Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheer Excitement!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Outdressing

Sorry to hear you had to go alone, but I thought I'd offer my advice on whether it's appropriate to outdress your date, as I was in a situation where I had to make that decision myself a short while ago (though it was just an informal meeting, not a dance).

All my friends told me to go without my usual grey fedora, and to wear a T-shirt and jeans. What did I do? Wore the hat, a blue shirt, black trousers and a brown leather jacket, which was definitely overdressed for an informal meeting in town. Did it spoil anything? Not at all, quite the contrary in fact.

My reasoning was that I should dress as myself, not as someone else and this is what I usually wear; I haven't worn a T-shirt and jeans for over a year.

So as for outdressing, I would say that if your are comfortable with it then go for it. I am more comfortable in a suit than in jeans, so if I had to attend an occaision with an optional dress code I would go formal rather than informal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou