Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I'm sending back my Highwayman for credit on a new Happy Days jacket and I'm trying to iron out the details. This is going to be a fall/winter jacket and I'm stressing function over form on this one. It's going to be a stock Happy Days in seal jerky HH and "Californian"-style front pockets (less steeply angled and therefore more accessible.) For the lining, I would line the whole thing in quilted lining, but I read Aero was out of it, and if true, I can't use a quilted lining. So my next best option is shearling. How thick do I order? I want a warm jacket but it needs to be lightweight enough to wear regularly. For the sleeves, I guess I'm stuck with rayon. Any suggestions? This jacket will be worn probably to freezing. Thank you.

D

Deleted member 16736

Is there a lining you would recommend that is more versatile?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
If you are only going to wear the jacket just down to freezing temps, I would just go with cotton drill or tartan. That way, you can wear the jacket in a variety of temps and adjust accordingly to the weather with layers.

For me, even the alpaca lining is too warm above 50.

Last edited:
Shearling would be very warm. I don't think it would be comfortable in temps above freezing.

Malarky! I have a B3 that I wear in SoCal! A thinner sheerling - a l B6 or D1 would be fine Joel. Or, as JanSolo told me, a double lining with Alpaca and Gaberdine. I like the sheerling, but have a 50's Half Belt Deluxe on order with Alpaca and a removable sheerling collar added for winter.
There are plenty of times a B3 is usable and enjoyable here. We get into the 20º's F here in the winter...and if you travel, it's wide-open what you'll encounter.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
LOL, I sold my B6, because it was too warm here in Seattle. Only time I wore it was when I went up to Canada and it was still warm down to 10 degrees. When I wore it above freezing, I started sweating.

I think you Cali people are just thin skinned! ;)

LOL, I sold my B6, because it was too warm here in Seattle. Only time I wore it was when I went up to Canada and it was still warm down to 10 degrees. When I wore it above freezing, I started sweating.

I think you Cali people are just thin skinned! ;)

LOL - I'm not really a SoCal person - born in Butte, MT, then Chicago, then Pennsylvania, But yes, over the years, I've certainly gotten thin(er) skinned. I love the cold, but I can easily wear a B3 here and enjoy it. :)

4spurs

One of the Regulars
A jacket might be fine at 40f walking around town, but if you get on a motorcycle it will not be as warm at speeds over 35mph. What sort of lining you get depends on what you are going to do while wearing the jacket.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks for all the replies. I thought leather was not good to wear below freezing. It might crack.

I don't ride, just walk a lot.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
LOL - I'm not really a SoCal person - born in Butte, MT, then Chicago, then Pennsylvania, But yes, over the years, I've certainly gotten thin(er) skinned. I love the cold, but I can easily wear a B3 here and enjoy it. :)

Living in Chicago I can say that Butte MT may be one of the coldest places on earth (nice Superfund site, too...).

Joel, riding or street? If you are just wearing it I too would recommend staying away from the shearling lining, it becomes too warm a coat for many (most?) of the weather you may encounter.

D

Deleted member 16736

Living in Chicago I can say that Butte MT may be one of the coldest places on earth (nice Superfund site, too...).

Joel, riding or street? If you are just wearing it I too would recommend staying away from the shearling lining, it becomes too warm a coat for many (most?) of the weather you may encounter.

Street. Sounds like a very warm lining may be unnecessary. My A-2 will suffice down to freezing and then my navy peacoat can take over below it. I'm afraid to wear leather below freezing.

Let me tell you the best thing I ever discovered. Well, my wife. Some years back, she bought me an electric vest for riding. Done. That's the only way I ride cold weather now. If it warms up, flip the switch. And on seriously cold days, you just laugh! It's great, and no bulky jackets needed.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Let me tell you the best thing I ever discovered. Well, my wife. Some years back, she bought me an electric vest for riding. Done. That's the only way I ride cold weather now. If it warms up, flip the switch. And on seriously cold days, you just laugh! It's great, and no bulky jackets needed.

Watch out if it rains though, eh? :)

Windward

Practically Family
Shearling is my favorite lining when it gets real cold around freezing - its not bulky because I asked for 1/2" shearling and since I am very soon begin to freeze I asked Aero for sleeve with alpaca PLUS an overlay with satin. Its comfy and cozy to walk downtown with just a T-Shirt or Shirt under my jacket in winter. BTW: None of my leather jacket are cracking in winter...

Here's what I am talking about...
BentleyWindwardshearlinglining.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

Beautiful picture. Gives me something to think about.

Makes me think of the shawl collar barnstormer.

I've been wearing leather jackets for many years in winter weather here in Indiana. Down to 0 and below..and although many leathers stiffen up outside in bitter cold...I've never had one develope 'cracks'..or crack open. The most usual form of cracking are vintage jackets with the fold of collars cracking and flaking probably due to sweat..and then drying out on a regular basis...or dry rot from poor storage.
A nice soft shearling like Windwards would seem ideal for 0 weather through probably 35 or so.
HD

I've been wearing leather jackets for many years in winter weather here in Indiana. Down to 0 and below..and although many leathers stiffen up outside in bitter cold...I've never had one develope 'cracks'..or crack open. The most usual form of cracking are vintage jackets with the fold of collars cracking and flaking probably due to sweat..and then drying out on a regular basis...or dry rot from poor storage.
A nice soft shearling like Windwards would seem ideal for 0 weather through probably 35 or so.
HD

Speaking of weathering...has anyone here used the Leatherique on a jacket for maintenance? specifically on goat and FQHH? Aero sells it on their site, and there's another thread on restoring with it. Just wondered if anyone uses this to keep the cracks away?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn