Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sheer blouses

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Not stupid at all. That is a good question. I have a few vintage blouses that are sheer. Some have a small ruffle down the front or a sheer lace overlay but are still very sheer. I've always thought they were meant to be worn over a full slip and covered with a suit jacket. That's just what I've always assumed and never really thought more of it. The bra peeking through gives me a modern look and is usually how I wear them.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I don´t know about blouses made of fabric but I have knitting magazines dating to the early 50s that contain knitted blouses with the bra showing through. Maybe it wasn´t as untypical as we might think today?

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I've often wondered about this too. I noticed in the movie A league of their own Gina Davis is wearing quite a few sheer blouses and the cami is seen underneath every time not just a bra. I do recall a few other modern period movies fashioning the actresses the same way when they are seen wearing a sheer blouse. The slip or cami is always beige or white.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
It's a fine line to walk. I've never had too many sheer blouses, but had always worn a cami underneath. I guess if you have a super intricate bra/full girdle maybe, but I've never found the look to be becoming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112