Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Sherlock" BBC series.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I really doubt Sir AC Doyle could have begun to imagine the things that happened in the Hound episode. But I hope he would love it as much as I did!

Emily the Storyteller

New in Town
New to this thread, but I thought both the last series and this series have been brilliant so far. We need more programmes that actually make you use your head instead of having the plot handed to you on a plate.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!

Edward

Bartender
SPOILER ALERT::

One single flaw in tonight's episode: It would have been so, so much better *not* to have the fleeting glimpse of Sherlock himself at the end. We all know her ain't gone, no need to be blatant about it.

Edward

Bartender
I agree, but anyone who's read the story already knows anyway.

Exactly. No need for it. Actually, anyone who didn't know and thought he really was gone would also be in the same position as ACD's original readership: as memory serves, he had killed off Holmes, but was persuaded to write around that and bring him back a year or two later.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
These last three episodes have been amazing. I would have saved the final problem for later, but they executed it brilliantly. I see the point about not showing him at the end, but it still worked brilliantly.

Emily the Storyteller

New in Town
As someone who hasn't read the original books (I always mean to, but somehow never get round to it :( ), I thought the final episode was absolutely mindblowing. The acting, the production, the storyline... all superb. Does anyone else find Moriarty absolutely terrifying? At first his character's almost laughable, but then gradually you realise this is someone not to be messed with - it's like he's completely sane up until the point where he suddenly isn't any more. But even in his most sane moments there's something not quite right about him... He fascinates me. I need to read the original books and see how well this actor has portrayed him compared to the original; although I suspect, having read this thread, he's not that close...[huh]

vintage68

Practically Family
I need to read the original books and see how well this actor has portrayed him compared to the original; although I suspect, having read this thread, he's not that close...[huh]

I think you'll find that Benidict Cumberpatch is among the best (if not the best) portrayals of Holmes. As Cumberpatch has said, he plays Holmes as a "high-functioning sociopath" with slight Asperger's Syndrome tendencies, which I think fit the character very well.

Edward

Bartender
In my opinion, for all the modernisation of this series (which I find very clever, and somewhat refreshing after flagship British television drama has been dominated by period pieces for so many years) Cumberbatch is singularly the truest portrayal of the character as originally written of any yet committed to film. The little in-jokes and nodes to the original and the surrounding media characateurs are great too. I loved the running joke about the deerstalker in this latest series.

As to Moriarty, well.... the only difference between Jim and Sherlock is the end to which they put their formiddable talents and psychoses.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I was left speechless after last night's episode. And I knew how it would end. It was THAT good. And yes, Cumberbatch is now the Sherlock Holmes to beat.

Perfection.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
SPOILER ALERT::

One single flaw in tonight's episode: It would have been so, so much better *not* to have the fleeting glimpse of Sherlock himself at the end. We all know her ain't gone, no need to be blatant about it.

Absolutely. Just before the end we saw Watson reflected in the stone of the grave. i was expecting just to see the reflection of a figure joining him. Now that would have been a perfect ending - just enough of a hint of mystery (even though you know he's alive).

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
I adore the depiction of Holmes and Watson in this series. PBS replayed A Study in Pink last night. I hope that is a sign the the second series with be starting in the states soon.

Edward

Bartender
Absolutely. Just before the end we saw Watson reflected in the stone of the grave. i was expecting just to see the reflection of a figure joining him. Now that would have been a perfect ending - just enough of a hint of mystery (even though you know he's alive).

Yeah. This is one of those frustrating things you get when they're taking something intelligent to the mainstream - there inevitably has to be a bit of dumbing down here and there. I was actually more disappointed in the ending of the Irene Adler episode, but I chose to interpret that as a fantasy sequence. Oh well.

vintage68

Practically Family
P.S. Just found this link, it appears Sherlock has already been picked up for a third season:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/BBC-Sherlock-Return-Series-3-38659.html

Just after the finale aired in the U.K. (those of us in North America are still anxiously awaiting the premiere of the second series) the co-creators took to the social media platform to not only thank everyone for watching but to assuage any fears that it would be the end of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman’s stint as the historic characters. Moffat began by tweeting that not only was the series picked up for another season but also that this fact was never in doubt. The ‘gotcha’ was immediately echoed by co-creator Mark Gatiss, so the only thing left to do is rejoice...

...And curse their names for keeping us in suspense. Actually, it makes perfect sense to keep mum on the renewal until the second series actually finished airing. It not only spurred conversation - people love the show so much, they were genuinely worried it would not return - but keeping alive the perception that 'this could be the end' only made the season appear even more special. A must see before it’s gone. Of course, now that we know that the show and the stars will be back, despite their burgeoning film careers, we can all rest easy. And even though they surely won’t return for quite some time, I can’t wait.

BBC One’s Sherlock hits U.K. DVD/Blu-ray shelves on January 23 as well as US televisions in May on PBS. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the series was created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great interpretation. He'd make a cracking Dr Who too. As for the blatant ending...not all viewers are that bright, so one guesses it has to be spelled out to the lowest common denominator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot