I've been wearing leather jackets for many years in winter weather here in Indiana. Down to 0 and below..and although many leathers stiffen up outside in bitter cold...I've never had one develope 'cracks'..or crack open.

I agree with HD. I have never had a leather jacket crack because of below freezing temps. That must be an old wives' tale.

gruvi

Familiar Face
Sorry I must have misinterpreted your reply.
Excuse me. You were in another thread that was closed, and I read Butte was reprimanded. In my objective view, after locking of that thread, you're just goading here. I have mostly been an infrequent lurker here since joining, and I can state it is not fun and friendly currently. Letting it go on your end would mean we can get back to the fun times I hope :eek:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Excuse me. You were in another thread that was closed, and I read Butte was reprimanded. In my objective view, after locking of that thread, you're just goading here. I have mostly been an infrequent lurker here since joining, and I can state it is not fun and friendly currently. Letting it go on your end would mean we can get back to the fun times I hope :eek:

Agreed, my apologies.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I have a shearling from Frank Stella I bought at a garage sale, it feels thin when you handle it, it's not a big thick shearling (it's merino wool) and I can't believe how warm it keeps me, I can sweat in single digit temps. I would only line a jacket with shearling if I planned on wearing it from December to February (I live in upstate NY).

For the record I read the initial thread between Butte and "he who shall not be named" as it was happening and the other guy was frankly completely out of line, he edited his posts to not look so bad but he was really beyond the pall. On the other thread that was recently closed I really don't understand the complaint HD has with Butte, he gave some criticism but it was friendly and objective. You post a pic of yourself in a jacket here and you don't expect opinions or feedback on the fit and style? Why post it? What is the purpose and what are people supposed to say about it?

In the end a thicker skin will help here and in life in general.

Last edited:
When I lived in PA, blood was thicker and I was younger. Now, 30's is cold to me. Still love it, but need more in a jacket. I'll likely get a B6 or D1. The B3 knockoff wasn't a name brand.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
LOL now I'm getting life advice ;) Thanks, but I'm doing pretty well in life :)

Perhaps, I'm just disappointed with the general feel that the forum has now. It really has changed in the past year with so much more drama and maybe I got caught up in it. People use to post here and there was a genuine excitement about showing off their stuff. It was unlike many internet forums as there was a real sense of decorum here.

Perhaps I'm taking it all out on Butte -my apologies to you.

My Goodwear has a very trim fit- something I wanted. Some people liked it, some didn't. That's ok. What bothered me was having to defend the type of cut I wanted. Not historical accurate, don't care. It looks uncomfortable, how would you know. You're not trim enough for that jacket, I beg to differ. Too short, I know.

Having Butte take the jacket pic and poke fun at it definitely touched a nerve. I know it was a mistake and he was trying to put down the other guy, but it still irked me.

The only reason I posted the Goodwear pics is that Butte requested it. Having seen mine, he can make sure that John makes his jacket more to his liking. I believe that even though Butte disliked it, it will help him in his design of his Goodwear. That's the purpose of this forum (in my eyes). To see what people have done and then help you decide what you want.

As I said, I'm done with posting pics. I should have let the other thread go, but I really think it's not the right direction.

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Seriously when you post a pic of yourself modeling a jacket what are you looking for? Just a "great jacket" comment? Or do you actually want to know how your jacket (which is a significant investment) appears to an objective viewer? What if the jacket doesn't look great? I had a cafe racer that I frankly had to admit that I simply am not built for and I'm probably a decade too old to pull it off. It is what it is...

I'm not going to give you life advice, but I would say you are being a bit thin skinned. It's really not a big deal for someone to simply say "that jacket is a bit too short" after you post a pic of yourself modeling it.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
As I said, I'm not looking for style advice.

I only posted pics because it was requested, otherwise I would not have.

As I said, it was my fault to buy into the drama. However, this forum has never been about brutally honest appraisals, nor should it be.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Joel one point that hasn't been made by anyone, If you want an idea of how low a temperature you can wear leather in just read about the cockpit / fuselage temps in WW2 fighters and bombers, if you go somewhere cold enough to crack a good leather you are probably going to die of hypothernia anyway so the loss of the jacket would be the least of your problems.

What about blanket in the body and thinner wool overlined with satin in the sleeves, if you have something particular in mind and aero haven't got it you can get it and send it on to them to make the jacket with.

Please..! Must we really go through this crap again here? How many threads do you want to close down? I think someone needs a life lesson about sensativity...not able to get over it...and endless explanation that has become more than just a bit tiring. We have different personalities and opinions here..but also try to retain some grownup self moderation..before a bartender must step in.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Back on topic?
Joel, you have no worries about leather cracking due to cold. I've been in minus 70 windchill here in the Great Lakes area. I wear a B-3 when it gets lower than 15F. I work up a sweat just walking in it when it gets any warmer. I wear the B-6 between 15 and 32, if windy (longer length). A D-1 is a perfect jacket for all around wear under 40F.
The B-3 is nearly an inch thick of shearling, the others are 1/4 to 1/2 (B-6).
I think Aero still makes a shearling vest. That might be your best option.
M

Otter

One Too Many
Re Cracking, this might be the reason, direct quote lifted from wikipedia on the reasons for the development of the Ma1:
Prior to the invention of jet aircraft, fleece-lined leather jackets were issued to flight personnel. However, the new jets could fly at much higher altitudes and in much colder temperatures than propeller aircraft. If the heavy, bulky leather jackets became wet from rain (when the pilot walked to his aircraft) or from perspiration, the water would freeze at high altitudes, making the jackets cold and uncomfortable. Also, the new jets were more streamlined in design. Cockpits were cramped and filled with new equipment. Speedy, unimpeded access to and exit from cockpits became even more critical for safety. Rather than bulky leather, a sleek, lightweight yet warm jacket was needed for the new jet technology.

To meet these needs, a new type of flight jacket was developed from the existing B-15 jacket, which was initially produced in cotton, but later produced in the same pattern but in high quality nylon. The B-15 had a wool collar with pile (a little like fur) carried over from the earlier B-10 that was found to interfere with straps in practice. Nylon had been discovered prior to World War II but it was not used in flight clothing until after the war, possibly because the demand for nylon for items such as parachutes consumed the available supply during the war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart