Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipping Outside the US

Roland Nicholson

Familiar Face
Just received my Flat Head Single Riders Jacket in Melbourne, Australia, from fellow Lounger Pruthvi Nagilla. It was sent about 10days ago, I’m very happy.

Because I see a number of members not offering shipment outside the US, I just wanted to let everyone know the transaction can be easy, fast & safe.

FEDEX or DHL will advise you shipping costs based on the destination, so this can be agreed as part of the transaction. Only extra paperwork is an Export Declaration.

Best regards,

Roland

P2D

One of the Regulars
Live in Australia and never had an issue getting stuff from the states (or sending stuff there)

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It all comes down to destination duty / tax and how the export paperwork for the item is prepared.

My FH SR jacket shipped from Rivet and Hide and they included the cost of shipping and duty. I realize it’s buried in the cost, but I paid what most others here did which was $2150 USD.

I bought a Mulholland from Sendai Speedway and paid roughly $300 in import duty.

Iron Heart “includes” all tax and duty in the selling price, which I far prefer. There are ZERO surprises and they list the prices in your home country currency.

Safly, I bought a pair of IH 666 slub jeans from a retailer in the US last week (IH UK was sold out with no news and when the next batch would be produced). The jeans cost me $236 alone in duty, tax and “government fees”. I just don’t have the energy to dispute the charges lol. Been there done that.

I don’t see why the shipper would be reluctant to sell abroad, but I can see why the buyer may have pause.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
My reason for not shipping abroad is because potential buyers always ask ”how much to ship t….” I put in the effort to get the price and they get sticker shock and don’t buy or want to negotiate it off the price. Selling in country of residence is just easier.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
I'm always happy to ship abroad. I just sent three pairs of Alden loafers to Wales this morning!

My advice is to ship using USPS if shipping to a non-US destination.

I've only had one case using USPS where the buyer had to pay import duties, but until I learned my lesson multiple cases with DHL and FedEx--even when the import fees were clearly unwarrented.

And, as Guppy said, I only ship abroad if paid by PPFF or the buyer is someone I know.

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
It all comes down to destination duty / tax and how the export paperwork for the item is prepared.

My FH SR jacket shipped from Rivet and Hide and they included the cost of shipping and duty. I realize it’s buried in the cost, but I paid what most others here did which was $2150 USD.

I bought a Mulholland from Sendai Speedway and paid roughly $300 in import duty.

Iron Heart “includes” all tax and duty in the selling price, which I far prefer. There are ZERO surprises and they list the prices in your home country currency.

Safly, I bought a pair of IH 666 slub jeans from a retailer in the US last week (IH UK was sold out with no news and when the next batch would be produced). The jeans cost me $236 alone in duty, tax and “government fees”. I just don’t have the energy to dispute the charges lol. Been there done that.

I don’t see why the shipper would be reluctant to sell abroad, but I can see why the buyer may have pause.
Wish I'd known that about R&H including the Duty fees. That held me back from ordering anything over $800 from them. They wouldn't really tell me directly over the phone, but I should have been more persistent apparently. Good info, thank you.

Al 916

One Too Many
I honestly see more EU members refusing to ship globally
Never noticed that, I have sold and shipped from the UK to Europe, Canada and USA without problems. (PPF&F is just a given on all forum buys and sales). The additional import taxes are a pain and a barrier (if the item meets criteria)

Dansoldschool

One of the Regulars
Sold same amount to the U.S. and Canada as to European countries. Tax declaration is easy and it’s also easy to get shipping costs from DHL, FedEx and UPS.
And thank you for this thread as I often read here to Shipping only within the U.S. . I prefer to make an easy sale too but I never refused an intercontinental sale.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
My thing is this: If international shipping is not offered, IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK.

When I list items for sale, I try to include shipping to the CONUS in my price. This is really only because in most cases, I can ship with USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail to anywhere in the CONUS for a known price of I believe $22.18. This flat rate is not available for international shipping but if the buyer wishes to pay the additional shipping costs (above the $22.18) to ship to their country, I have zero problem accommodating that request. In many cases, the buyer is perfectly willing to pay the extra cost. Guys from Oz or Canada especially seem to know the situation and are prepared to pay extra to get shipping to them. I have shipped multiple jackets to both places. I feel bad for the Europeans who have to pay ridiculous import taxes on used clothing. Its like a conspiracy by the EU to force all Europeans to have to wear Mall jackets.

Not to get off track --- but my pet peeve is these American LOCAL PICK UP ONLY Sellers.......... Talk about a moronic limitation on the market!! I guess if the Seller is physically unable to ship that's a valid reason. But just being a lazy ass who wants someone to cruise by and pick up their $400 vintage jacket somewhere in BFE is puzzling to me. People these days are more than willing to pay for shipping. Shipping is part of daily life these days. Duhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
My thing is this: If international shipping is not offered, IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK.

When I list items for sale, I try to include shipping to the CONUS in my price. This is really only because in most cases, I can ship with USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail to anywhere in the CONUS for a known price of I believe $22.18. This flat rate is not available for international shipping but if the buyer wishes to pay the additional shipping costs (above the $22.18) to ship to their country, I have zero problem accommodating that request. In many cases, the buyer is perfectly willing to pay the extra cost. Guys from Oz or Canada especially seem to know the situation and are prepared to pay extra to get shipping to them. I have shipped multiple jackets to both places. I feel bad for the Europeans who have to pay ridiculous import taxes on used clothing. Its like a conspiracy by the EU to force all Europeans to have to wear Mall jackets.

Not to get off track --- but my pet peeve is these American LOCAL PICK UP ONLY Sellers.......... Talk about a moronic limitation on the market!! I guess if the Seller is physically unable to ship that's a valid reason. But just being a lazy ass who wants someone to cruise by and pick up their $400 vintage jacket somewhere in BFE is puzzling to me. People these days are more than willing to pay for shipping. Shipping is part of daily life these days. Duhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
"sEe mY aDd on CraigSList" hahha

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
I actually have got some real gems off of Craigslist......... usually after days of courtship to get them to believe I am not a scammer
I'm sure they were happy that you found them! I just think the idea of posting on an international online forum and state that it's for local pickup only is delusional. Put it on FB Marketplace. Don't post it on a site that has a relatively small demographic that's cast across the four corners of the earth! I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but still...

Roland Nicholson

Familiar Face
Just received my Flat Head Single Riders Jacket in Melbourne, Australia, from fellow Lounger Pruthvi Nagilla. It was sent about 10days ago, I’m very happy.

Because I see a number of members not offering shipment outside the US, I just wanted to let everyone know the transaction can be easy, fast & safe.

FEDEX or DHL will advise you shipping costs based on the destination, so this can be agreed as part of the transaction. Only extra paperwork is an Export Declaration.

Best regards,

Roland
Thanks for all the input, all great comments. I just wanted to put it out there that International shipping should not be a barrier to any seller.

Overriding rule domestically or internationally: No Mun No Fun. Don’t let an item leave your possession until you have payment.

Very valid points were made about Customs Fees in the buyer’s country. They are the buyer’s responsibility.

In Australia, the Govt signed eBay up, so those fees are paid to eBay & they pay the Govt.

Buying through TFL or other private sellers, mostly, avoid the taxes & charges. I did not pay anything additional for my jacket yesterday, lucky!

Roland

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Thanks for all the input, all great comments. I just wanted to put it out there that International shipping should not be a barrier to any seller.

Overriding rule domestically or internationally: No Mun No Fun. Don’t let an item leave your possession until you have payment.

Very valid points were made about Customs Fees in the buyer’s country. They are the buyer’s responsibility.

In Australia, the Govt signed eBay up, so those fees are paid to eBay & they pay the Govt.

Buying through TFL or other private sellers, mostly, avoid the taxes & charges. I did not pay anything additional for my jacket yesterday, lucky!

Roland
Buried in all this shipping talk and we forgot to ask …. may we see some fit pictures of your beautiful jacket ?!

jglf

A-List Customer
I’ve had numerous oversees members wanting to buy my jackets and every time I tell them the shipping costs, they are shocked and back out. Oversees shipping is only reasonable if you have a business account, otherwise it is usually $100-$200 to ship. That is why I only sell in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran