Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki Horsehide Jacket

A-1

One Too Many
Oh Robbie,
That's really rude of the kentaurus owner! I've just been there once and haven't talked to him.
I hate people who are that superficial!
But well, you're on a nice journey, finding a really great jacket! Enjoy it as it's fun!
Either way, I think you'll get a fabulous jacket! The options you have are overwhelming.
Best regards, Zeki
Best regards

- Everything's Collapsing! -

A-1

One Too Many
Well made
Thicker Shinki than RMC/Himel
Oversized shoulders compared to chest dimension
Yeah, I’ve checked the measurements and they’re strange. The chest is very small on the sizing and the shoulders too wide. True. I thought this might be a mistake in measuring. I don’t like too tight chests, they’re uncomfy in the armpits.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Hi Robert

As A-1 (Zeki) already mentioned, also from my very own experience to avoid any unpleasant surpises: FW, RMC & esp. Flathead Jackets should be tried on! (because they are basically made for japanese physique & of course japanese market). E.g.: I tried on a FW Brakeman coat once, while measurements scored exactly my index the fit wasn't... because japanese people overall are more flat chested, straight shoulder etc. - simply another physique. (E.g. same on boots: most japanese made or made for japanese market boots/shoes are E wide, because... another foot anatomie on japanese people.

Edit:
Another very important thing how a jacket will fit: Where and how armpits are located/made... this little fact can kill a jacket fit (own experience with a RMC "House style" A-2)!

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Robert

As A-1 (Zeki) already mentioned, also from my very own experience to avoid any unpleasant surpises: FW RMC & esp. Flathead Jackets should be tried on! (because they are basically made for japanese physique & of course japanese market). E.g.: I tried on a FW Brakeman coat once, while measurements scored exactly my index the fit wasn't... because japanese people overall are more flat chested, straight shoulder etc. - simply another physique. (E.g. same on boots: most japanese made or made for japanese market boots/shoes are E wide, because... another foot anatomie on japanese people.

In my experience, RMC products have more traditional sizing; in other words, the shoulder/chest/sleeve length combinations are consistently well suited to western customers with longer arms/torsos. In contrast, FW sizing varies from product to product -- with certain FW products, the sleeve length can be an issue -- with other products, the shoulder width can be an issue -- many FW shirts are very long.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
In my experience, RMC products have more traditional sizing; in other words, the shoulder/chest/sleeve length combinations are consistently well suited to western customers with longer arms/torsos. In contrast, FW sizing varies from product to product -- with certain FW products, the sleeve length can be an issue -- with other products, the shoulder width can be an issue -- many FW shirts are very long.

+1 About RMC: has updated their cuts sizes over last few yrs (+5yrs back some of RMC Stuff had a really weird cut/fit)... not least because to expand their business on western hemisphere (latest adaption are RMC "only" shops in London & NYC). But still... to get on safe side: try them on!

Last edited:

Benj

One of the Regulars
While Flat Head is my favorite brand I would recommend against buying their leather jackets unless you are have a very skinny torso. Even speaking as someone who loves the brand and owns a bunch of their shirts, who likes the dropped shoulder look, the shoulders on thel leathers are just way too big. And with leather jackets it makes a difference. Quality is at least on par with RMC from what I've seen though...

If you have large biceps I would avoid the Real McCoy's J-100, pretty narrow arms...only thing I would change about it.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hello,
Thank you for your very helpful recommendations regarding jacket sizing - I highly appreciate your help!! I will consider this when buying a jacket.

Kind regards,
Robbie
Hi Robert

As A-1 (Zeki) already mentioned, also from my very own experience to avoid any unpleasant surpises: FW, RMC & esp. Flathead Jackets should be tried on! (because they are basically made for japanese physique & of course japanese market). E.g.: I tried on a FW Brakeman coat once, while measurements scored exactly my index the fit wasn't... because japanese people overall are more flat chested, straight shoulder etc. - simply another physique. (E.g. same on boots: most japanese made or made for japanese market boots/shoes are E wide, because... another foot anatomie on japanese people.

Edit:
Another very important thing how a jacket will fit: Where and how armpits are located/made... this little fact can kill a jacket fit (own experience with a RMC "House style" A-2)!

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hello again,
I have just had a look at the Flat Head jackets and I really like this one (
Flat Head Delraiser Horsehide Jacket)
http://www.selfedge.com/jackets-vests?product_id=1413

Even if I am not a motobike rider, I really like the style and the fact that it has no belt. What is your opinion/experience of this jacket and the maker Flat Head both from quality and workmanship point of view?
Just too many jackets of different maker I am thinking about now.....getting confused and need to save money ;-)
Many thanks,
Robbie

Blackadder

It is true that these Japanese made jackets have high armholes and very narrow sleeves. The chest is likely to be quite on the spot i.e. a size 38 jacket will likely be 20 inches when measured across. Most heavier built Japanese motorcyclists I see actually have to order from Langlitz as they cannot hope to wear the Japanese brands because their slim cutting is not very practical. (The big guy who runs the Vanson dealer at Tokyo wears Langlitz.)

RMC has actually made their J-24 slimmer but has started offering larger sizes up to 46.

I just went into Flathead's store in Osaka last Sunday. They offer rather tight fitting clothes and focus on motorcyclist style.
Their jackets are very well made. Very small production run on their leather jackets and better quality control than RMC. Their tees are not as well made as their jackets. Their prices though are slightly higher than RMC which is why most people just went for the RMC.
With RMC, my experience is that for J-100 you may order your normal size but for J-24, you probably have to size up.
In my experience, shiniki is thinner and not as supple as HH used by say Lost Worlds and Horween CXL. It has an armour look and feel. Zippers on these Japanese repros are also not very reliable but then some have mentioned that the Talon zipper that has been faithfully reproduced is too small and light for these leather jackets.

Last edited:

Benj

One of the Regulars
You're sure their tees are not as nice as their jackets? I have so many FH tees and their incredible. Nothing better.

Blackadder

You're sure their tees are not as nice as their jackets? I have so many FH tees and their incredible. Nothing better.
I am sorry. I should have made it clear. It is the thermal tees I am referring to. It has to do with the elasticity after washing.
Their short sleeves tees are very well made like RMC, Iron Heart etc.

Last edited:

jon11

A-List Customer
Freewheelers sizing is all over the place, if you are a 40" or any size for that matter, most of their jackets have different shoulder, chest sizes etc. You buy from Japan its your with no return also if it does fit. RMC offer returns from their shop for instance in NYC and London. Their sizing is pretty consistent as well. Be prepared for a polished high gloss finish to Freewheelers leathers made from Shinki.

Last edited:

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Freewheelers sizing is all over the place, if you are a 40" or any size for that matter, most of their jackets have different shoulder, chest sizes etc. You buy from Japan its your with no return also if it does fit. RMC offer returns from their shop for instance in NYC and London. Their sizing is pretty consistent as well. Be prepared for a polished high gloss finish to Freewheelers leathers made from Shinki.[/

Hi, Thank you for your advice regarding high gloss finish of Freewheelers jackets and regarding sizing! Kind regards, Robbie

Benj

One of the Regulars
This is the "caboose" from a member on another forum. I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to have a leather like this. It's perfect in my eyes.

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

A-1

One Too Many
Hi benj, I like the design of the back. But the leather is not my cup of tea. A little too much gloss for me.

- Everything's Collapsing! -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic