Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki Horsehide Jacket

Juanito

One of the Regulars
Could anybody please tell me how shinki behaves in the rain?
I have a Good Wear Rough Wear A-2 in a veg tanned, semi-aniline Shinki Horsehide and it is a sponge in the rain. Like you, I live in a very wet climate (Oregon) and the jacket simply can't be worn in the rain, unlike a pigment dyed jacket. Beautiful and stunning jacket but impractical like a Ducati 916 used as a city commuter bike.

I am sure that my Shinki GW Ventura did shrink when it got soaked a couple times.
If I were getting another one made in that hide, I'd get it larger. Some say they've never had a leather jacket shrink, but my response is that I've had a couple shrink on me.
I know that when the lining becomes larger than the leather jacket it's not me gaining holiday weight. Just saying - don't know if it was a certain type/batch, but mine is most definitely a bit smaller...

Juanito

One of the Regulars
I will echo what Superfluous said and argue that Diamond Dave's work can be very good and his prices are unbeatable, but the quality is not on par with any of the other makers listed.

I have a number of Good Wear jackets and a bunch from just about everyone else except Bill Kelso. The two Diamond Dave jackets are perhaps not up to the quality of a Good Wear in terms of symmentry, but the overall quality, stitching, is excellent and far better than that of my original jackets. IMHO the extremely minor marginal difference in quality at full pop between a DD at say $849 and a GW at $1,550, is not worth it. The DD jackets are by far the best deal out there--excellent jackets at a basement price.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have a number of Good Wear jackets and a bunch from just about everyone else except Bill Kelso. The two Diamond Dave jackets are perhaps not up to the quality of a Good Wear in terms of symmentry, but the overall quality, stitching, is excellent and far better than that of my original jackets. IMHO the extremely minor marginal difference in quality at full pop between a DD at say $849 and a GW at $1,550, is not worth it. The DD jackets are by far the best deal out there--excellent jackets at a basement price.

As far as value for money, yes he is definitely the best deal out there for sure. On his good days his work is incredible. I just wish his consistency would improve. His best jackets are equal to those of the best makers.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's a beautiful jacket GrayLand. I had also never thought of the impact of rain on a shinki. Very handy information.

A-1

One Too Many
I’m not planning on getting it soaked all the time! It’s just inevitable to get wet from time to time.
My DD in Shinki is already rather on the comfy/larger side.

But Butte, you know that some people tend to grow when they get watered, don’t you?

mr_lits

A-List Customer
... impractical like a Ducati 916 used as a city commuter bike. Nice analogy, I need to tell my coworker, exactly what he commutes to work with. Ha.

dan_t

Practically Family
Let's be honest here, either Shinki or Vincenza would be a superb hide. Only people here would even know the differences.
If the question was "money is no object & I want the best - which one?", then it makes sense.
Otherwise, Shinki may be the preferred, but it's not as if anyone is going to order a custom made Vicenza jacket & be disappointed.
It's like choosing between a top end Porsche or Farrari, they're both stellar & at the top of the market. One is likely to be preferred by some over the other, but both are really, really great choices.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's be honest here, either Shinki or Vincenza would be a superb hide. Only people here would even know the differences.but it's not as if anyone is going to order a custom made Vicenza jacket & be disappointed. . . . One is likely to be preferred by some over the other, but both are really, really great choices.

Agree. Both are excellent mid-weight horse hides. Notwithstanding my preference for Shinki, I would not hesitate to buy another jacket made from Vicenza HH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL