Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sheepskin care

apba1166

A-List Customer
I'm sorting jackets, and found an old (1980s) sheepskin, brown, creased, that fits me again! The surface is dry and crinkly...not been worn in 20+ years. Does one use anything on these....or just let it go? I have another, about same age, that still feels rubbery, less papery....

Thanks, Mark

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm sorting jackets, and found an old (1980s) sheepskin, brown, creased, that fits me again! The surface is dry and crinkly...not been worn in 20+ years. Does one use anything on these....or just let it go? I have another, about same age, that still feels rubbery, less papery....

Thanks, Mark

Mark, what you need is Pecard Antique Leather dressing. This what museums and the owners of original Irvin jackets (RAF sheepskin flying jacket) use on their jackets which are 70 - 80 years old. If you have a look in the "Original Irvin jacket owners" thread you'll hear more about it and see photos of what it can do for old leather and sheepskin.

There's a reason why museums use it!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Pecards is great stuff and ph neutral. For sheepskin garments I also recommend Lexol - it simply sprays on like a thin milk and rubs in easily. PH neutral too.

Last edited:

apba1166

A-List Customer
Thank you. I have Lexol (in a bottle) and have used it on an old goat and a very old HH jacket, and it was excellent. I also have the Langlitz cream here, which I think is silicon based. The jacket isn't "flaking"--not gone that way yet, I wore it yesterday and it still has a lot of flex. Just feels dry. Maybe I'll try the Pecards Antique and see what happens....Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran