Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheepskin jacket maintenance

Naphtali

Practically Family
While the 2Plus2 I have coming is larger, heavier than Irvin- or B3-style sheepskin jackets, I imagine my questions include them also.

When not being worn, how - and with what - are very heavy sheepskin jackets, such as 2Plus2 and Irvin (styles) hung without stretching leather or compressing wool?

What routine maintenance - leather treatment, wool cleaning - should be done, and on what schedule? The idea of dry cleaning a leather garment at any old shop frightens me.
How does the information change were the leather horsehide rather than sheepskin? Were the wool/alpaca insulation a lining rather than integral with the leather?

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
I have a shearling coat and all I do each year is clean it with special liquid given to me by the manufacturer. If you have it professionally cleaned it will lose some luster.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Most Irvin owners - including myself - use to keep our jackets lying flat down in the bottom of a closet during the summertime. Don't leave it on a hanger. Especially if the hanger is too small.

Cleaning? I've never come to that.:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've got a few shearlings and I've never treated them with anything. Just stored them in a a cool dry closet, year-round.

Mark P

Familiar Face
I hang my B6 up out of the winter season - A hanger is OK but it must be very deep at the shoulder, to spread the weight of the jacket, to avoid stretching.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I give my original wartime Irvins a light coat of Pecards about once a year, but I would not recommend using it on new sheepskin as it wont need it for years.

alfyman

One of the Regulars
sheepskin maintenance

I did hung up my sheepskin jacket in the closet, and now I have two extra bumps on the shoulders, Well Now that I have a New Sheepskin jacket i will follow the rules and take better care of this one.

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
Mark P said:
I hang my B6 up out of the winter season - A hanger is OK but it must be very deep at the shoulder, to spread the weight of the jacket, to avoid stretching.

Sound advice. My ELC Irvin lives on a hanger, but is custom made (by me) to the exact width of the shoulders, with wide pads at the end. As yet, it has not stretched or deformed at all, after hanging for the last 6 months or so. The trick is to make the hanger fit the slope of the shoulder perfectly, so it is supported at all points.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Most Irvin owners - including myself - use to keep our jackets lying flat down in the bottom of a closet during the summertime. Don't leave it on a hanger. Especially if the hanger is too small.

Cleaning? I've never come to that.:)
^I have an Aero D-1, same routine. Laid flat in the summer inside a cedar closet. Big, wide and thick wooden hanger while in service in the coat closet. No cleaning either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff